Why become a member? ×

Boys : if your partner / wife has a one in, one out rule on basses...

topo morto

I have to say my mum has softened up a bit since i got ill. I carried in (well, not literally, somebody else carried it) a new amp and a new guitar since i got ill. Which has only prompted a "You need that like a hole in the head". She has also said that i can't get more stuff than i can store in my room, but i was shocked when SHE brought up the idea of wall hangers for my guitars and basses in my room!

[quote name='topo morto' timestamp='1361822531' post='1991565']
That's sometimes quite a useful perspective to have on tap. At least it encourages you to buy more different stuff ("not taking the Stingray tonight, think I'll grab my komungo")
[/quote]

I think you'll find it's the opinion of most people who don't really know anything about instruments.

And if i'm not taking the stingray, i normally fill in the low end with a didgeridoo.

[quote name='topo morto' timestamp='1361822531' post='1991565']
...think I'll grab my komungo
[/quote]

I did that this morning... oo-err... [i]and[/i], staying on topic, I have a room where I can store all my music stuff, practise (bass, not komungo), have my studio, computer, desk, monitors, etc etc AND I get the cupboard under the stairs for cabs and so on when they're not in use. Sweet!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1361822865' post='1991576']
I did that this morning... oo-err... [i]and[/i], staying on topic, I have a room where I can store all my music stuff, practise (bass, not komungo), have my studio, computer, desk, monitors, etc etc AND I get the cupboard under the stairs for cabs and so on when they're not in use. Sweet!
[/quote]

Em... why is your avatar a dog gun? :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1361822865' post='1991576']
[/quote]

Where do you keep all your avatars though?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1361823050' post='1991580']
Em... why is your avatar a dog gun? :D
[/quote]

Dammit, I ordered a gun dog!

[quote name='topo morto' timestamp='1361823051' post='1991581']
Where do you keep all your avatars though?
[/quote]

In the shed along with my komungo mags.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='topo morto' timestamp='1361819368' post='1991466']
...why do you put up with that kind of thing?
Do you give her a one in, one out rule on handbags or pairs of shoes?
Or do you secretly like having an excuse to keep the collection manageable?
[/quote]
If that was the nature of my relationship then I wouldn't be in that relationship, nor expect her to want to be in it either.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1361823232' post='1991592']
If that was the nature of my relationship then I wouldn't be in that relationship, nor expect her to want to be in it either.
[/quote]

Exactly.

My dad buys lots of cars and stuff. He doesn't keep secrets from my mum, and he will tell her if he is going to buy a car, but a lot of the time, if she doesn't ask, he won't tell. He's not trying to avoid it, he just doesn't feel the need to bring it up.

When i was born, i was supposed to be called Martin Geard. My dad returned from the registry office and said "Ah, i just decided to call him Martin John instead".

And i just decided to call myself Milton :D (massive digression).

In the almost six years we've been together I've taken my other half to more gigs than she has been to in her whole life. Now she hears that all of the guitars (only 5 now) I've got have their own unique sounds & she sees them getting played.
It's when we go to tool shops that she gets worried....... "Ooooh, TOYS!!" :lol:

My ex never demanded one out for one in, but it has worked like that most of the time at any rate, as it was the only way I could afford the new thing I [s]lusted after[/s] deemed absolutely necessary for my development.

These days, living alone, if I want a new bass, I sell a car, a synth or a kayak, so essentially the one-in-one-out principle still rules. I wouldn't want it to be different either, as I like to keep my possessions somewhat limited in number.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1361824716' post='1991629']
...if I want a new bass, I sell a car, a synth or a kayak, so essentially the one-in-one-out principle still rules. I wouldn't want it to be different either, as I like to keep my possessions somewhat limited in number.
[/quote]

Very Zen of you, Bert, I must say and - kayak??

Mrs D knows that my basses have earned far more than they cost and knows of my 'professional' attitude to my tools - I'm not one for gas. It's just never been an issue , never even been discussed. She thinks it's hilarious that I have mates who sneak new basses home.

On.. and STICKYBELLYFLAPCOCK

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1361827334' post='1991690']
My wife has one rule (which I heartily support) - all instruments are to be played. I can have as many as I like, but if any fall out of favour then I must sell them. No basses under the bed/stashed in the attic in my house.
[/quote]

I don't even understand why people stash basses. This future classic nonesense is a load of crap. Buy an instrument, play it. If it becomes valuable in the future, that's alright, sure sell the bass that you have been playing for 20 years because it's worth more now than ever (although that doesn't make much sense either) but don't bloody stash it in anticipation of it becoming valuable.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1361827678' post='1991701']
I have a similar policy.

One bass in, one wife out. :)
[/quote]

Do you have 2 conveyor belts running opposite directions to each other? Wives come in one end and exit through the other, where the basses come it.

It's a bit flawed. Maybe the bass conveyor belt should go straight into a massive music room, where you have several polish warehouse workers, frantically lifting them off and trying to find an empty space to store them.