Why become a member? ×

Boys : if your partner / wife has a one in, one out rule on basses...

topo morto

I used to sneak in new gear when I was with my ex, but only because she was a massive pain in the arse whenever I told her I bought something! I'd eventually let her see it, and blame her terrible memory for her apparent lack of knowledge about it :lol:

Edited by chrismuzz

My HUSBAND is very tolerant of my kit.... Although he was surprised when I bought a rather sw***y Phil Jones Bass amp and cabs :P

He's the one who buys shoes!! He calls boxes from Clarks his "little boxes of happiness" :lol:

I don't think gender matters, but respect does. OH and I pay our way equally with the bills, but what we have left we can spend on what we want. If you think bass kit is expensive, you should see how much his camera kit costs!!!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1361821450' post='1991536']

YES, IT'S BECAUSE IT HAS [b][size=5]'W A N K'[/size][/b] IN THE MIDDLE OF IT!! :D
[/quote]

Blimey I wonder how many other normal words have swear words in them,

better not talk about a trip to S C U N T H O R P E or watching A R S E N A L football :P

Anyhow, as you were....!!

Edited by SpaceChick

I did read, either on here or on talkbass, about a bassist who, with a similar dilemma, worked around it by buying a neck, then a body, then electrics - you get the idea - and assembling it. When his other half questioned/interrogated him on it, he replied, quite honestly that at no point had he bought a new bass, he had bought many different items over a period of time, then fixed them together, the sum of those parts equating to a bass.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1361820744' post='1991514']
The current mrs discreet couldn't care less about how much gear I've got as long as I pay for it myself! :D
[/quote]

I thought the common issue was the wife/girlfriend wants something and the husband/boyfriend says "Have you got the money for it?"

No, is that just every single male in my family? ok then... :mellow:

I have 2 basses (an OLP and a Jazz bass) an electric guitar, and an acoustic guitar. My mother will often say things like "How many guitars do you need?". The trouble is, anybody who isn't a musician won't be able to tell the difference between all the little things that we so often bang on about on here. To my mum, my basses sound like basses, and my guitars sound like guitars.

And i suppose people put up with it to keep the other half happy, and so they don't spend all their money on gear!

Never had an problems from my wife with regard to gear, I've even pondered things and she has said "just get it if you want it"

Having said that she knows I work hard, and am tight and wont throw money away on things I don't need or couldn't recover if needed

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1361821958' post='1991552']
To my mum, my basses sound like basses, and my guitars sound like guitars.
[/quote]

That's sometimes quite a useful perspective to have on tap. At least it encourages you to buy more different stuff ("not taking the Stingray tonight, think I'll grab my komungo")