Why become a member? ×

Rather Good Bass Comparison Video

Dingus

Came across this on YT this afternoon and I think this lad does a very good job of demonstrating the various characteristic sounds of some popular models of bass . I'm sure some of you folks will be interested to see it and will have something to say about it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKEHQdONP90

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='John Cellario' timestamp='1361732258' post='1990059']
Good player...must have taken most of the day to put this together.
[/quote]
yeah - it started to get a bit dark at 3:50 :lol: .

Good Vid - I agree with most of the comments.
Surprising how similar in sound they were really.

My favourite was the JB and the Stingray. P bass was not thumpy enough - although I think the style contributed to that.

So.....it is [i]all[/i] in the fingers then eh?

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1361733568' post='1990084']
Goes to show that all basses pretty much sound the same, really. Some can be a bit treblier, sometimes.
[/quote]

Depends on your definition of "same" I guess. As in .... they obviously sounded more similar than a trumpet does to a harp for example, but I heard very significant differences between the basses. Some of them had tones that would would inspire me to play them. Others not so much.

Also agree with Bagsieblue's comment that the P bass didn't sound as punchy or as chunky as a "typical " P sound, to my ears.

Even so a great video. Thanks to [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/renatomonteiro1?feature=watch"]renatomonteiro1[/url] (the video maker) for putting in the effort for all our benefit.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1361737061' post='1990152']
they obviously sounded more similar than a trumpet does to a harp for example, but I heard very significant differences between the basses.[/quote]

Yeah, I mean, they all sound like basses, and basses all sound, well, like basses. Otherwise we'd think of them as something else. Put that guy in with a band, with some keys, maybe a singer, and a guitar, or horns, and the drums, and there'd be so much going on that the small differences in tone would get lost and you'd just hear a sort of generic bass sound, like you do in most 'band' music, as it's at the lower, muddier end of things. Where it should be, because it's a bass.

Sort of.

Great player, great vid, great basses, great idea, etc.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1361738019' post='1990164']
Put that guy in with a band, with some keys, maybe a singer, and a guitar, or horns, and the drums, and there'd be so much going on that the small differences in tone would get lost and you'd just hear a sort of generic bass sound.
[/quote]

That's pretty much what I thought. Which is why I do everything I need to do with my P-Bass.

@bagsieblue: I reckon it [i]is[/i] all in the fingers! :)

Thats one of the best gear comparison videos I've ever seen---good variety of styles, returning to each instrument, "realistic" lines---great stuff.

Worryingly, the only one I actually liked the sound of was the P. The rest were far too clangy and twangy. Its definitely confirmed my suspicions that I just do not like the bridge pickup sound on most basses!

I like the sound of all the basses , although the fretless was probably my least favourite , and as others have said , the fact that the boy is a very competant player really helps show what the basses can do . To me , overall it just goes to show that a good Fender or Musicman is a great sounding bass for so many styles of music .

Great video, he spent some time matchin the levels didnt he :D

Would like to know his choice of strings too, I personally think that (for recording especially) the choice of strings can have as big an affect on the final sound as the bass. Also I am not entirely convinced that all of these have had no post processing (or EQ) put on them (or thats the lightest sounding P-Bass I've ever heard I think).

Still very interesting vid.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1361804832' post='1991115']Would like to know his choice of strings too, I personally think that (for recording especially) the choice of strings can have as big an affect on the final sound as the bass.[/quote]

Yes! This point is so often forgotten. And the use of a pick introduces yet another dimension.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1361804832' post='1991115']Also I am not entirely convinced that all of these have had no post processing (or EQ) put on them (or thats the lightest sounding P-Bass I've ever heard I think).[/quote]

Yes, again - I hope he didn't attempt to match EQ as well as level, as this would compromise any comparison to say the least.

Edited by discreet