Why become a member? ×

Rather Good Bass Comparison Video

Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1361806639' post='1991158']
Apparently the P Bass is a 2010 Am. St. with a Seymour Duncan SB3 pickup , so on paper at least there is no reason why it should sound anything less than very meaty . Must be how it was recorded / eq'd .
[/quote]

Ah, the SB3 does tend to be rather gentle in the mids for a P pickup (it's that modern big bottom end and sizzly high it's going for I think). It was the authority of the P's mids I was missing in the vid. All makes sense now.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1361810891' post='1991253']
Ah, the SB3 does tend to be rather gentle in the mids for a P pickup (it's that modern big bottom end and sizzly high it's going for I think). It was the authority of the P's mids I was missing in the vid. All makes sense now.
[/quote]

Maybe it is my ears but I found a SPB-3 made my P-Bass more aggressive and middy rather than scooped.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1361811281' post='1991260']
Maybe it is my ears but I found a SPB-3 made my P-Bass more aggressive and middy rather than scooped.
[/quote]

I have no experience of the SBP-3 personally, and I know Seymour Duncan claim a "tremendous mid-range presence". However the common "internet wisdom", on TB for example, generally seems to agree that it is actually a bit mid-scooped compared to more traditional P pickup designs. (cue the disparaging comments about TB......)