Why become a member? ×

Mystery bassist - SOLVED!

wateroftyne

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1361814213' post='1991324']
Has there ever been a time - ever - when waistcoats were "cool"?
[/quote]

Do these count?

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/swedish-dance-bands-012.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1361893157' post='1992576']
The bloke on the far right looks pretty grumpy about it all. I bet he's the bass player! :D[/quote]

My guess is that on stage they wore lederhosen and at least two of them played accordians; though they'd never get far with the guy in the middle looking like Ed "Stewpot" Stewart.

Ok. This thread inspired me to get out my collection of Bassist magazines for another look. I have an extensive collection that includes our mystery bassist. I have read the article again and it's really strange how they don't mention a name. I have checked some others and he is not alone.

So what do we know about him. He was based in Coventry and played in a 4 piece covers band called Teazzer (or was that a typo and it's Teazer?). He went pro in the late 70's to early 80's. This article is 16 years old and I would guess he was at least in his late 30's when the photo was taken, if he was pro 20 years before? So he must now be around mid 50's now. I can bet that hair didn't last long and he may have put on some weight. He may still or may not be wearing glasses, who knows.

I had a quick search for bands called Teazer (Teazzer yielded no relevant results) and found a band based in Banbury - just south of Coventry. The bassist is called Andy andtheir web site is www.teazermusic.co.uk/index.html and his page states.

[i]I started to play bass when Rob and I used to play Beatles songs together when we were at school. This lead to us to forming our first band called TRAVELLER.[/i]

[i]I left TRAVELLER to join a Walsall-based band called FACE 2 FACE. I stayed with the band for 8 months during 1982 and then joined AMETHYST briefly as a Keyboard player and then later on Bass.[/i]

[i]I joined TEAZER MK I in 1986 and also played with ONE FOOT IN THE WARDROBE. During the break I joined Birmingham band FERRARI. I left to have children and play cricket before reforming TEAZER in 2000.

[u]Equipment list[/u]:[/i][list]
[*][i]Dean Edge Q4 Bass guitar with Bartolini pick ups[/i]
[*][i]Dean Rhapsody 8 string Bass Guitar[/i]
[*][i]Washburn XB120 Fretless Bass guitar[/i]
[*][i]Washburn XB2000 Bass guitar[/i]
[*][i]Peavey Grind Bass[/i]
[*][i]Trace Elliot 7215 300w 1 x 15 Bass Combo[/i]
[*][i]Trace Elliot 4 x 10 Bass cabinet with horn[/i]
[*][i]Boss Bass chorus pedal[/i]
[*][i]Ernie ball super slinky bass strings[/i]
[/list]
His band photo is

[attachment=128581:andy.h1.jpg]

So what do you think? Is this possibly him? At least I've had a go at unearthing him. Sure he looks different (so do I 16 years on). Does anyone know this band and can confront him about his past? If it's him he is still using Trace amplification and wearing a waistcoat!

There is another band called Teazer based in Telford, but I don't think it's him though www.myspace.com/teazerrocks

Anway. If that's not enough for you all to digest. I have another bassist for us to post over! From the July 97 issue it's
[i]My Bass is...A Rickenbacker 4003[/i]

At least he has a name - Rob Jones where are you?

[attachment=128584:My Bass is a Rickenbacker 4003.jpg]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1361914816' post='1993124']
Well, I reckon you've found our man! Nice one!

[/quote]

Hmmmm.....the nose is different (although he is wearing a rather fetching waistcoat). I think this guy replaced your guy in Teazer. If you find the second guy he will be able to tell you who the first guy is. We're getting so close I can almost smell our mystery bassist.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1361916491' post='1993160']
Hmmmm.....the nose is different (although he is wearing a rather fetching waistcoat). I think this guy replaced your guy in Teazer. If you find the second guy he will be able to tell you who the first guy is. We're getting so close I can almost smell our mystery bassist.
[/quote]

Nah - that's our man. I can feel it in me water.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1361914564' post='1993117']
Ok.....................[/quote]

Astounding bit of detective work!

Notice both pics the guy's right hand is over the neck - and (FWIW) in a almost identical shape. Over the neck is a fairly unusual way of playing - even if one is posed.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1361914816' post='1993124']
Well, I reckon you've found our man! Nice one!

[/quote]
[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1361916131' post='1993151']
Someone must now make contact and let him know about all the fuss!
[/quote]

Wateroftyne. Thanks for sticking the photos next to each other. Great job, I'm impresed and more convinced about our guy.

If we made contact with him and he fessed up what are the chances he would join Basschat? Imagine his post in Introductions!, or would he even need one.

Good work so far... but that is not your man.
I reckon I've found him:
[attachment=128586:Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 22.39.12.png]

Experienced bass player, have been gigging around the Midlands areas for years.

EQUIPMENT LIST

Yamaha TRB5p 5 string bass, Line6 Bass Pod XPPro, [b]Trace Elliot 1x18 and 4x10 cabs[/b], Martin of London PA System, DMX lighting rig, Home Studio, Akai, Novation, Lexicon, Drawmer, Studiomaster, Tannoy, AKG, Rode & Shure Mics

Edited by tedmanzie

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1361918429' post='1993186']
Good work so far... but that is not your man.
I reckon I've found him:
[attachment=128586:Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 22.39.12.png]

Experienced bass player, have been gigging around the Midlands areas for years.

EQUIPMENT LIST

Yamaha TRB5p 5 string bass, Line6 Bass Pod XPPro, [b]Trace Elliot 1x18 and 4x10 cabs[/b], Martin of London PA System, DMX lighting rig, Home Studio, Akai, Novation, Lexicon, Drawmer, Studiomaster, Tannoy, AKG, Rode & Shure Mics
[/quote]

This is interesting. Who is this guy you found, and where did you find that photograph. We need more. The Trace cabs are the same and he is still playing a 5 string.

Edited by mep

[quote name='Buzzy' timestamp='1361897750' post='1992693']
Not wishing to hijack this thread but have a look at this [url="http://www.ugo.com/web-culture/the-50-worst-band-photos-ever"]http://www.ugo.com/w...and-photos-ever[/url]
[/quote]

That's their Top 50 and there still wasn't room for

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/FacialHair.jpg[/IMG]

or for

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/KissGoneWrong.jpg[/IMG]

or for

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/cc.jpg[/IMG]

???

Those guys aren't even trying ...

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1361918922' post='1993198']
This is interesting. Who is this guy you found, and where did you find that photograph. We need more.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bandmix.co.uk/fran-bass/"]http://www.bandmix.co.uk/fran-bass/[/url]

Yeah, but who's going to hit the "Contact" button?

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1361919583' post='1993213']
I think Big Stu has it nailed ,
[/quote]
Wasn't me, it's tedmanzie that nailed it.

I reckon it's "tedmanzie"s guy who is the one true heir apparent.

Is THIS

THE waistcoat?? :lol:

Edited by Big_Stu