Why become a member? ×

Borrowing The Back Line

baseline9

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1430152544' post='2758436']
It's childish and nobody's mind get changed.
[/quote]

Bugger! After my experience changed my mind I was hoping it would change everyone else's :lol:

Unfortunately, I pre agreed to share an amp head for a gig I'm doing this Sunday, but that will be that last one.. and they're only borrowing the solid state one so it can't get fudged!

I really don't understand why it's considered acceptable to use the same cabs and just swap amps.

I would never allow someone to plug their amp that I know nothing about into my cabs. I've once used my amp with someone else's cabs which was a totally nerve-wracking experience. The cabs were so unsensive that I had for the only time ever the master volume on my amp above half way (with my cabs it rarely goes past 10 o'clock) Luckily the cabs seemed to survive our set, but I vowed never to do it again. Plus I had to borrow some Speakon to Jack leads to connect my amp the the cabs - I don't consider any cab that isn't equipped with Speakons to suitable for use with my amp.

And having seem what happens with guitarists and their far more delicate all-valve heads where often the owner of the shared cab doesn't know what impedance it is, I find the whole idea of being able to share cabs ridiculous.

I'm quite happy to let the bassist from the other bands we share the bill with use my complete rig. That way nothing gets unplugged or plugged in wrongly. It also helps having a rig that is so stupidly loud that even the dumbest, deafest bass player would never be able to run it at anything approaching fatal volumes.

Edited by BigRedX

I don't own an amp/cab at the moment. This is partly down to the fact that I don't gig very often, don't drive and wouldn't be able to use it in the house -even at low volumes- because of neighbours with a bit of a temper.

I've never had to borrow backline from another bands bassist (to my knowledge at least) as the venues I've played have all had a backline but this has stopped us from having quite a few good gigs (the guitarist doesn't have a giggable amp either). I would worry about allowing another player use an amp that I owned however just because of the sheer amount of horror stories out there.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430152958' post='2758441']
This thread is valid. Everything goes in cycles on here. New members join the forum daily. You can't expect them to trawl through about eight years' worth of old threads to find an answer to their questions, can you? :)
[/quote]

You don't need to, it gets done about once a fortnight.

We've got a do on on Friday (1st May) with 4 bands on the bill. We're sharing cabs (heard this from the organiser, not the headliners though, who actually *own* the kit). I always try to make contact with the other band's bass player (often through Facebook) to check specs and connections etc…

Seems like the best way to do it for me. Obviously I'd prefer to use my cab, but with so many changeovers it's just not practical.

• 2 weeks later...

Since this seems to have become the official gear-share grumble thread, I had a guitar gig last night, let the guitarist from another band use my amp without prior arrangement, and he had the gall to complain that it didn't have a gain channel! If you're going to rely on whatever amp you can scrounge on the night, carrying your choice of overdrive pedal might be a good idea, no?
At least nobody thrashed it or put drinks on top of it though...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Since I've rented out a few rigs of late, they can pay me rig rental and I'll bass tech it.
If they can't afford that, then the bass players can try and convince me that I'd want
to do them a favour. If that works, then fine, but them not having the wherewithall
to do a gig is not my problem unless they've paid me for the service.
I wouldn't take kindly to assumptions that I will lend a rig... but if I like them, I might
even offer..? but I'd also be on hand in case anything went wrong.
One thing that would flag, is if the guy had a pedal board and I didn't like his sound
in the sound check...? as that might point to the guy having poor or even no ears
so I'm not going to trust them just sticking what ever signal and level they feel like into
the amp..?? Basically, if I can't be side stage to deal with these issues, I'd pack it all down.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1431265869' post='2769395']
Since this seems to have become the official gear-share grumble thread, I had a guitar gig last night, let the guitarist from another band use my amp without prior arrangement, and he had the gall to complain that it didn't have a gain channel! If you're going to rely on whatever amp you can scrounge on the night, carrying your choice of overdrive pedal might be a good idea, no?
At least nobody thrashed it or put drinks on top of it though...
[/quote]

Well, you clearly didn't get the memo, so find whoever was in charge and tell them off. You were expected to carry a selection of overdrive pedals and other assorted effects for this other guy's enjoyment.

Idiot.

Not you! The other guy :)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1431266742' post='2769408']
In my situation, it would look kind of hypocritical for me to take a stand over it, since the drummer and bassist in my band were both using other bands' gear that night.
[/quote]

Not necessarily. A drum kit takes a lot of space, and time to set up. The gig was at the Mash House, wasn't it? So another couple of bands playing... It makes sense to share drum kit... and I am sure that was prearranged. A suitable guitar amp takes little space and it's easily carried...
Bass... I have mixed feelings. We don't *need* a large amp in many situations: I often just take my little MarkBass combo, as all it needs to do is serve me as stage monitor. I sometimes leave it in the car if I think it makes things easier and it sounds ok, and they provided it for me to use... but I always have my amp with me.
Over time I have realised how some local bands -or certain individual members- never seem to take amps with them. I'm not going to be carrying my gear for them to have an easier night, so my general stance is not sharing. With people I know it's different, and whenever NUF is playing, if I'm in the bill too I'd offer my amp, no problem at all. I just hate feeling I've been taken advantage of.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1431284671' post='2769642'] Not necessarily. A drum kit takes a lot of space, and time to set up. The gig was at the Mash House, wasn't it? So another couple of bands playing... It makes sense to share drum kit... and I am sure that was prearranged. A suitable guitar amp takes little space and it's easily carried... Bass... I have mixed feelings. We don't *need* a large amp in many situations: I often just take my little MarkBass combo, as all it needs to do is serve me as stage monitor. I sometimes leave it in the car if I think it makes things easier and it sounds ok, and they provided it for me to use... but I always have my amp with me. Over time I have realised how some local bands -or certain individual members- never seem to take amps with them. I'm not going to be carrying my gear for them to have an easier night, so my general stance is not sharing. With people I know it's different, and whenever NUF is playing, if I'm in the bill too I'd offer my amp, no problem at all. I just hate feeling I've been taken advantage of. [/quote]

Yes, I think there were some crossed wires with the promoter. We'd established that we'd use another band's drum kit (as this is that promoter with a bee in his bonnet about our drummer's kick drum), we mentioned that I'd bring a guitar amp when he asked if we needed one, but never discussed other bands using it. Fortunately there were no crazy speaker-blowing experimental noise projects on the bill!
I'm getting quite insistent about not using house amps for guitar on those gigs, as what you end up with can be extremely patchy and I like the tremolo and reverb built in to mine. Although taking it home on the night bus to Oxgangs wasn't much fun! For bass it can be more workable, as so little amp sound makes it into FOH anyway.

It's happened again to me again this week. I'm more offended than ever tho.
Its for a large festival, plenty of stages. We done a fair few 'benefit' gigs for them over the last 12 months, handing them several thousands of pounds.

Its getting a bit close to the festival now, so we asked about our slot (which has obv been discussed throughout this whole process) and it seems they have completely forgotten us.

They have offered to fit us in on the shittest stage (mainly spoken word poetry - we're a full on 5 piece punk band) for 30 mins. On the proviso we leave our gear there for everyone to use.

Its almost comical how often this is happening to us. But TBH just felt so offended by this one.

[URL=http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/urbanxphotography3/media/Strawberry%20_zpsoxxzlhlo.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l514/urbanxphotography3/Strawberry%20_zpsoxxzlhlo.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I usually see the trade-off on this as if headlining then happy to provide backline as it`s easier for all the bands before. If not headlining then happy to use the headliners backline for those exact same reasons.

We don't play out much at all these days, but when we did, or when we do, it's very often that our gear is better than most others. It doesn't trouble us to have others use our gear, although on occasion we'd have to wait until the show is over before being able to load out. Normally we'd be staying for the event, anyway. Our gear is pro stuff, and it's unlikely that any harm could come to it that we wouldn't, ourselves, suffer, and we keep an eye out for stupid stuff, such as beverages on amps or cabs, or idiots wanting to cut 'mic' holes in my bass drum resonant head. I play drums 'lefty', so we often have to swap stuff around a little between sets, but it's no big deal. In several decades of touring, playing largish, medium or tiny venues, I've never had any problem whatsoever in sharing stuff; maybe we've just been lucky. I know that 'stuff happens' sometimes, but in general, I'd say there's no difference between oneself or anyone else using the gear, and abuse would be rare and easily spotted/tamed. YMMV, of course.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1431778317' post='2774869']
I usually see the trade-off on this as if headlining then happy to provide backline as it`s easier for all the bands before. If not headlining then happy to use the headliners backline for those exact same reasons.
[/quote]

Sometimes headlining is fancy speak for "you'll play last". It sometimes isn't the best spot, or play a longer set or anything. So, sometimes it becomes the place for "the fools who agree to provide the gear, having to arrive a lot earlier and leaving a lot later than the other bands, and they play the crap slot when half the crowd have already gone elsewhere. ;)

We got that a few times when I joined my current band. I still remember the "we're the headliners! wooo!" from a band member who shall not be named. When I explained to him what it meant, in practice, he was not as happy as previously. :lol:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1431779423' post='2774898']
[...] or idiots wanting to cut 'mic' holes in my bass drum resonant head. I play drums 'lefty', so we often have to swap stuff around a little between sets, [...]
[/quote]

It must be a lefty drummer thing! :lol:
The drummer that Beer of the Bass mentioned earlier is also a lefty...

Can't you just play like... you know, a normal human being?

(runs away)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1431786047' post='2774988']

(runs away)
[/quote]

Come to think of it, as well as playing left handed with no hole in the kick, our drummers political views are probably quite compatible with Dad3353's too. Hmm, what is it with left-handed drummers?

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1431786585' post='2774999']
Come to think of it, as well as playing left handed with no hole in the kick, our drummers political views are probably quite compatible with Dad3353's too. Hmm, what is it with left-handed drummers?
[/quote]

Hmmm... have we ever seen BOTH in the same room at the same time? :ph34r:

All gigs that kingsize (our lot) promote i do a group inbox about a week before and sort everything out to make sure everything's sweet, most gigs we play i borrow or am asked to supply an amp, which is fine so long as I know. Have had a few sticky situations where stuff has not been sorted out and it's not pleasant for anyone involved!

We also have a left-handed drummer and he's sick of all the jokes now :')

Edited by samBolshy

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1431786047' post='2774988']

(runs away)
[/quote]

Nah, makes things too easy..! One has to have challenges in life to make it worth getting up in the morning. Having seen how most 'normal human beings' do things in general, I'm not sure I'd want to go too far down that route, either... :unsure:

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1431786585' post='2774999']
[/quote]

Quality is quality, and cannot be denied. Our only fault is our excess of modesty, without which we'd be perfect. :mellow:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1431787289' post='2775008']
Hmmm... have we ever seen BOTH in the same room at the same time? :ph34r:
[/quote]

As with particle physics, we also may have quark-like properties and can be in (at least...) two places at once. We also contribute to the Big Bang... :rolleyes:

[quote name='samBolshy' timestamp='1431787557' post='2775011']
All gigs that kingsize (our lot) promote i do a group inbox about a week before and sort everything out to make sure everything's sweet, most gigs we play i borrow or am asked to supply an amp, which is fine so long as I know. Have had a few sticky situations where stuff has not been sorted out and it's not pleasant for anyone involved!

We also have a left-handed drummer and he's sick of all the jokes now :')
[/quote]

There, you see..? Once I was alone; now I'm part of a fashion trend..! They'll all be at it, soon..! :lol: