Why become a member? ×

Shall I ruin a USA fender neck ?

lojo

You in the other thread.... [quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If all works out, this will hopefully become my main bass,[/font][/color][/quote]

if it's going to be your main bass then go for it.
(personally I prefer them unpainted in most cases)

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1360775597' post='1976308']
Nearly at a stage where my p/j build body can be sprayed, I really want the head on the neck to be coloured the same, but it will involve ruining a perfectly good USA fender headstock logo etc.

Should I do it ?
[/quote]

In good art shops years ago you could buy liquid rubber which was painted onto artwork to shield desired copy from an airbrush. Assuming you're handy enough with a paint-brush to paint over the logo & text you want to keep? After you've painted it rubs off with a pencil eraser. No idea if it's still available, but if it is it would be "the very dab" (c) Pa Broon.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360776844' post='1976341']
In good art shops years ago you could buy liquid rubber which was painted onto artwork to shield desired copy from an airbrush. Assuming you're handy enough with a paint-brush to paint over the logo & text you want to keep? After you've painted it rubs off with a pencil eraser. No idea if it's still available, but if it is it would be "the very dab" © Pa Broon.
[/quote] would that work? like it's not pigment, it's several layers of nitro/acrylic topped with a clear coat....

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360777162' post='1976350']
would that work? like it's not pigment, it's several layers of nitro/acrylic topped with a clear coat....
[/quote]

No idea, it's obviously not for it's original purpose, but all good guys doing anything permanent practise on some scrap first.
There would be a abuild up of layers too which might end up higher than the logo.

Could you not cut a sheet of thin plastic to shape, spray over it, remove the tuner bushes and string guide, affix to the headstock with low tack double-sided sticky tape (avoiding the existing logo) and replace the hardware? Is something like this called an overlay?

Or would that be silly?

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1360781306' post='1976466']
Could you not cut a sheet of thin plastic to shape, spray over it, remove the tuner bushes and string guide, affix to the headstock with low tack double-sided sticky tape (avoiding the existing logo) and replace the hardware? Is something like this called an overlay?

Or would that be silly?
[/quote]

Not silly, an excellent non-destructive idea. Could possibly be affixed with copydex (avoiding the logo).

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1360786260' post='1976593']
Not silly, an excellent non-destructive idea. Could possibly be affixed with copydex (avoiding the logo).
[/quote]

OTOH, there's that concave curvy bit from the nut down to the headstock face. Couldn't leave that au naturel...

Ponders...

Fablon! [url="http://www.vinyldepot.co.uk/"]http://www.vinyldepot.co.uk/[/url]

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1360781306' post='1976466']

Or would that be silly?
[/quote]

You could do this using a sheet of transparency for an overhead projector. Paint or print one side in the colour of your choice, and attach it to the headstock with the coloured side down (protects the colour, and gives a glossy finish.) This should then be easy to remove, and flexible enough to conform to the headstock shape.