Why become a member? ×

Ultimate P Bass?

Ashborygirl

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1360667070' post='1974130']
My money no object dream P bass is the Pino. What makes a P? To me it's got to be passive, single (split p) pickup, p shaped and a big old neck. Others won't agree with me and they are entitled to their opinion, not saying mine is right but for me there's only one way to skin a cat. It depends on budget though, as we know you can get yourself a fantastic P bass for under £500
[/quote]

I agree. Has to to be the right shape, size, P neck, and a simple vol/tone with the tradtional pup.

I've owned a few in the range, and as such would vote for the good old American Standard.

Granted, I've never had the pleasure of the Custom Shop, etc, but I reckon as a go anywhere, do anything workhorse of a bass, I not bettered my US P yet. The more I play it, I think it's the ultimate, original and best.

And I've had 2. By mistake. Should have kept the first one...... :([size=4] [/size]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1360612293' post='1973448']
I've played a couple of Palladino sigs and they are very nice but the bad word is a number and it's the price.
[/quote]
I've Pino'd a CIJ re-ish. The only things it hasn't got are a nitro finish and a rusty bridge. Came out about a quarter of the price of a CS Pino - probably less coz I paid next to nothing for the basic Fiesta red R/W boarded CIJ '62 re-ish. The only givaways are the finish and the fact that it's got a more convincing tort than the sh*tty looking stuff Fender use these days.

Edited by mckendrick

My best. "P" out of my six is my Black 57'. AV re-issue .
I have tried a CS Pino and lovely as it is , the neck of the 57 feels more natural to my hands
I've had a few fellow muso's play the 57 at Jam nights and they are all comment how good it feels
Mind you , it's taken 10 years to get the bass played in .

[quote name='Ashborygirl' timestamp='1360609058' post='1973341']
So guys & gals, what would you consider to be the best P Bass offering money can buy these days? Only stipulations, it must look like a P, have a P pickup & not be a vintage Fender.
[/quote]

My Valenti. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197297-valenti-no-5-p-bass/page__fromsearch__1

Now that it's been sorted, it's just astonishingly good.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1360752029' post='1975734']
Fender CIJ 1962 re-issue.

There really is no reason to spend more money. Get a good one and set it up properly!
[/quote]

I spent ages looking for the right '62 reissue for the right price. Never got there and ended up buying my US Standard. Was more expensive, but nicer than all of the 62s I tried and it's got graphite truss supports for my big heavy La Bella strings.