Why become a member? ×

half moon putney

Bassist on the Run

hi bass chatters

i would like to know if anyone else has had the same experience as i had last night.
i was playing a gig at the half moon supporting geno washington and the ramjam band.
the sound check was a little rushed due to the engineer worrying more about the main act
once we started playing i could hear 0 bass in my stage monitor so i signalled to the sound guy to pump it up.
suddenly i was overwhelmed by this distorted rumble hitting me in the face! i was so upset with the sound that
i wanted to fall into a small hole and hide. it really ruined my night and effected my perfomance!!

has this happend to anyone else???

First off: If the FOH guy is working for you and the main act, it's quite reasonable for him to be 'worrying more about the main act' - perfectly normal and understandable.
Secondly: I would never have 'signalled to the sound guy to [b]pump it up[/b]'. Just signal for a [i]tad more[/i], and then a [i]tad more[/i] etc. 'Pump it up' implies, well, what you got.
Thirdly: Why didn't you just ask for it to be turned down?

Edited by SteveK

This is why I take care of my monitor sound with MY backline.
At least then, I start with a degree of control.
Far easier to hand control back than to get it in the first place.

So, anything less than my backline monitor system and I have to KNOW the crew pretty well AND trust them.

I don't think your gig was that unusual but you left yourself with no escape route

So, that is a big fat no for a pocket DI/pre amp with no backline for me.

There's a particular frequency range at the Half Moon that causes a brown note to boom out uncontrolled. It seems to run from C to D. I've noticed it, and commented on it, for bands as diverse as All The Queen's Ravens (Clarky's band) and Doctor Feelgood!

It seems to be a function of the room's dimensions.

I've never played there, but those I know who have (including Clarky and LowEndBee) don't seem as aware of it on stage as I am in the audience.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1360508176' post='1971371']
First off: If the FOH guy is working for you and the main act, it's quite reasonable for him to be 'worrying more about the main act' - perfectly normal and understandable.
Secondly: I would never have 'signalled to the sound guy to [b]pump it up[/b]'. Just signal for a [i]tad more[/i], and then a [i]tad more[/i] etc. 'Pump it up' implies, well, what you got.
Thirdly: Why didn't you just ask for it to be turned down?
[/quote] I called for the sound guy in the first instance to turn me up as there's no real hand signal to pump it up
I then signalled to him that I was not happy with what he had done unfortunately nothing was done! I had to obviously perform as there was 200 odd people in front if me!! As for the foh guy spending more time on the main act that's rubbish we are there to do a job just like the next bloke I've done many gigs as a support act and a sound check is a must just because he felt he was running late we got the poo end of the stick!! Your clearly have some sort of issue with what was wrote and was really helpful in your reply!

I'm sorry bramleyapple if you felt my post was unhelpful - it was intended to be helpful.
I certainly don't have an 'issue' with your post.
My mistake is probably assuming that you haven't played too many gigs - again I apologise!

[quote]

As for the foh guy spending more time on the main act that's rubbish we are there to do a job just like the next bloke I've done many gigs as a support act and a sound check is a must just because he felt he was running late [b]we got the poo end of the stick!![/b]
[/quote]

If things are running late it will [i]inevitably[/i] be the support act that gets 'the poo end of the stick'. That has always [i]been[/i] the case and always [i]will[/i] be.
As far as monitor levels goes, my advice was perfectly good - particularly if the guy in control of your monitors can't monitor what you are hearing.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1360514880' post='1971528']
I'm sorry bramleyapple if you felt my post was unhelpful - it was intended to be helpful.
I certainly don't have an 'issue' with your post.
My mistake is probably assuming that you haven't played too many gigs - again I apologise!

If things are running late it will [i]inevitably[/i] be the support act that gets 'the poo end of the stick'. That has always [i]been[/i] the case and always [i]will[/i] be.
As far as monitor levels goes, my advice was perfectly good - particularly if the guy in control of your monitors can't monitor what you are hearing.
[/quote] no worries im still a little touchy after the gig lol thanks for your apology

Last time I played there the sound was great on stage. And when watching the band after us, it was great in the audience as well.

But the time before was a different matter. On the sound-check everything was great, monitors giving a great mix. But when we played, I think the sound-guys notes were "put all controls at different levels to the ones I`ve marked down" as the monitor mix was appalling. That said, those that saw us said out front it was good, and that`s the main thing.

I think the thing here is, and it applies to all venues, put the rehearsal time in, both on playing and on your eqs, and and trust that you know what you`re doing, so largely ignore monitor-mixes if they`re no good. Just hope that out front is sounding good. Instances like this will always happen, so be prepared for it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1360508783' post='1971379']
There's a particular frequency range at the Half Moon that causes a brown note to boom out uncontrolled. It seems to run from C to D. I've noticed it, and commented on it, for bands as diverse as All The Queen's Ravens (Clarky's band) and Doctor Feelgood!

It seems to be a function of the room's dimensions.

I've never played there, but those I know who have (including Clarky and LowEndBee) don't seem as aware of it on stage as I am in the audience.
[/quote]
Most definitely.

However, I go direct via my POD X3 LIVE and had no problems at the HM. The sound guy was highly professional, we had no problems at all and apparently sounded good FoH.

I have played the Half moon tonnes of times, with both the house engineer and our own. I can't fault the guys there as I have always been given me a great mix. Maybe he just had a bad day... We all have one once in a while and maybe it just so happened whilst you were on stage?
For what it's worth, I usually set my amp to a level where I don't need any bass in my monitor as my amp is my bass monitor! IMO - What's the point in having a bass amp if you not going to use it as a monitor anyway? Usually everyones bass gets D.I'ed for the FOH so you can theoretically turn it up as loud as you want without affecting anyone else.