Why become a member? ×

PRS are trying basses again.

Dr M

http://www.prsguitars.com/grainger4/

http://www.prsguitars.com/grainger5/

Love the look of the Grainger 4. Not usually that fond of pretty wood tops, but that's gorgeous. Interested to see whether these take off.

And fingers crossed for SE models if they do!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1359127704' post='1950323']
I dread to think at the retail price of them, looks like they've cut no corners on quality and material so they will be pretty expensive.
[/quote]

That's ok, you can buy mine for me :D

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1359128589' post='1950346']
Is that a set (glue-in) neck design?
[/quote]

That is a good question, the original Gary Granger model had a bolt on and the bolts were located at the end of the freboard from the top of the body so that the back of the body showed no screw holes, and the top part of the body at the end of the fretboard was covered by something like a pickup ramp made out of rosewood. These new ones don't have that same system so unless the screws are on the back of the body, then they might be set necks.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1359128963' post='1950359']
That is a good question, the original Gary Granger model had a bolt on and the bolts were located at the end of the freboard from the top of the body so that the back of the body showed no screw holes, and the top part of the body at the end of the fretboard was covered by something like a pickup ramp made out of rosewood. These new ones don't have that same system so unless the screws are on the back of the body, then they might be set necks.
[/quote]
You can see pics of the neck joint on the website if you click around a bit. It looks like it's set neck unless there are hidden bolts. I'm not keen; I just don't like set necks for bass; it doesn't seem right to me.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1359127704' post='1950323']
I dread to think at the retail price of them, looks like they've cut no corners on quality and material so they will be pretty expensive.
[/quote]

There was a suggestion on TalkBass that the list price is going to be $2600 - $3000. Probably be looking at £2500 by the time they make it to this side of the pond. That's about normal for a PRS, I believe.

And [i]well[/i] outside my price range. :unsure:

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1359129004' post='1950361']
My guess is that you would be able to get a top UK luthier to make you two basses for the price these will be.
[/quote]

But then you still wouldn't have a PRS... and two basses that wouldn't have the resale value of a PRS.

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1359130255' post='1950398']
There was a suggestion on TalkBass that the list price is going to be $2600 - $3000. Probably be looking at £2500 by the time they make it to this side of the pond. That's about normal for a PRS, I believe.

And [i]well[/i] outside my price range. :unsure:
[/quote]

I would think that the full U.K retail price on these would be in excess of £3000 , going by what PRS guitars sell for and the market these will be aimed at . £2500 would be a very good price for one of these . ( I hope you are right and I am wrong though ! )

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1359131381' post='1950443']
Why have a set neck yet still include the block heel and poor upper fret access? In fact why have those last few frets at all?
[/quote]

Exactly!

And why isn't the neck coloured to match the body? Looks cheap and nasty if you ask me.

At a potential £2500 - £3000 price point these will be in very esteemed company indeed and had better be very very good!

I look forward to the inevitable review in BGM where they will no doubt be described as,,,,,,, "very very good"!

I prefer the look of the Aria SB1000 reissue personally.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1359157519' post='1951085']
Not sure how anyone else feels about this but i much prefer to have most of the wood underneath my bass bridge replaced with batteries!!!!

Wtf!! Design flaw!!
[/quote]

Several other bass designs have the battery compartment in the same place without much problem or detrimental effect - EBMM and Lakland spring to mind , but I'm sure there are lots more .

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1359130595' post='1950407']
But then you still wouldn't have a PRS... and two basses that wouldn't have the resale value of a PRS.
[/quote]

To be fair though, if you were having an instrument made to your exacting specs you shouldn't really be considering the resale value. Why have it made if you're even considering selling it? Even a little bit?

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1359131381' post='1950443']
Why have a set neck yet still include the block heel and poor upper fret access? In fact why have those last few frets at all?
[/quote]

It's a weird neck joint, that's for sure. They've changed their guitar neck joints over the years and not for the best.

A set neck is not in itself a bad thing - Fodera and Zon to name just two , are high - end bass makers who employ this technique on their premium instruments . The caveat is that it is a very tricky kind of neck join to get right and requires absolute precision or the bass will never play as it should . I wouldn't judge the blocky neck heel myself until I had tried one - it might not be that bad in reality . These PRS basses certainly sound pretty amazing to me :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7rmewcrjE[/media]

Edited by Dingus

For me the whole point of a set neck is that it allows you to avoid the bulky Fender-style joint and make something that is easily playable up to the highest fret.

Here is my 1962 Burns Sonic Bass:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC01545.jpg[/IMG]

It has a completely heel-less set neck and rivals most through neck designs for playability and stability. Not bad for a design that is over 50 years old! The fact that a joint like this could be made back then by a company that had only just started making musical instruments, so why can't manufacturers with the wealth of experience and historical examples available to them get it right now?

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1359160632' post='1951130']
To be fair though, if you were having an instrument made to your exacting specs you shouldn't really be considering the resale value. Why have it made if you're even considering selling it? Even a little bit?
[/quote]

True. But there are always people that want to buy say, a Fender, despite being able to get something more appropriate to them being made. Some people just like brand names... and that's OK. As for your argument about considering resale value, people's tastes change... you only have to look at the number of custom made luthier basses for sale on here...

Edited by EBS_freak