Why become a member? ×

Overwater Perception 5 build.

rk7

Chris fitted the strings yesterday, and Martin kindly sent me a pic.

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/25sv4hv.jpg[/IMG]

Beautifully bookmatched pieces of Ziricote which will, by magic, become my Ramp this morning!

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2iuas2c.jpg[/IMG]

Final check, set-up and sign-off by Chris today, and then its mine, all mine! Woop!

RK

[quote name='deejayen' timestamp='1361997484' post='1994298']
I have a recollection of seeing a matching pair of Overwater bass and 6 string electric guitar in a music shop about 25 years ago – roughly based on a Gibson Explorer shape. I had a shot on the guitar, and took my parents in to see it, but didn’t buy it. I might be getting mixed up with the maker (it could have been Eccleshall – or something like that). Do you know if Overwater ever made guitars?
[/quote]

As others have said Overwater have made guitars. The pair you saw were probably the "Original" shape - essentially a Thunderbird/Firebird with horns/cutaways. I've had several opportunities to buy a guitar version but it never worked out.

Hello readers!

Well, I've finally taken ownership of the new bass. Today has seen the word 'AWESOME' used a lot. A big lot.

Travelled up to Carlisle with Angie in time to see Martin finishing the final work on the ramp. But not just any ramp. Martin has made it from Ziricote as agreed, but with a bottom layer of Walnut so it matches the body construction. The phrase 'Above and beyond' springs to mind.

The bass is complete and on the setup bench while Martin finishes the ramp. Oh joy!Even though Martin has kept me updated at every stage of the build (as you all have seen) I still wasnt fully prepared for the sight of the finished bass. It seriously does look edible. Every detail is stunning, to the point where Angie and I did about four laps of the bench just grinning at each new bit we spotted.

Another pic on the finishing bench, from the pointy end of the bass. I can't decide whether I like the pointy end more than the fat end or not. Maybe I just like all of it.

The wonderfully talented Mr Lee, finishing the ramp.

Its alive! Bass is now plugged in and being tuned

Now through to the showroom for the first real noise! Yes it sounds good, very good. The bass is also extremely comfortable to play. The scale is shorter, at 34", than my first Perception, which comes in at over 35". The neck is super-slim and beautifully contoured, but the 5-piece Wenge/Walnut is also very strong and stable. The narrow string spacing is also very comfortable and 'playable'. Every piece of advice and guidance from the OW guys has been spot on.

'I built it and now I'm playing it'. Martin pushed the bass much further than I did. What a wonderful sound.

Back to the bench for a last checkover and OW pics.

Ziricote and Walnut, even the ramp. Wow!

The head. Oh lordy! - 'tis a thing of great beauty.

Then into its case for the journey home!

When we got home I was straight to my amp to try the bass through my own set-up. This thing sounds every bit as good as we all expected. The circuit gives a wide range of sound options and tuneability. I havn't been able to fully explore its capabilities yet, but the next few days should give me a better idea.

And finally, after much persuasion, the bass is now on its wall bracket next to Perception 1.

Yes, today has been a good day!

thank you please

RK

Oh Man!
I've gotta say, I've been following this thread since it started out as two lumps of wood and I've been totally blown away with each new set of pictures.

One of these days , when I'm rich enough to be able to eat every day, I'm going to be paying a visit to the guys at Overwater and I'm going to be saying 'make me one of these' whilst pointing to this thread.

I'm totally lost for superlatives! :)

Wow! Thank you for your kind comments guys.

For me, this has been a record of a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I didn't really think I would ever be in a position to commission a custom Overwater, but life has a way of throwing up the unexpected doesn't it? Normally (for me at least) the unexpected things are bad, particularly in recent times, but sometimes good things do happen too.

I'm pleased with the thread, but I'm more pleased with the responses it has generated from the forum community.

The bass will be going back to Overwater in the near future, for some pro photography (which I will also add to the thread) and these pics will also go on the OW website, in the Perception Gallery.

In conversation with Chris May yesterday, it appears that a build thread will also be going on their webpage.

I'm very much still getting to know the bass, but I'll be uploading sound clips as soon as I am able.

I would suggest to any BC'ers who find themselves in the Carlisle area, give Overwater a shout and call in to see the guys and the wonderful work they do, and try the great coffee too!

On a personal note, I'd like to thank Chris May, who turned in yesterday despite being ill and did the final set-up, special thanks to Martin who led the specification and the build, and who sent out the pics to put into this thread, to Laurence for his guidance and knowledge, to Neil in the spraybooth, and Kirstie, who started me thinking about this commission back in September. What a fantastic group of people.

OK, enough typing, its bass-time!

RK

I was so looking forward to seeing the finished article and it doesn't disappoint. What a total beauty :gas:

I'm guessing you wont be gigging it down the local boozer.

Anyway, congrats. Well done on a good thread and getting such a lovely instrument to cherish.

Errr…Awesome! I still find it difficult to get my head around the fact that it’s possible to craft something like that from some rough timber. The headstock is certainly something else! It took me a wee while, but I think I’ve twigged that a ‘ramp’ is the raised wood between the two pickups – even that is made to perfection. I don’t know how it fits into place, but I imagine it just snicks in very nicely.

Nice one RK that is one of the most beautiful natural finishes I have ever seen, If this doesn't generate commisions for OW there is no justice in this world. I'm now racking my brain trying to justify and finance one myself. I'll have to sell the mother inlaw to white slavers mmmmmm now there's a thought.............

Nice one RK that is one of the most beautiful natural finishes I have ever seen, If this doesn't generate commisions for OW there is no justice in this world. I'm now racking my brain trying to justify and finance one myself. I'll have to sell the mother inlaw to white slavers mmmmmm now there's a thought.............

Thank you Simes. I am well pleased with the bass.

Overwater do have a way with wood, theres no doubt about that. I took some pics in the showroom yesterday while I was talking with Chris May. All of the basses are lovely

14j680o.jpg

121zynr.jpg

The Perception in the background is made from the same piece of wood as my first one.

RK Edited by rk7

Stunning bass. Like it a lot. Obviously you won't be disappointed with the wonderful and talented work from Martin. He's a definate star and will hopefully continue making basses for many yrs to come.
And he's a very nice guy too - like all at OW.
I love mine.

All the very best to own and play the bass. Its a beaut.

Dave

RK,
I really enjoyed this whole thread and congratulations on an outstanding looking bass.
It has made me consider a through neck Perception, which I must have missed as a possibility when I had my Progress 6 f'less built a year back!!
Mind you I would like 2 Progress, 2 Original, 2 Perception..........etc, etc,lol

I agree that commissioning a bass from Overwater is an amazingly exciting and rewarding experience and one that I would highly recommend .Martin ,Chris, Haydn and Laurence were great.
Thanks for your post RK and all the best,
Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mark Dixon' timestamp='1364220805' post='2023340']
What a stunning bass!!

Does the ramp stick in place with double sided tape?

Mark
:)
[/quote]

Hi Mark,

yes, the ramp is fixed with double-sided tape rather than by mechanical fixing, so it can be removed if the need arises.

I have one on each of my basses, both fixed the same way. Very secure, but still removable. I didn't realise how much work goes into a ramp, Martin sands down the ramp to fit flush with the pickups. (I also didnt realise he was making this one to match the body layers, with Walnut under Ziricote). Brilliant work.

RK

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1364282570' post='2024168']
Hi Mark,

yes, the ramp is fixed with double-sided tape rather than by mechanical fixing, so it can be removed if the need arises.

I have one on each of my basses, both fixed the same way. Very secure, but still removable. I didn't realise how much work goes into a ramp, Martin sands down the ramp to fit flush with the pickups. (I also didnt realise he was making this one to match the body layers, with Walnut under Ziricote). Brilliant work.

RK
[/quote]

Hey mate, lovely bass! :)
Quick question for you, when fixing a ramp with double sided tape, is it secure enough to use as an anchor for your thumb, as you would a pickup?
Also, is there any risk to the finish of the bass?...

Thanks!
Eude

Hi Eude,

I'm in danger of becoming the Ramp anorak here, ha ha.

I find both very ramps stable, and rest my thumb on each, pretty much every time I play. Also, I took the ramp off the Bolt-On Percetion a while ago, and it was fine, no damage to the finish.

Most of the force applied to the ramp is 'downwards' i.e. across the tape, so it is very stable.

hope that helps.

RK

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1364316955' post='2024785']
Hi Eude,

I'm in danger of becoming the Ramp anorak here, ha ha.

I find both very ramps stable, and rest my thumb on each, pretty much every time I play. Also, I took the ramp off the Bolt-On Percetion a while ago, and it was fine, no damage to the finish.

Most of the force applied to the ramp is 'downwards' i.e. across the tape, so it is very stable.

hope that helps.

RK
[/quote]

Very helpful mate :)
I'm thinking about trying a ramp on my custom 6er, was just a little worried about damaging the finish, especially seeing as it's got a lovely Ziracote top, similar to yours! :)

Thank you and enjoy yer bass!

Eude