Why become a member? ×

Overwater Perception 5 build.

rk7

After buying my first Overwater, an '07 Perception 5, fifteen months ago, I recently decided to take the plunge and have a bass made, just for me! Woop! Another factor that contributed to this decision was my visit to the Overwater London Bass Day in October 12.

The guys (and girls) at Overwater, have become my good friends since my '07 arrived, and their support and service, even though I bought that bass privately, is quite exceptional. A fantastic company, an invaluable resource, and great coffee too!

Brief spec of the new build is as follows:

5 string, low B, Overwater Perception
34" Scale, Thru-neck design.
Walnut body wings with one-piece Ziricote topwood (very dark and exotic, and expensive!)
Wenge/Walnut 5-piece neck, with Ziricote head Veneer (I will stare at the Wenge for days!)
Gotoh Lightweight (Aluminium) Tuners
Hipshot individual Bridge pieces, with through-body stringing
Overwater Scott Devine electronics
Overwater Single Coil pickups
Ziricote ramp
Overwater Flatwound strings

I placed my order, after mucho guidance and advice from the OW guys, in November, and my good friend Martin Lee is doing the build. Woodwork is largely complete now and indeed it is a thing of beauty.

Lots of pics to follow!

RK

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1359123206' post='1950203']
Tasty! Is this the one they've posted a couple of build pics of on Twitter/FB?

[url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=13808542&l=4228537d79&id=325141415745"]http://www.facebook....id=325141415745[/url]
[/quote]

Yes hubrad, mine is one of a pair they are building at the moment (god, 'one of a pair', I sound like Arthur Negus!)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1359125973' post='1950286']
Looking good, I didn't realise they did through neck Perceptions, is that special order or something new from Overwater.
[/quote]

Hi Rumple,

I believe they have always been available, but are becoming more and more popular. I know of at least another one that was built last year, and there is a further one being built alongside mine. Perhaps the OW guys can further clarify.

RK

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1359127860' post='1950329']
This is awesome, it's almost like the bass is being built before our very eyes!

Ziracote Top, good choice mate, I've got some on my ACG 6er :)

Keep those pics coming!

Eude
[/quote]

Hi Eude!

Yes, Martin has been brilliant in sending me pics at every stage of the build, hence the rush of image uploads on this post. I should point out that the guys at OW have shown as much enthusiasm as me during this build, which is fantastic.

I'm loving the wood combination just for its looks, but the OW guys are already enthusing about the tone this bass will deliver. I am a lucky chap indeed.

RK

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1359129178' post='1950369']
That looks lovely!
(this is also my favourite build thread so far as all the stages to date have been nice and close together so there's no wading through pages of other folks being congratulatory in order to see the goods!)
[/quote]

Hi Andy, thanks for your comments. The build has been on the go for a week or two so I am able to upload the images held to date, but it will slow down as I catch up with martin. Sorry.

RK

Well, the latest batch of photos did it. I jumped in the car yesterday and headed for OW headquarters in Carlisle to visit the bass! I am lucky in that I live close to the factory and can call in fairly easily. i am blown away by the detail of the wood(s), and the 'magic' that top Luthiers can perform. (Its up his sleeve! lmao).

no7j4h.jpg&key=52a09f8504075c0923b0a1014e0851e2467851b5c1abea3d664136cc8f357a0c

Headstock wenge grain detail. I will stare at this, a lot. A big lot! LMAO

2h6bntd.jpg&key=7b8f94d51658ce17cd77b418b752d89941fc17d2dae97f6d63aee46d1837aa63

Front view

313n9dt.jpg&key=4d1dbba5d3f6e8866a12d551cb1ad700d572a35d90e33bedb13beb4866abc407

Body pic.

Incidentally, whilst I appreciate that there is a lot of hardware still to be fitted, I was amazed at the lightness of this bass. I know this is something Martin has been mindful of throughout the build so far, given the wood choice, but I expect that this will be a comfortable instrument to 'wear'. Result!

Edited by rk7

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1359135166' post='1950569']
Beautiful! Good choice of woods and excellent work done by Overwater. I bet you spend half your waking hours thinking about the bass! And who could blame you?
[/quote]

Hi Jimbob.

Way more than half my waking hours, and quite a lot of my sleeping hours too.

I'm very pleased with the wood choice now that the bass is coming together. I'm expecting great things from the tone of the instrument.

Happy days!

RK

Hi Rubis, yes I can.

The two slots receive small metal bars, which add some strengthening to the thru-neck construction at the neck/body joining point. Once the fingerboard goes on, they are lost forever.

But I have to point out that I am only able to answer this because I asked it myself on Thursday - I hadnt a clue, lmao. All credit goes to Mr Martin Lee, bass-builder to the stars, and RK!

yo!

RK