Why become a member? ×

classic blues listening list - any suggestions?

lowdowner

loads of Jack Bruce stuff is very blues inspired , Clapton etc , and will echo the Peter Green Fleetwood mac era , as well as all the classics , but can come equally modern with the likes of Joe Bonnamassa , the Genre is wide open , fill your boots with your own play on it

Ed to add

I have played support to [url="http://www.larrygarnerbluesman.com/home.cfm"]Larry Garner [/url]a couple of years ago when he played with Norman Beakers blues band , they were superb, 'keeping the blues alive' is his philosophy , and a great guy to boot.

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1358808691' post='1945585']
Yip - for this thread to be any use to the OP, we need something a bit more specific re: flavour of Blues...
[/quote]

See what you mean, but maybe if you're going in to blues for the first time there's something to be said for getting a feel for the full range of the tradition before diving in?

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1358806334' post='1945531']
Free (Andy Fraser is great on things like 'Going Down Slow') -
[/quote]

Very nice indeed, but for my money Duane Allman's version of Goin' Down Slow beats it hands down for sheer laid back soloing.
Talk about leaving space . . . (solo starts at 2:12)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkFOBZRAbMU

All good so far, I will add Robert Cray, Big Bill Broonzy, Sonny Terry, Brownie McGee, John Lee Hooker, Savoy Brown, Groundhogs, Freddie King, Robon Trower (some), The late Jeff Healey, Walter Trout, Colin lake....

It is a wide field, I just love the blues, my type of music.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1358810075' post='1945615']

See what you mean, but maybe if you're going in to blues for the first time there's something to be said for getting a feel for the full range of the tradition before diving in?
[/quote]

Given the timescales, if the OP just wants to be able to pick up the basics to get through the audition, I was thinking the more specific the better. The bigger picture can follow....

Wow - that's about two weeks of non-stop listening already... thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitely report back.

There seems to be a really strong culture surrounding the blues, with lots of musicians suggesting that it's a foundational genre i.e. for any kind of modern music making (i.e. not part of the classical world) not understanding or knowing about the blues will make you less of a musician in some way. I don't know about this, but it feels like i'm discovering something really important about music, even if it's late on :)

Early Animals stuff too. There is a fantastic live version of Tobacco Road by them on YouTub done slow and moody - Eric Burden's singing is really great on this. Johnny Winter (anyone mention him?) does it similarly. And Richie Kotzen, for an updated one.

I went through a similar proceedure all over christmas, with an 'audition' with a blues band last week. I considered myself a blues fan but actually hadn't gone back far enough - Howlin'Wolf, Freddie King, Willie Dixon etc. It was a fascinating exercise and made me appreciate those old players a lot more. Most of what Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Gary Moore et al play are just a copy and paste of people like Freddie King.

The audition was 'interesting' in as much as the rest of the band couldn't play very well. I am amazed at how people have the confidence to want to put togther a band playing guitar based music when they are unable to play properly themselves. The drummer said 'I haven't played with real people for opver 14 years. Still, I've always been a bit of a busker'. And it went downhill from there. Anyway, I digress. You'll have a blast listening to and learning all this stuff - I did.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]bassintheface, on 21 January 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Free (Andy Fraser is great on things like 'Going Down Slow') -[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Very nice indeed, but for my money Duane Allman's version of Goin' Down Slow beats it hands down for sheer laid back soloing. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Talk about leaving space . . . (solo starts at 2:12)[/font][/color]

I like that a lot - thanks!....the crazy thing with the Free version and them in general is that they were 17 / 18 / 19 when that album was recorded and released! Brilliant. (so maybe you could say that they didn't 'have' the blues, but could certainly play it)
That's the great thing about threads like like - you get to discover new (old) music.
I'm a big Allman Brothers fan and used to play this back in the day - http://youtu.be/0wsUNMSiIII

The blues is such a huge genre.............so, good luck with the audition!!!

Edited by bassintheface

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1358840550' post='1945754']
The audition was 'interesting' in as much as the rest of the band couldn't play very well. I am amazed at how people have the confidence to want to put togther a band playing guitar based music when they are unable to play properly themselves. The drummer said 'I haven't played with real people for opver 14 years. Still, I've always been a bit of a busker'. And it went downhill from there. Anyway, I digress. You'll have a blast listening to and learning all this stuff - I did.
[/quote]

This is what initially put me off blues music. People think that since it's only 3 chords, it must be a piece of pish to play. It is.....but only if you want to play it badly. I'm lucky to have played with some really fantastic blues players over the last 20 years and I'm still learning (usually what not to play).

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1358840472' post='1945753']

There seems to be a really strong culture surrounding the blues, with lots of musicians suggesting that it's a [b]foundational genre [/b]i.e. for any kind of modern music making (i.e. not part of the classical world) not understanding or knowing about the blues will make you less of a musician in some way.
[/quote]

This would be a good attitude to have - it's hard to argue against and will stand you in good stead whichever way you go.

As for listening, I don't think anybody's mentioned Jonny Lang yet, or for something a bit different perhaps Robert Cray? For a more 'upmarket' approach you could also check out Robben Ford.

Few more to add to the list (mix of old/new but stuff I have in my playlists atm!):

Charlie Musslewhite, Paul Butterfield, Allman Brothers, Derek Trucks, Matt Schofield, Early ZZ Top, Doyle Bramhall, Joe Bonamassa, JJ Cale, Rory Gallagher, Sonny Landreth, Albert King, Peter Green

I've been playing blues for nigh on 25 years now, I can't add any suggestions to listening recommendations as the above will keep you busy. All I'll add is find the groove, lock in with the drummer and let the melody instruments take the lead.

Also know when the leave space and when the bring in some dynamics. Well played blues is the best feeling in the world, but melody players do tend to get a little over excited and it can fall to the rhythm section to pull it back and introduce some dynamics. Try not to "over rehearse" it as the joy of the music lies in it's spontaneity.

Alternatively ignore all of the above :-)

Just to provide a bit of balance in the sexes, Sippie Wallace and Victoria Spivie are well worth a listen.

Like a number of the male blues artists they had two seperate careers divided by several decades. They started out recording in the twenties (with some of the biggest names in the business) and then were rediscovered in the blues/folk revival of the 1960's. I saw Wallace on tour with Bonnie Raitt back in the seventies and mighty fine it was too.

Steve

On a practical level , try jamming along to some blues tracks and get a feel for some of the common progressions and cliches that come up time and again in this genre . Some of the early Fleetwood Mac albums spring to mind as having a good selection of blues shuffles ect . As others have mentioned , blues is a very broad term , so getting an idea of what you will be required to play would be very helpful .

Edited by Dingus

All of the above, particularly all the Chess boys with Willie Dixon, John McVie with Mayall and Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac,Fabulous Thunderbirds and a must listen is BLUES IS KING album by BB King - Louis Satterfield on bass.
Lock in with the drummer, be lazy and a gnats cock behind the beat and remember that less is more - space and feel is your friend.
A very famous US Bluesman told me in the late 1960s that the sign of a good blues band is one where everyone except the bass and drums drop out and the whole club keeps groovin' and dancin'.
Go for it young man, forget the theory, use the force and have a good time.