Why become a member? ×

Pino Palladino - Watch the master in action.

Hutton

Years ago when Tony (the man Pino is doing this session for) lived in Belgium I got a call to do a gig with him so I had to learn all the Pino-licks from the excellent live cd "Naked Flame".
I did my best but I got fired :-) (I heard an excuse that I was unable to give energy on stage because I combined gigs with a daytime job... maybe I would have preferred that I just wasn't good enough, there's nothing wrong with saying the truth, I can handle it :-)).

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1358601460' post='1941967']
Years ago when Tony (the man Pino is doing this session for) lived in Belgium I got a call to do a gig with him so I had to learn all the Pino-licks from the excellent live cd "Naked Flame".
I did my best but I got fired :-) (I heard an excuse that I was unable to give energy on stage because I combined gigs with a daytime job... maybe I would have preferred that I just wasn't good enough, there's nothing wrong with saying the truth, I can handle it :-)).
[/quote]

Humbling story, seems a shame in some ways as you're obviously established enough as a player to get the call, you'd think that if they were after a Pino clone then they should have simply phoned a Pino clone!

Thank you... he has worked with several bassplayers but apparantly he didn't like my playing.. Those things happen, not much you can do about it.
It was a bit painful since I performed with him live after which he said that it was an honour to have me in his band.
The next gig I got a call that it was cancelled .. I was walking around in Oostende (Belgium) with my girlfriend and pointed at a bar and said "Normally I would have played here now but it was cancelled" but as I was saying it I heard music and it turned out to be Tony was playing there anyway but with another bassplayer..
I called him for an explanation the next day and he told me that 'I was bringing the blue shirt on stage and lacked energy because I had to work during the day.." (I work as a receptionist at a police-station but I'm not a policeman).
He's been gigging every now and then around here in Belgium but with another bassplayer (excellent, by the way)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJnb8Yon-nU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJnb8Yon-nU[/url]

• 1 year later...