Why become a member? ×

Audition rejection - 1st ever - bummer.

dmccombe7

After 37 yrs playing bass i finally got my first rejection from an audition. What a bummer.
Still I've only ever done 3 auditions. Rest of my work has been word of mouth.
Guy who auditioned first got the job cause "he just clicked with the rest of the band"
Ah well you win some you lose some.
Some nice feedback from the band tho so not all negative.

Now to start looking all over again.

Dave

Surely this was all about how much they 'liked' the individual (which is an important thing) - it's highly personal. Not a comment on your playing in any way.

Some you win, some you lose, on to the next :)

Mind you - with such a fab bass, i'm surprised they didn't give you the job on the spot without bothering to hear you play! ;)

Commiserations. I had first rejection about two years ago, along with guitar player who I think is outstanding. I also felt we played well for the two full set auditions (no, before you ask there was not an audience). You win some, you lose some, move along no news here.

I took my Jazz to the audition. Maybe the Overwater might have impressed more but it was down to personality rather than playing from what they told me.
They were very nice about it tho and i don't have any bad feelings or anything like that towards them. I'm a big believer in being able to get along with people in the band.

Dave

I've only ever audtioned for 2 bands, and got in both. I would say though I've depped in a number of bands over the past 3 years, and each have said that they may need me for future dates, but none have came my way! Also, the studio guy I used to do a bit of session work for has stopped calling me, so I'm taking that as rejection! haha. Its crap innit!

As long as you are happy with what you did it may just be that they gelled with the other guy.
I wouldn't take it personally.

I lose some gigs to a few guys and when I see them on a gig I know I could cover it, but they choose who they prefer..and they have their reasons.

Wouldn't beat yourself up about it....

We've been auditioning a new drummer and it's all a bit weird. They could all play well enough, but I suppose it came down to things like percieved committment, interest in the type of music we play, actually having some transport to get to gigs (!), answering texts in less than two days. Stuff like that :)

I wouldn`t worry about it too much. There seems to be a shortage of bass players in the Glasgow area. Unfortunatley, there is also a glut of numpties looking to form bands in the Glasgow area!! :D

Stick an advert in Gumtree and they will come running too you............

You're taking it better than I did, I "failed" an audition a few months ago and I was really pissed off. Mostly because they never told me it was an audition, they said it was a jam so I didn't sweat the preparation too much. I also asked repeatedly if they wanted me to learn any of their songs and they said no. The "audition" was then 2 hours of them playing their songs and me having to make up basslines on the fly. In hindsight I'm glad I didn't get in as they were obviously unprofessional and incompetent, but at the time it really pissed me off.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1358281793' post='1936367']
Guy who auditioned first got the job cause "he just clicked with the rest of the band"
[/quote]
You can't really argue with that - no reflection on you, just that they found someone who connected with them straight from the off!

No reflection on your playing, just wish em luck and who knows, they may call you at some point in the future if the new guy doesn't work out or moves on.....

Edited by peteb

I have had a couple of audition rejections based upon not being able to click on a personal level with the other musicians. You have got to gel with each other to make it a fun experience and never take it in a negative way if you don't get the gig if they feel that you have little in common or have opposing personalities.

Keep yer pecker up. The right opportunity with the right people will come your way.

This is going to be my big problem at the next one I'm off to. Speaking to the band leader on the phone he gave the strong impression that the band was as much a social thing as anything and 'rehearsals' frequently went to 5 hours. I haven't been in this type of band environment for a long time and as they are complete strangers and, looking at some youtube clips, about half my age I think this will end up being the stumbling block on both sides.

I've had a few rejections, in genres I prefer too. But for some really weird reasons - my favourite was I didnt play a Fender so obviously wasnt really into funk (wtf??)

Don't worry about it (although it is hard not too!), hasnt stopped me ending up in the best band I've ever been in at the moment :D

Don't sweat it Dave, you are an excellent bass player, but often auditioners have pre concieved ideas. Quite often the first auditionee gets it cos by the time they get to the third or forth the guitards one brain cell has given up :P .
I've failed a few, a Rush tribute band was the worst. Then I got to thinking how rigid I would have to be in most tribute bands and talked myself into being relieved.
Whoever gets you will be lucky and always remember you are auditioning them as well.
Karl.

Edited by karlfer