Why become a member? ×

US Fender Playability?

6v6

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1357567652' post='1924565']
If the name Fender isn`t specifically required, the Squier Classic Vibes have to be worth checking out. Really nice players. Think there are a couple on here for about £220.

[/quote]

I went with an open mind last weekend and tried Affinities, Classic Vibe and Mexican (as well as US which was over budget)
The best one for me was the Classic Vibe (playability, fit and finish). It also happened to be the nearest to how I have my basses (very low nut, and low overall action) which I guess is no coincidence...

If I was going to be spending a lot of money I would take my allen keys with me and at least adjust the saddle height, neck relief and intonation to my liking as no shop can possibly know my preferences ahead of me going there and it is clearly such a large factor in whether I like one bass over another.

The Squier CVs are made by Grand Design in China and they are very good indeed, Farida is their own name and I think they are even better than the Squiers.
Some of the new Fenders are now made at the same factory and these are getting very good reviews, but I'm yet to try one.

I would contact Dawsons about the Farida P bass and also PM Daz on here, (I think he has one) they have doubled in price since I got mine, but still a lot cheaper than a Fender.
The cheap price along with the fact that they are only available through Dawsons has not done them any favours.
If they had a more trendy name, they could sell for a lot more and they would be more popular.
I notice you mentioned light weight and that can be be a downside with the Faridas,

If I was after a brand new P bass on a budget, I'd agree with Lozz and try this:
[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/basses/precision-bass/matt-freeman-precision-bass/"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/basses/precision-bass/matt-freeman-precision-bass/[/url]

I would echo what some others here have said about the Squier Classic Vibe Precisions . They are very nice basses by any standards , and if you find a good one then you got a very usable bass for sensible money that if you so desire you can always upgrade later with better pickups ect . . The Fiesta Red one looks particulaly nice to me .

Thanks to all for the responses :)

Pretty sad reflection on USA Fenders when the overwhelming conclusion to my "I want a nice-playing ~1K USA Precision" question is "buy a cheap Chinese made copy"

Still, as I said above, I'm not bothered by the manufacturer, so if that works out then the there will be money for other gear with the money saved I guess :)

/me considers the CV precision in the classifieds...

I am biased. I love Fender precisions. If I wanted a brand new precision I would buy a U.S.A. standard P. If it wasn't playable out of the box and the dealer has done nothing I would set it up to the best of my abilities. If I really wanted "playing-like-butter" qualities then I would take it my local guy who does wonders when he sets up a bass. To be honest, when I get any bass it goes to my local guy because I know that no matter how good the bass feels when I get it he will make it better. The current Fender USA standard precision is a cracking instrument. I know many on here don't like Fenders and a thread like this allows them to say so and that's perfectly all right. I just want to say that I would have the USA P before the MIM,MIJ,CIJ, or Squier. I love P basses and I've played all the variants and I prefer the USA offering. Now, I am not well-acquainted with the more expensive vintage basses or the custom shop offerings so would not venture an opinion. There you are, just my offering to the debate. All the best in the precsion quest!

Edited by Hutton

Unless there is an actual fault with the bass (i.e. dodgy neck) then any bass can be made to play and feel good. I have made £99 basses feel and play great. What I can't do is change what they are made of (quality and type of woods and fit and finish) and what I can change (components - hardware, pickups electronics) all adds up in price.

So setup of the is irrelevant when buying a bass but yet very important when testing it! As long as it sounds good and just needs adjustments in playability does it even matter?

Finding the 'right' Fender can be a tricky process. I do think that a lot of the 'dogs' we find shops are due to a poor setup which can be pretty much fixed rather than serious problems with the actual instrument. However a really high action can also be a lazy way of hiding somewhat uneven/untidy fret work, leading to buzzing when it is lowered. If I am going to be paying £1000 on a bass I would want it to play well right away.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1357563222' post='1924456']
Just sounds like a simple case of a lazy dealer who can't be bothered to set their basses up properly.

Was it, by any chance, a 'generalist' dealer that focuses much more on guitars than basses?

I've played some new Fenders that, when properly set up, have been really nice both in terms of feel and playability and core tone.

There was one particular 2010 US Standard Jazz that put a lot of expensive basses to shame.
[/quote]was that the one that we had dealings with Barrie..? if so, yes it was a cracker... the newer standard/deluxe Fender jazz basses are superb imo...

ive also played some Fenders that keep up easily with the Sadowsky's, Sei's and other high end basses ive owned,.. consistency isnt there best side, but when they get it right they really get it right... imo [size=3]the thing with the tone side of jazz basses are the single coil pickups... i put some nordy hum cancelling pickups in a custom shop 1970 jazz bass and didnt like it.... great for recording but the jazz bass sparkly and punch just wasnt there..[/size]

Edited by bubinga5

I've had more than a dozen of them in my time - all USA Fenders. I have three now and they suit me just fine.

Some of the basses I've had in the past, whether Fender or otherwise, have needed some tweaks from my guitar tech to get them right, and then they have been fine.

Most of my Fenders have been mojo players from day 1 - three or four of them needed a little help, and then they were fine.

Don't worry about the Fender haters on here. I forgive them.

Been lucky with my three US Fenders (S1 jazz, active P deluxe and 50th anniv passive P) , all play extremely well. They were all bought secondhand though so were set up and played in already. Two have had a bit of further tweaking from a local tech but basically they are quality instruments from the off. Two are from 2003 and the other is a 2001(recently picked from a fellow BC'er) so maybe the early noughties were one of Fender USA's good spells? Having said that I've generally heard good reports from recent US models so find the OP a bit surprising.

Having owned (and just sold today!) a CIJ Fender P, i would very much recommend them.

Fretmeister has got a very nice example up for sale as we speak:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194430-fs-fender-japan-1962-re-issue-precision/page__p__1907005__hl__fender%20japan__fromsearch__1#entry1907005"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1907005[/url]

If it's anything like mine was, you could do a lot worse than take a punt on it ;)

I have also owned a fiesta red Classic Vibe Squier P bass. It was a very nice P bass indeed, but i have to say that the CIJ edged it in terms of quality.

Edited by Bobby K

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1357578574' post='1924787']
was that the one that we had dealings with Barrie..? if so, yes it was a cracker... the newer standard/deluxe Fender jazz basses are superb imo...
[/quote]

That's the baby - every person i know that played that one loved it!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1357577620' post='1924769']
It's taken me 25 years to find a Fender I like.

And in that time I've never had a bad Status, Zon, Yamaha, Washburn, or Aria.

And that doesn't include others of which I've only owned one.
[/quote]

Blimey, you've been lucky!

I've never tried a bad Zon but I've had some absolute howlers from the other three. Especially Status :(

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1357580012' post='1924812']

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194430-fs-fender-japan-1962-re-issue-precision/page__p__1907005__hl__fender%20japan__fromsearch__1#entry1907005"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1907005[/url]

If it's anything like mine was, you could do a lot worse than take a punt on it ;)

[/quote]

I agree that looks like a very nice bass.
My favourite Jazz apart from the '63 is a Jap one.

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1357577376' post='1924762']
Unless there is an actual fault with the bass (i.e. dodgy neck) then any bass can be made to play and feel good. I have made £99 basses feel and play great. What I can't do is change what they are made of (quality and type of woods and fit and finish) and what I can change (components - hardware, pickups electronics) all adds up in price.

So setup of the is irrelevant when buying a bass but yet very important when testing it! As long as it sounds good and just needs adjustments in playability does it even matter?
[/quote]

So I see your point, but IMHO, setup is only one of several components which affect the playability of any guitar/bass:
- Quality/accuracy of fretwork/fret-dress
- Quality/accuracy of fretboard (can't get a low action if there are any major humps)
- Quality of neck join (avoid shimming, tighter join == better resonance)
- Weight (indirect playability/comfort/resonance/sustain)

I agree that nowadays cheap instruments are really very good due to the prevalence of CNC machinery etc, but you can't dismiss setup as irrellevant, otherwise you may find that the bass you've acquired needs loads of expensive fret levelling work doing, re-cut nut, neck shimming etc - all of which is well beyond a few tweaks with an allen key and well beyond most "mere mortals" ability in terms of setup (ie me :D)

I for one feel much more comfortable (particularly with a fairly high priced instrument) getting something which is already "in the ballpark" setup wise, as it gives me much better confidence that the construction is all good, and that the setup can be tweaked to my preferences without major luthier attention - taking a gamble on an expensive bass with like 8mm action at the 12th fret is just not worth it IMHO, but each to their own ;)

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1357566577' post='1924539']

Well I'm open to any manufacturer - If I can find a nice, light, resonant P, with good playability and tone for £149 I'll be over-the-moon, I don't care what's on the headstock tbh.

The Faridas appear to be J-bass style only, and have gone up to £299 according to the dawsons website.
[/quote]
I don't know where in Hampshire you are, but you're welcome to try my Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn if you're ever coming through West Sussex

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1357583111' post='1924876']

So I see your point, but IMHO, setup is only one of several components which affect the playability of any guitar/bass:
- Quality/accuracy of fretwork/fret-dress
- Quality/accuracy of fretboard (can't get a low action if there are any major humps)
- Quality of neck join (avoid shimming, tighter join == better resonance)
- Weight (indirect playability/comfort/resonance/sustain)

I agree that nowadays cheap instruments are really very good due to the prevalence of CNC machinery etc, but you can't dismiss setup as irrellevant, otherwise you may find that the bass you've acquired needs loads of expensive fret levelling work doing, re-cut nut, neck shimming etc - all of which is well beyond a few tweaks with an allen key and well beyond most "mere mortals" ability in terms of setup (ie me :D)

I for one feel much more comfortable (particularly with a fairly high priced instrument) getting something which is already "in the ballpark" setup wise, as it gives me much better confidence that the construction is all good, and that the setup can be tweaked to my preferences without major luthier attention - taking a gamble on an expensive bass with like 8mm action at the 12th fret is just not worth it IMHO, but each to their own ;)
[/quote] agreed apart from the bit about shimming a neck. That's dead easy. My JV currently sports half a rail ticket from bargeddie to glasgow central

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1357580012' post='1924812']
Having owned (and just sold today!) a CIJ Fender P, i would very much recommend them.

I have also owned a fiesta red Classic Vibe Squier P bass. It was a very nice P bass indeed, but i have to say that the CIJ edged it in terms of quality.
[/quote]

Thank you squire!

I don't really want to sell it, but needs must and all that.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1357581250' post='1924831']

Blimey, you've been lucky!

I've never tried a bad Zon but I've had some absolute howlers from the other three. Especially Status :(
[/quote]

Really?

What was the issue with Status? I've had 4, all brilliant. Only selling my Streamline because I don't get on with the newer neck shape.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1357583935' post='1924903']
agreed apart from the bit about shimming a neck. That's dead easy. My JV currently sports half a rail ticket from bargeddie to glasgow central
[/quote]

I think you'll find a ticket from to Inverness to Dundee will give you slightly more sustain .

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1357574785' post='1924714']
I am biased. I love Fender precisions. If I wanted a brand new precision I would buy a U.S.A. standard P. If it wasn't playable out of the box and the dealer has done nothing I would set it up to the best of my abilities. If I really wanted "playing-like-butter" qualities then I would take it my local guy who does wonders when he sets up a bass. To be honest, when I get any bass it goes to my local guy because I know that no matter how good the bass feels when I get it he will make it better. The current Fender USA standard precision is a cracking instrument. I know many on here don't like Fenders and a thread like this allows them to say so and that's perfectly all right. I just want to say that I would have the USA P before the MIM,MIJ,CIJ, or Squier. I love P basses and I've played all the variants and I prefer the USA offering. Now, I am not well-acquainted with the more expensive vintage basses or the custom shop offerings so would not venture an opinion. There you are, just my offering to the debate. All the best in the precsion quest!
[/quote]
[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1357578893' post='1924792']
I've had more than a dozen of them in my time - all USA Fenders. I have three now and they suit me just fine.

Some of the basses I've had in the past, whether Fender or otherwise, have needed some tweaks from my guitar tech to get them right, and then they have been fine.

Most of my Fenders have been mojo players from day 1 - three or four of them needed a little help, and then they were fine.

Don't worry about the Fender haters on here. I forgive them.
[/quote]

Both of these posts are pretty much where I`m at too. Although I`ve liked (ok, loved) all the Precisions I`ve had, through Squier Affinity/Standard/CV, to MIM/MIM Classic, US Standards, 70s Precisions etc, the one I`ve settled on is my US 2011 recently bought. I just play the recent US Standards better than the others. And have a CIJ as backup, which is also a darn fine bass, but the US pips it for me.