Why become a member? ×

US Fender Playability?

6v6

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1357585596' post='1924947']
I think you'll find a ticket from to Inverness to Dundee will give you slightly more sustain .
[/quote]
change at Aberdeen or Perth?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1357588226' post='1925012']
Both of these posts are pretty much where I`m at too. Although I`ve liked (ok, loved) all the Precisions I`ve had, through Squier Affinity/Standard/CV, to MIM/MIM Classic, US Standards, 70s Precisions etc, the one I`ve settled on is my US 2011 recently bought. I just play the recent US Standards better than the others. And have a CIJ as backup, which is also a darn fine bass, but the US pips it for me.
[/quote] I'm thinking about it. I wouldn't not play one of the current USA ones - i've not been blown away by them but I wouldn't not play them... My hand prefers the japanese necks slightly. One to try and play is the US vintage reissues ones - the ones of them I've tried have been fantastic.
Mind you... I've always found the basschat market place a great place to find great basses with normally a brilliant set up.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1357558963' post='1924328']
You just discovered the meaning of fender. Heavy, plastic coated poorly made clones of the highest order. The name sells more guitars than the quality I'm afraid. I'm sure you can find 'good' ones or have one setup by a luthier (something you wont find in a fender factory/plant). You are much better off with your Ibanez. Gary Willis=Ibanez. Flea=fender. Says it all if you ask me.
[/quote]

This is wisdom...and coming from a superb luthier this statement is an absolute truism.

I have been super dissapointed by most of the new Fenders I have played. Fenders stranglehold on the bass market is absolute...to the stage that when even considering criticising them you feel a strange sort of guilt and you know you will have plenty of players lining up to shout you down! Its almost like a form of brain washing.

As I have been saying for some years...the best Fenders I have played have been Lakland skylines!

Ahem...preparing for an ear bashing ;)

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1357589601' post='1925049']
This is wisdom...and coming from a superb luthier this statement is an absolute truism.

I have been super dissapointed by most of the new Fenders I have played. Fenders stranglehold on the bass market is absolute...to the stage that when even considering criticising them you feel a strange sort of guilt and you know you will have plenty of players lining up to shout you down! Its almost like a form of brain washing.

As I have been saying for some years...the best Fenders I have played have been Lakland skylines!

Ahem...preparing for an ear bashing ;)
[/quote]

I think the "superb luthier" may have an agenda which extends beyond enjoying a product though.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1357592119' post='1925107']
To be fair I have been brain washed by Letts basses lol...but thats another thread!
[/quote]Yer in me power!
Absolutely no to hidden agendas. I love dissing the fender and you wont find me speaking ill of any respectable makers of MODERN quality instruments.
I'm a basschat nut and mainly stick to the repair tech advice threads but occasionally cannot help myself when it comes to this kind of stuff depending on my level of grumpiness on any given day. My comments here rarely make me any new friends or sales as far as I know.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1357593639' post='1925151']
Yer in me power!
Absolutely no to hidden agendas. I love dissing the fender and you wont find me speaking ill of any respectable makers of MODERN quality instruments.
I'm a basschat nut and mainly stick to the repair tech advice threads but occasionally cannot help myself when it comes to this kind of stuff depending on my level of grumpiness on any given day. My comments here rarely make me any new friends or sales as far as I know.
[/quote]

To be fair, I didn't say hidden. Had a look at the Lettsbass website. Fair play and applaude the original, non copy, designs.

Although, as a consequence, your bound to recommend something other than Fender.

Wasn't dissing you. Fair play to you - but I don't agree with your view on The Big F.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1357595019' post='1925191']
To be fair, I didn't say hidden. Had a look at the Lettsbass website. Fair play and applaude the original, non copy, designs.

Although, as a consequence, your bound to recommend something other than Fender.

Wasn't dissing you. Fair play to you - but I don't agree with your view on The Big F.
[/quote]Sound as. Thanks dl. With that avatar I'd expect you to have a different opinion :)
Theres a time and a place for every kind of bass. With fenders its first thing wednesday morning on the pavement (bin day) ;)

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1357593639' post='1925151']
Yer in me power!
[/quote]

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1357595255' post='1925197']
Sound as. Thanks dl. With that avatar I'd expect you to have a different opinion :)
Theres a time and a place for every kind of bass. With fenders its first thing wednesday morning on the pavement (bin day) ;)
[/quote]
I have owned quite a few Fenders over the years (some of them desirable oldies), most of them good solid workhorses after being adjusted to my preference - but I laterally prefered Lakland for Fender style basses...better QC etc.

I switched to Ibanez premium basses a few months ago...and I believe that they are one of the most playable underrated basses on the market. People look down their nose ask me all the time why I have switched to Ibanez after owning vintage Fenders, Wal's, Alembic etc etc.

Its like being the hunchback of notre dame "The Ibanezzzzzzsss, the Ibanezzzzzzzzsss"...I'm a freak for playing Ibanez & not Fenders lol.

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1357595919' post='1925218']
I have owned quite a few Fenders over the years (some of them desirable oldies), most of them good solid workhorses after being adjusted to my preference - but I laterally prefered Lakland for Fender style basses...better QC etc.

I switched to Ibanez premium basses a few months ago...and I believe that they are one of the most playable underrated basses on the market. People look down their nose ask me all the time why I have switched to Ibanez after owning vintage Fenders, Wal's, Alembic etc etc.

Its like being the hunchback of notre dame "The Ibanezzzzzzsss, the Ibanezzzzzzzzsss"...I'm a freak for playing Ibanez & not Fenders lol.
[/quote]:)
Dont listen to em mate. Find a bass [i]you [/i]like and forget names and image. I would say it's a status thing but that would just confuse everybody :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1357596210' post='1925228']
:)
Dont listen to em mate. Find a bass [i]you [/i]like and forget names and image. I would say it's a status thing but that would just confuse everybody :)
[/quote]
What I need is a Letts bass....but thats another discussion for another day :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1357596210' post='1925228']
:)
Find a bass [i]you [/i]like and forget names and image.
[/quote]

Excelllent advice.

If i was a director in Fender i would be reading this thread with one of two reactions.
1. This is a wake up call and our name is no longer fit to be on our products because the basses are so hit and miss and the sales staff dont help. We gotta geta grip of this and maintain our integrity . For the sake of the legacy of the man whose name is on the headstock. If leo was here would this be happening..?

2. Ha ha ha ha. People, kids, the dogs in the street will buy our bass no matter what. Because we are fender. Not because it is a good bass every time.

At the risk of starting something. Henry ford invented the car and they went through a time when the only thing they were good for was pushing downhill to start on a wet winter morning. Now they have got their act together because the competition get better evry day and after my fiesta mk2 misery i wud consider one again. I owned a fender usa p from 1994 and only sold it recently to upgrade out of need. Having spent some time shopping recently id say the same spec usa p bass aint as good.
Hit and miss is the norm . Try before u buy. Never buy a fender u havnt playd. Sound familiar?

Edited by bassman344

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1357635461' post='1925551']
Fender are selling by the container load and ford are in massive financial trouble having to sell off their best bits just to stay afloat!
[/quote]

Yep, but they did manage to finally build a car that I wouldn't have to park at the top of a hill each night to have a fighting chance of getting to start each morning by pushing it down the other side. Shame they bankrupt themselves doing it. :lol:

Fender will have an aisle in Tesco and Asda soon ; somewhere between the deli counter and the deoderant. . . !!!! :P

Edited by bassman344

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1357643375' post='1925721']
Fender will have an aisle in Tesco and Asda soon ; somewhere between the deli counter and the deoderant. . . !!!! :P
[/quote]

Any music manufacturer would give their eye teeth to have that sort of distribution network behind them!

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1357634692' post='1925536']
Excelllent advice.

If i was a director in Fender i would be reading this thread with one of two reactions.
1. This is a wake up call and our name is no longer fit to be on our products because the basses are so hit and miss and the sales staff dont help. We gotta geta grip of this and maintain our integrity . For the sake of the legacy of the man whose name is on the headstock. If leo was here would this be happening..?

2. Ha ha ha ha. People, kids, the dogs in the street will buy our bass no matter what. Because we are fender. Not because it is a good bass every time.

At the risk of starting something. Henry ford invented the car and they went through a time when the only thing they were good for was pushing downhill to start on a wet winter morning. Now they have got their act together because the competition get better evry day and after my fiesta mk2 misery i wud consider one again. I owned a fender usa p from 1994 and only sold it recently to upgrade out of need. Having spent some time shopping recently id say the same spec usa p bass aint as good.
Hit and miss is the norm . Try before u buy. Never buy a fender u havnt playd. Sound familiar?
[/quote]

I don't think this is accurate in any way shape or form. This post, to me, says more about the poster than the reality of the situation.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1357650411' post='1925930']
I think it's more of a wake-up call to shops to start setting basses up so they're vaguely playable before hanging them out on the wall. That way, if a bass is a dog, it's because it's a dog. Send it back.

The internet is killing you all. Put some effort into it.
[/quote]

Good point. The argument trotted out many a time is that we must use the bricks and mortar shops otherwise they will dissappear. However, the shops may not be helping their cause if they remove the main reason for going to a shop (i.e. play before you buy)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1357650411' post='1925930']
I think it's more of a wake-up call to shops to start setting basses up so they're vaguely playable before hanging them out on the wall. That way, if a bass is a dog, it's because it's a dog. Send it back.

The internet is killing you all. Put some effort into it.
[/quote]

Bloody right! Good old-fashioned customer service is what we want! :)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1357650076' post='1925916']
Any music manufacturer would give their eye teeth to have that sort of distribution network behind them!
[/quote]Not necessarily. Mass production doesn't appeal to everyone. It's not always about making mega bucks. It is actually sometimes about making the best guitars that you can which is how Leo started out, although he did turn to labour division and machines to increase production which is how it all starts to go horribly wrong. imo!