Why become a member? ×

Picks slipping while playing

Brian Ludwig

Had a big problem with my .46 and .38 Dunlop picks slipping round my fingers whilst playing my bass guitars. I read in an old edition of Bass Guitar magazine a section on a product called The Pick Bag. This is a piece of thin rubber which covers the top half of any normal sized pick and it has truely transformed my playing. I no longer have to grip the pick so tight that my fingers go numb etc. My touch is lighter and playing is faster without errors. The unfortunate thing is that this product is difficult to get hold of as it is made in Germany and is only available via Ebay. I cannot rate this product highly enough and if any guitar shops are reading this then I believe this would be an ideal product to sell. I have no connection with the producers of this product and state the above only because I believe that everyone would benefit from using it. I certainly have.
Brian Ludwig
Fender Jazz
Musicman Sterling
Both left handed with flat would strings

Edited by Brian Ludwig

I've actually tried these and the problem is they only come with certain thicknesses of picks and are not as comfortable in use. The Pick Bag fits OVER any pick so you are not restricted and they give a far more comfortable grip. I've yet to find someting that is better. Well worth trying - IF you can get a hold of them !

Sandpaper will only partly do the job - I've tried it. Why not spend a few pounds and get something that will remain in perfect condition doing the job required of it AND has the benefit of being transferrable to any other pick ? Saves any 'skint' fingers etc. As I say I've tried many things to 'improve' my grip on picks and nothing has come as close to perfection as the Pick Bag. Just my opinion but relevant nevertheless - even Bass Guitar Magazine agreed with me !

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1357642876' post='1925706']
I used to have a similar problem.
I took a leave from dimebag darrell's book, and started to use tortex picks (1.14/ purple) and use a Stanley knife to score the sides which leave the sides much easier to grip and keep still in your fingers
[/quote]

The bassist from Lamb Of God does this too, apparently he got the idea from dime! :)

I rarely use em myself, but I've got a few 'cactus picks' which have a nice grippiness to em :)

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1357642876' post='1925706']
I used to have a similar problem.
I took a leave from dimebag darrell's book, and started to use tortex picks (1.14/ purple) and use a Stanley knife to score the sides which leave the sides much easier to grip and keep still in your fingers
[/quote]
Fine till you amputate your fingertips with the Stanley knife!

[quote name='Brian Ludwig' timestamp='1357648703' post='1925878']
Sandpaper will only partly do the job - I've tried it. Why not spend a few pounds and get something that will remain in perfect condition doing the job required of it AND has the benefit of being transferrable to any other pick ? Saves any 'skint' fingers etc. As I say I've tried many things to 'improve' my grip on picks and nothing has come as close to perfection as the Pick Bag. Just my opinion but relevant nevertheless - even Bass Guitar Magazine agreed with me !
[/quote]

Are you in any way involved with the company?

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1357499770' post='1923652']
Dava picks

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plectrum-Dava-Grip-Tip-Pack/dp/B00154OJOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357499618&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co...57499618&sr=8-1[/url]

That is all B)
[/quote]Tried these and they are not apatch on the Pick Bag's - believe me I've tried just about everything and they really are the very best on the market BUT they cost a lot however you do get long term value for money - and NO I don't own the company rather just trying to enlighten people !

I had this problem with the .73 jim dunlop picks I prefer to use so I just got a stapler, put 2 staples through the pick in a cross shape, pressed down the raised edges and haven't had a pick slip since. Doesn't cut into your finger and doesn't feel uncomfortable either. Works a treat. Did on a whole pack of .73's after that.

Here's one I did (went with four on this one though 'cos I was being arty haha)

[IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/Stevie_Dewar/null-10.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by StevieD_FenderP2009