Why become a member? ×

Weight & Nut Width ???

Ghost Rider

[size=5][font=times new roman,times,serif]Hi fellow BC's,

I've noticed that alot of people ask questions about the weight of bass & the width of nut & wonder why?

If a bass is for sale there is usually info on it on the internet regarding the weight & width of nut so it seems like a bit of a waste of time as a bit of research usually does the job.

I have played a geddy lee Jazz up to a 50's Precision reissue & have owned about 20 basses in my time. I have not found any trouble with the width of nut & my hands are not like shovels. The weight thing seems really odd too. If a bass is a pound or so either way does it REALLY make that much difference???

Cheers for the advice in advance "Ghost Rider"...[/font][/size]

[size=5][font=times new roman,times,serif]Merry Christmas[/font][/size]

I always ask both questions as both make a difference to me as to whether I would buy a bass.

Nut width - I don't get on with a neck wider than 40mm. I haven't got small hands, I just find them much more comfortable.

Weight - I have a bad lower back and wearing a bass that weighs more then 9lbs is uncomfortable intitially, next day it is extremely painful.

(edit - before anyone trots out the 'it isn't about weight, it is about balance' stuff - for me and my particualr issues it IS about weight as much as balance)

There are a lot of basses out there - no need to have one that doesn't suit.

Happy new year!

Edited by Paul S

Some people have got bad backs and/or shoulders so wouldn't be best pleased with a 12lb bass hanging off them for a few hours.

As far as neck width goes, I like how a chunky neck feels when I play and I dislike how a skinny neck feels. I can't explain it any better than a skinny neck feels like a toy. The strings are too close together at the nut and it feels wrong. I could train myself to get used to it, but I lack the inclination to do so. If nothing else it gives me something polarising to say when this subject comes up ;)

Edited by neepheid

Nut width should be easily found online if a bass is standard, but this isn't always the case. To take one example, Fender MIJ nut widths on reissue P Basses can be different from year to year or depending on model type (which with Fender isn't always obvious). To me at least, nut width is hugely important so I think definitely a fair question to ask.

Then when it comes to weight, even two basses in the same range can have different weights, so again an important consideration.

Must admit, if I`m selling a bass I try to remember to include these details. If a recently made bass, I just put a link to the manufacturesrs gumph about the bass. If not, I try and measure up. Re weight, some mind the weight, some don`t, and they can vary immensely in the same range. A mate of mine had the same 1977 Fender Precision as me - aside from mine weighed about 10lbs, and his is 13lbs.

Same here, back problems so weight is a huge factor for me. Anything over 9lbs is pretty much a definite no go, no matter how well it balances.

I personally don't like skinny nut widths and I have small hands. My P bass has a nut width of 42mm which is just right for me. But, however, I know great big rugby player type guys with hands like shovels who much prefer the 38mm jazz nut.

It might only be 3 or 4mm difference in width at the nut but that can make all the difference. I can play a jazz neck at 38mm but much prefer my Status S2 neck width at 41mm. It's just personal taste and you have to try as many different basses with different nut widths to find what is most comfortable for you. Then there is the depth of the neck at the nut and the twelfth fret. The profile to the back of the neck. The taper of the neck. The heal. Getting board yet. Lots to consider. Just try lots of different basses.

Weight's important to me, my Dingwall's been a 7lb 8oz eye-opener, anything much over 8lb these days has me looking askance at it, and as has been said above the weight variance in nominally identical basses can be plenty. Lots of manufacturers either give ballpark figures or sometimes no weight figures at all. Nut widths, although much more commonly stated, can also vary, it's just nice to check.

As you say, nut width is 'generally' a specific measurement which can be found with a bit of research; however, some manufacturers change widths over time and yes that is on the exact same model. If you are generally used to a certain width and your playing style suits a particular dimension then it might be worth checking, particularly if you know that a model has varying widths depending upon age/vintage. TBH I have no problem swapping between skinny and broad necks and even the neck profile (shallow/deep) doesn't bother me.

The matter of weight is altogether different. Manufacturers quote a figure for 'approximate' weight but this can vary massively. Personal experience with 40+ Warwick NT basses where I have had Streamer Stage I basses varying from 7lb 9oz (one of my present basses) to a 10lb 12oz monster, that's 3lb 3oz difference... not great fun if like me you have a recurring shoulder injury that leaves me in pain if I play a bass that is much more than 9lb (a recurring theme, judging by previous post)! I have also owned 3 Lakland JO basses and they varied between 9lb 1oz and 11lb 13oz, again that can be a big issue with anyone suffering from shoulder/back problems.

Oh and I know that you can buy special 'X' straps etc as well as some basses that weigh virtually nothing but when you want the tone/feel/look of a certain bass then it pays to ask for an 'accurate' weight rather than the manufacturers guesstimate. ;)

The online specs are meaningless IMO, SR5's are meant to be 10lbs or something, they can be as little as 8.5 and as much as 12, try hanging two bags of sugar off the bottom of your bass at the next gig you do and tell us if its a waste of time asking ;)

Nut width is easier I agree although not all basses are equal especially regarding bolt on neck basses, plenty of P's with a J neck out there and visa versa, SR4's are available with a Slo neck (jazz width) pre EB Stingrays had an option of a narrow nut too I beleive, neither have that written on them (maybe the slo but I have never seen one!)

Lucky you for never having a back, neck or shoulder problem, and I really hope the day never comes when the weight of a bass become a major issue for you.
As for nut width, I agree that most of this info should be readily available online.

[size=5]Hey Guys & Girls, Thanks very much for all the very detailed info, its much appreciated...[/size]

[size=5]If I sell another Bass on here I will know the importance of "Whats the Weight" & "Width of Nut".[/size]

[size=5]I have never been asked it before when selling a bass so never thought it was Crucial. [/size]

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1356615737' post='1911647']
I always ask both questions as both make a difference to me as to whether I would buy a bass.

Nut width - I don't get on with a neck wider than 40mm. I haven't got small hands, I just find them much more comfortable.

Weight - I have a bad lower back and wearing a bass that weighs more then 9lbs is uncomfortable intitially, next day it is extremely painful.

(edit - before anyone trots out the 'it isn't about weight, it is about balance' stuff - for me and my particualr issues it IS about weight as much as balance)

There are a lot of basses out there - no need to have one that doesn't suit.

Happy new year!
[/quote]

Absolutely!

I suffered a really bad lower back injury and anything over 9lbs is out of the question as my usual gigs require at least 3 hours of playing.

I bought a Lakland sight unseen online (never a good idea) - and to my horror when it arrived it weighed almost 12 lbs!!! Needless to say it was unusable for me. I later bought another Lakland that weighed just under 8lbs.

Weight is all important to me.

When I was a lot younger than I am now, the weight of a bass was never a consideration - however, due to arthritis, neck & back problems, sciatica etc, etc now it is vital!!

I love Status Basses & have owned quite a few over the years - the only reason I don't own one at present is the weight of them!

I'm sure that if they offered a lightweight version of their wonderful instruments - I can't be the only one who would own one once again & no matter how many superlatives bass reviewers use to describe a bass, if the weight is much above 8lbs, or worse still they don't state the weight - l've lost interest in a nano second, or even a jiffy!!

It may be a subject that most bass builders are unaware of - just like how much businesses can lose because they only offer a 0845 contact number - I'm sure I'm not the only scrooge out there either??

Edited by dodgnofski