Why become a member? ×

Cars for Bassplayers

cloudburst

Audi A4 estate - good car but rubbish for boot space. The boot space is nice and square but only measures 1m by 1 m. I recently picked up an ESP Eclipse (Les Paul style, six string guitar) from a fellow Basschatter and struggled to fit that in the boot of my one in the case (I had to partially lay the rear seats down). My previous car, on the other hand (a Toyota Avensis), had a Tardis-like quality to the boot where it looked small but could fit in absolutely anything (even a full size Warwick flightcase). I know the Avensis isn't on your list but it's actually a very good car and extremely practical.

Edited by darkandrew

Haven't read the entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned- Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra. All the same car, fantastic drivers, and tons of space. Ok, it won't win awards for looks or speed (although ours is only a 90HP one, and copes alright), but in terms of practicality (unless you live in a city centre) it ticks nearly all the boxes. Surprisingly, they are remarkable fun to drive. I drive my mums one like a bit of a looney, and it just keeps going!

I think the VW Touran might be pretty similar though, but the galaxys/sharans might be worth a look too. ours has 180,000+ miles (mostly country roads) and still going strong.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1356391075' post='1909980']
VW Sharan - 1.9TDi. Drummer with kit, me with flightcased 2x15 and amps etc + friend. 50 mpg easy. A Sharan is a phenomenal vehicle for gigging. The removable rear seats are the thing to go for.
[/quote]

YES! remarkable vehicles.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1356388104' post='1909950']
Skoda Octavia estate, bigger storage space than the Audi A4. An awful lot of quality car for not a lot of cash (relatively speaking).
[/quote]
I was at school in the 80s when Skoda had the joke reputation so never imagined owning one. Years of them topping polls in all the car surveys I finally bit the bullet and bought an Octavia Estate. Incredible. Bass playing was a key factor as I occasionally play upright bass. The only downside is I now do a LOT more driving for the band as we can get so much in there comfortably. If the name puts you off it's basically a cheap VW or Audi so just buy the posher equivalents! Personally I'd rather have the Skoda and keep the cash saved for other things :)

Thanks for all the help.

Just to narrow it down a bit - the reason I'd focused on Audi estates was because I'd ideally like a 4wd. Whilst I'd love a family, I've sacrificed all that to AVOID people carriers. And please -no small cars - my basses do fit in my current cars but I want to be able to just throw them in the back.

Thanks again folks.

CB

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1356386226' post='1909898']
- Audi A3 sportback

Thanks for any guidance.
CB
[/quote]You won't get the basses in the boot.

That said, with the seats up mine takes the BF Super12 plus a leads flight case, Pedaltrain Mini board & Gigskinz bag with the GB Streamliner in the boot, and a Mono double case with whatever I have chosen to take across the back seat, plus the case with a LED PAR bar.

It can get a bit cramped on the prog gig when I take more than two basses, and the bass pedals & a keyboard & stand, but it does all fit ........... just, and still leave room for MrsW in the front. It has also managed (on occasion) an extension cab for #2 guitarist, his leads case & a couple of his guitars as well :o

Not on your list, but the old Laguna Estate would just take the Wal case across the boot, but only right at the very back because of the wheel arches - not the best place for it to be in the event of a rear end shunt.

Edited by WalMan

Estate.

I've had a lot of cars over the last couple of years through work - A3, A4, A5, A6, Octavia, Superb, Fabia, 1 Series - and the biggest factor when it comes to transporting gear is how easy it is to get in and out of the boot. An estate with a flat loading boot is unbeatable IMO. When I have to buy my own car again that's what I'll be looking for.

The Skodas are unbeatable value for money IMO - they feel as good as the Audis but less than 2/3 the price, especially the Superb, great car.

If you have you heart set on an A4 estate then why not have a look at a SEAT Exeo - it's exactly the same car (they moved the old Audi production line down from Germany to Spain) but with newer spec engines, improved suspension and quite a lot cheaper. If you pick up one of the "Tech" spec ones it's even got a Bose audio system.

[quote name='Dubs' timestamp='1356394820' post='1910016']
Estate.

I've had a lot of cars over the last couple of years through work - A3, A4, A5, A6, Octavia, Superb, Fabia, 1 Series - and the biggest factor when it comes to transporting gear is how easy it is to get in and out of the boot. An estate with a flat loading boot is unbeatable IMO. When I have to buy my own car again that's what I'll be looking for.

The Skodas are unbeatable value for money IMO - they feel as good as the Audis but less than 2/3 the price, especially the Superb, great car.
[/quote]

There's a Superb near me, and it looks stunning.

The Exeo's not a bad call. The only likely difference will be in trim quality and branding.

[quote]You don't need an SUV or an estate to transport your gear. Quite frankly you could put your basses
in decent gig bags and put them in the back of the Mini. I get all of my stuff in my Hyundai Coupe
without dropping the back seats-bass on the seats,everything else in the boot. [/quote]

Exactly this, I used to take al manner of crap to gigs, now I find the more I do the less I take, I like to be out the door in two trips. All my gear, 2 basses in hard cases, hartke head, 2x12 cab, rucksack of cables and crap, mic stand and my share of lights fits in the back of my vw lupo with room to spare

I only take my CRV these days for my double bass

My Touran is simply fantastic with a choice of some seats too.

3 basses, head, 610 cab and bags not a problem. I found 4x4 vehicles to be a little bit style over substance. A touran wont get the lasses swooning but your gear will be safe and as the drive is exceptional youll be happy to gig.

Ive used both Audi and BMW estates and this one wins all.

Edited by Voodoosnake

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1356416209' post='1910054']
Exactly this, I used to take al manner of crap to gigs, now I find the more I do the less I take, I like to be out the door in two trips. All my gear, 2 basses in hard cases, hartke head, 2x12 cab, rucksack of cables and crap, mic stand and my share of lights fits in the back of my vw lupo with room to spare

I only take my CRV these days for my double bass
[/quote]

I know I can get my stuff into the cars I have - by putting stuff where there are meant to be people etc. But I want to avoid having to do this in order to make life easier.

The most preposterous gig transport I used was back in the late 80s in the shape of a very rare mid-engined Renault 5 Turbo2 in an even rarer metallic brown. These cars were provided with luggage straps over the carpeted rear engine bay and that's where my HH Bass Baby sat. It was only a 2 seater so my bass went into the passenger seat. I couldn't see out of either the passenger window (right hand side, since the car was lhd) or the rear window.

Can't be bothered with all that faffling no more.

CB

Mazda 6 sport estate for me. If I've got other people travelling with me I put the small section of the rear seat down so my basses go in longways but still leave 2 rear seats available. 4x10, rack, great gramma pad and bag in the boot. Great on fuel and the added bonus that the sport model has a fantastic Bose stereo. I had a friends 55 plate Range Rover Vogue for a month or so, and although its a very nice way to travel to gigs, that boot floor is a long way to lift heavy cabs. Others have mentioned the Sharan, our drummer has one and its huge inside!!

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1356393333' post='1910005']
Thanks for all the help.

Just to narrow it down a bit - the reason I'd focused on Audi estates was because I'd ideally like a 4wd.
[/quote]

I have an Avant A6 Quattro. There is no chance of fitting 3 normal-length bass hard cases in the boot, you will have to put part of the rear seat down.

Why 4WD? There's no way you'd want to take one of these off-road.

Add the Nissan X-Trail to your list (the post 08 cars have a bigger boot with the seats still upright). I can get all of my gear and some of the PA in the boot without dropping seats and 'if' you are unfortunate enough to get caught out in snow/mud etc. you have the selectable 4x4. 40mpg and nice to drive... what's not to like?

Maxda 6 Estate for me....I am used as the band taxi to the airport, 4 band members, bass in flight case, flightcased guitar x 2, flightcased keyboard, flightcased saxaphone, cymbal case, drum pedal case and luggage for 4 fits without difficulty.

The other chap always gets a taxi coz he lives miles away anyway.

I've got a Citroen C4 coupe, 3 door.

I can fit all my gear in it, but it's a bit of a PITA. The lip of the boot is quite high so getting my combo in and out is a struggle sometimes and being 3 door... The Focus we had was ok. For transporting gear though the Nissan Almera Tino we had was the best, I could fit everything in the boot, it just used so much petrol OPEC used to convine to decide on output after we'd filled up. :/

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1356429631' post='1910113']
I have an Avant A6 Quattro. There is no chance of fitting 3 normal-length bass hard cases in the boot, you will have to put part of the rear seat down.

Why 4WD? There's no way you'd want to take one of these off-road.
[/quote]

Reason for 4wd is that I'd be getting rid of a Jeep which has proved to be very useful in the snow. As well as SCotland, I use the car in Switzerland and Italy a fair bit.

CB

Edited by cloudburst