Why become a member? ×

Fender guitar...

TheGreek

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1356036486' post='1906159']
Eric Clapton.

Well he changed my world :)
[/quote]

In the guitar docu that preceded the Seville Guitar Legends in '91 (??) Clapton said that Chuck Berry was the first person to play a multi-stringed, as opposed to picking, guitar riff. Chuck in turn cites Bo Diddley; so I'd go with either of those two based on the influences either of them created.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1356036672' post='1906162']
Pink Floyd, more than any other for me I think B) using Fenders of course :D
[/quote]

Roger used a Rickenbacker RM1999 in the early days and Dave used a Les Paul in the late 70s and recorded one of, if not their most famous tune, Another Brick in the Wall Part 2

But yeah, its that sunburst precision from Live at Pompeii and the Strat with the Lace Sensors pickups from Delicate Sound Of Thunder that come to mind first

20th century music-wise, Stravinsky, The Beatles will forever spring to mind.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1356037858' post='1906182']
In a non musical way...Disney??
[/quote]

In a non-musical way... loads of people and things! British Industry and Empire, Roman Empire, Genghis Khan, American Revolution, French Revolution and so on!

Edited by risingson

In changing this popular music world (as opposed to classical) I would suggest, in no particular order:
[list]
[*]Laurens Hammond (fab organs)
[*]Jim Marshall (Big loud amps)
[*]Thomas Edison (records)
[*]James How (round wound bass strings)
[*]George Martin (playing about with recording techniques)
[*]Pete Townshend (loud, distortion and feedback pioneering with guitars)
[*]Adolph Hitler (development of magnetic tape)
[*]Ross Snyder (multi-track tape recording)
[/list]

OK, really going to stick my neck way out on the line here....... Oasis!!!!!!!!!

Now the reasoning; I think they almost single handedly broke down a generation gap in music and made it OK for a new generation to like old music. And I mean the general public, as on a music forum it is easy to forget that the wider public don't always view music the way we do.

Don's tin hat and flees the country for Christmas :lol:

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1356104058' post='1906931']
OK, really going to stick my neck way out on the line here....... Oasis!!!!!!!!!

Now the reasoning; I think they [b]almost single handedly broke down a generation gap[/b] in music and made it OK for a new generation to like old music. And I mean the general public, as on a music forum it is easy to forget that the wider public don't always view music the way we do.

Don's tin hat and flees the country for Christmas :lol:
[/quote]

Cough, cough

;) :P :lol:

As a Bass Player there's a few posts here that I have to disagree with - was/is an Ampeg SVT really a world changer?? How many members of the public would know what it is? Similarly with the 3 bassists above - I accept that it is much harder for a Bass Player to leave his mark but would Joe Public know who any of them were if you showed them photos??

As for the three bands named - Nirvana/ Pink Floyd/ Oasis - how many of them will be remembered in say 20 years time?? Ask your typical teenager who Pink Floyd are, they've no idea, even though PF made one of the best selling albums of all time...I would accept an argument for "Great bands" (excluding Oasis who I hate with a passion) but "world changing"??

When posting I wasn't just looking at Musical examples (hence Disney) - perhaps Neil Armstrong, Gagarin, Henry Ford or Mohammed Ali would be better examples..

Musically, it has to be Jimi Hendrix for me. The fact that all the guys we like to think of as the original guitar heroes in the '60's were queueing up to watch him play says all I need to know.

Outside music, blimey! Err... Well... if I stick to one person, I guess for me it would have to be Plato, because he continues to make very clever people think about who we are and why we're here 2400 years after his death. YMMV of course, as is your right.