Why become a member? ×

Can the X Factor judges hear what we hear on the TV?

leschirons

No gigs this weekend so I'm on the computer and Mrs L has the X Factor on. I've just heard some guy called Jarmaine (I think) on the competition. His pitching is so off at times and he does that weird "wobbly all over the place" thing at the end of each line. The guy is going from flat to sharp all the time yet.....

They're saying he's fantastic, sings with so much passion and a contender for winning?? Is "passion" a modern replacement term for out of f***ing tune?

I'm no Gary Barlowe fan but am prepared to admit that he is a musician / songwriter who's very successful and obviously Louie Walsh is a successful manager etc.

Can't they hear what I hear? Is it my ears? Is it my telly? Should I have bought Sony and not Toshiba?

[quote name='Killerfridge' timestamp='1354402286' post='1885693']
I think it's the case that it will always sound better live, and they probably can't hear the mistakes that appear obvious on TV.
[/quote]

A music judge that can't hear mistakes eh? Seems legit. :-P
But in seriousness, the show influences people into thinking this is what is good and what they should buy etc...targets the musically dumb.
That's my opinion.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1354407828' post='1885742']
is that really worth mentioning Doddy? :mellow:
[/quote]

Yes,because I'm basically saying that the performance on the night isn't a major factor. Decisions
have been made long ago.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1354408020' post='1885743']
Yes,because I'm basically saying that the performance on the night isn't a major factor. Decisions
have been made long ago.
[/quote]you've lost me too be honest dude. yes the musicians behind it may be great but i will not be persuaded to think that the X Factor is anything but awful.. its not music... and money is the last thing on my mind when it comes to music.... im with the joker

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1354414116' post='1885780']
you've lost me too be honest dude. yes the musicians behind it may be great but i will not be persuaded to think that the X Factor is anything but awful.. its not music... and money is the last thing on my mind when it comes to music.... im with the joker
[/quote]

I believe you have missed the point of doddy's statement. It looks to me like he is suggesting that possible winners are chosen well in advance, irrespective of their musical talent (or lack thereof), and so it isn't really a singing or music contest, but a way to get people to buy albums at x-mas.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Doddy :)

There is an extent to which not being in perfect pitch with whatever else can be expressive. Thing about expression is not everyone perceives it in the same way. Autotuning everything note perfect chucks the expression in a vocal out the window too. Someone can claim that being out of tune is part of their being expressive, if so, then maybe I don't like what they are expressing.

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1354414652' post='1885782']
I believe you have missed the point of doddy's statement. It looks to me like he is suggesting that possible winners are chosen well in advance, irrespective of their musical talent (or lack thereof), and so it isn't really a singing or music contest, but a way to get people to buy albums at x-mas.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Doddy :)
[/quote]

No need to correct you. That's basically what I'm saying. :)

I was made to watch this last night by by girlfriend, also last week's episode too. I had to leave the room a couple of times to avoid me spouting off about the lack of quality of essentially all of the acts and what they'd been made to dress up in, but that Jahmene guy really can't hold a note. Considering the show will have some of the best vocal coaches in the industry working for them, they could have at least done something about his catastrophic pitching, after all he's at least got a bit of a voice to work with.

No way is it decided before. You could never get away with that when the public are paying to vote. The S*** really hit the fan a few years ago when they figured that 'some' people voted and they weren't counted on some shows.

I don't watch the show, but I have seen Jahmene's first audition and I have to say that I loved it. Not sure what else he's done though.

We usually record it, so 1.5 hours becomes about 25 minutes of performance.
The best two this year (Marion and Ella) are long gone sadly.
It is very rare anything on it is my cup of tea, but having watched the formative performances of Leona Lewis and Rebecca Ferguson, it really does occasionally have something to offer.
The world may never have got the joy it gets from those two wonderful songstresses.
Just my opinion.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1354407495' post='1885741']
I think it's worth mentioning that I know people who have actually been invited to go on
both X Factor and Britain's Got Talent and are pretty much guaranteed to do pretty well
on them.
[/quote]

Spot on! They are not going to waste their time sifting through hundreds of no hopers. They know exactly who they are going to pick before the competition has even started. It is what used to be called a "fix". But millions seem to fall for this, shocking!