Why become a member? ×

Bass player by choice, or relegated guitarist?

Tuono

A friend of mine is a bass player in a remarkably good blues/rock band. He started out as a guitarist but as the guitarist in this band was better than most (including him) he was invited to play bass, which he has done now for years. I have heard the same story before; a not quite up to scratch guitarist being bunged at the back with four strings.
Did anyone on here start out that way or did everyone pick up the bass as number one option?

Please good bass playing people,do not be offended, whether you took up bass entirely of your own volition or were 'encouraged' it is no demotion or relegation and I never meant to infer that. For myself I am more than happy to be bunged at the back with four (five as it happens) strings and wouldn't know what to do with a guitar.

Edited by Tuono

I became a bass player on account of my wealthier friends buying guitars, amps and drums leaving me to exchange a tower hifi system for a tired, old, short scale Framus I found in a shop called The Trading Post in Shifnal, Shropshire. I had to convince my Mum to sign a hire purchase agreement for a new Ohm Pukka 60 Combo so that I could be heard. Curiously, I'm the only one still playing

Edited by MoJo

I started out on guitar back in 1986 and played and gigged in a band for about 3 years also recording in a studio for a demo, I also used a bass for the first time in the studio as our bass player left just before. I loved it and after meeting the guitarist of another band in a pub long after i should have gone home i agreed to play bass for him. I had to ring round to borrow an amp and a bass! I've never looked back but I still have the first guitar...a Kay strat £30 from Mentiplays in Kirkcaldy!!

By choice. I`d always been drawn to the bass in a song, even before I knew what the bass was - Seasons in The Sun by Terry Jacks I think (fairly certain) was the song that I first remember hearing "that sound" in, and from there on, bassist through and through, though would take a further 10 odd years til I could afford one/start playing.

Edit - started playing guitar a year after playing bass, but although only a year in it, I`d describe myself as a bassist who can play guitar, as I get the bass far more then guitar.

Edited by Lozz196

I have been a singer/frontman and a guitarist in previous bands, but I have never been happier playing Bass. Only been playing Bass for the last couple of years or so, but wish I had picked it up earlier. I have always been interested in the Bass guitar, and a couple of years ago I bought one, now I am a gigging bassist in a local band and loving it.

Jas

[quote name='voxpop' timestamp='1354196369' post='1883393']
Bass only for me. I can't and don't want to play guitar.
[/quote]

Ditto. Whenever I pick up a guitar (which is normally only to move it out of my way at a gig) I have no idea what to do with it. They are too small, cramped and with closely spaced cheese-wire running from nut to bridge.

I've never really played guitar. I've probably had one in my hands for about 20 hours at most, I've been playing bass for over 20 years.

I do own a cheap strat and an acoustic for recording demos and I know a lot of chords because of course it's convenient as a bass player to be able to recognise chords played on a guitar, but I really can't play guitar very well at all.

always thought it would be guitar tbh but never felt I had the musicality to play (which meant no inclinationto try). Roll forward 20 years when I decided I wanted to give something a go and it was straight to the bass and I love it.

Must be my sophisticated and pleasant demeanor. :lol:

Although I did briefly have a go of guitar when I was younger (and never stuck at it) I didn't do anything for years and then decided to take up bass. Was in danger of going the same way until my now wife gave me a hoof up the backside to get playing. That's been 5 years now :)

i've been bashing away for 25 years and reached the giddy heights of 'very average rhythm guitarist'.
i've also always loved monophonic synths and drum machines.
i was always listening to bass lines in funk/soul music and didn't care too much for guitar, [i]especially[/i] guitar solos which i generally cannot stand!
moving over to bass about a year ago has been brilliant.

'Relegated' is a central element in the question. Clearly some play guitar and bass (as well as a whole variety of other instruments) and some elect to play just bass. I was just interested because I had come accross the situation a couple of times where a band had figuratively 'taken' the guitar off someone and said 'here,play this'.I have to say that for me it is no demotion; I wouldn't know what to do with a guitar and I'm much too addicted to thunder.

Bass player, first and foremost. Always. I have a nice Tele and Orange guitar amp, but I always pick up bass over guitar.

I prefer the way it fits with the drums.

One of my old band mates said to me: 'If I wasn't a drummer, I'd play bass, because its close to the drums, and its cooler'.

I agreed 100%. It is a dead cool instrument, unless you play a headless.

Both, really. I was rhythm, singer played bass and we had an incredible lead guitarist in my school band. Singer wanted to sing only, didn't take much encouragement for me to play his (totally dreadful) Avon EB0 bass. Dropped using pick a few years later.

Rarely play guitar now, see the guitar as a related but completely different instrument. Never looked back. I love the role of the bass player and playing bass and feel fully a bass citizen.