Why become a member? ×

Starting-A-Band Blog/Diary

Truckstop

Well, I threatened to start a blog charting the progress of a new project since leaving my old band last month. A suitable amount of stuff has happened since, here's a little rundown of things that have happened so far with some notes and stuff (FYI, I'm setting up a function band):

3rd November 2012:
Decide to leave band for many reasons; main one being lack of professionalism and drive from other band members. Vent on Basschat, decided to form my own band!

4th November 2012:
Put ads out on Gumtree, Bandmix and Lemonrock. Baulk at the fees for Bandmix, decide Gumtree and Lemonrock should suffice instead. Look into expanding PA rig on a budget mainly to impress potential bandmates, but also need gear ASAP to learn how it all works!

6th November:
Many responses to ads. 7 drummers, 4 guitarists, 3 lady singers....no keyboardists!! All respondees sound ideal, arrange auditions for 19th November. Most cant do that date, I tell them where to go. I think nearly two weeks advance notice is plenty and none seem to have a good excuse. Only 3 drummers and 1 guitarist available for the 19th, decide to place more ads specifying audition date!

8th November:
More responses, 19th november full up now, 4 drummers and 4 guitarists coming. No keyboardists still...beginning to think I've imagined them and they don't exist. Decided to audition singers at a later date when I actually have a band together. Start thinking about songs for the band to do; can't get Footloose medley out of my head, decide to try again tomorrow.

9th November:
Auditionees all arranged, roped in a singer friend of mine to sing for the evening. I lie and tell her ill buy her a drink in payment. Wrote down 30 songs, scribbled out half and tried again. Headway made on PA front, sourced some decent subs and tops. I'll convert the tops into monitors when I make some money and can afford some decent fullrange PA speakers. Order lots of leads, stands and other assorted stuff.

14th November:
Stuff all arrived. Now have a full working 1.5k PA rig. More songs written down and finally decided on the band name; it's awesome, so not gonna put it here in case it gets stolen :(

19th November:
Audition night!
Everyone turns up and I have a jolly good night. Standard of auditionees excellent, I told them all I'd ring the same evening, but very hard decision to make so call around the next day.

20th November:
Now have the skeleton of a working functions band. I've recruited James (early 20's, great attitude, great feel if a little inexperienced) on drums and Simon (early 30's, lovely smooth style) on guitars. They seem on board with what I'm trying to achieve and seem to be happy to let me get on with it. A strange feeling, I'm now responsible for these guys! Arrange rehearsal dates for December and January.

21st November:
Send the guys 20 songs to work on. They are accepted without question, that's a good sign! Get in touch with singers to arrange auditions; unsuccessful. Singers turn out to be a bit flakey, looks like it'll need to be two separate evenings, no matter; it'll be good practice.

26th November:
Write blog detailing happenings so far; goes well. Eats crumpet with jam.

I'll update as things go on!

Cheers

Alex

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1353933718' post='1879819']
Tell me more about this 'crumpet with jam'[/quote]

Was it just me that heard a filthy Sid James, "crumpet" Carry On type laugh there?

Best of luck with the band & the blog. Personally I wouldn't put anything that could be seen as a put-down to anyone I might end up working with, on anything on-line - unless of course you won't ever need one of the "flakey" singers. But that's just an IMHO - the rest is quite fascinating.

Yeh - we were recently looking for a female singer and flaky would be a good word. I blame x-factor. All we got were these maniacs who thought they were one step away from international stardom. "No love, we just want to play in pubs on a Saturday night".

Luckily we got the lovely Fiona, so all sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

Today:

Auditioned two singers instead of four as two of them decided not to come down; I didn't call them, I'm my interested in excuses!
Now have a dilemma, both singers (one is 18 with no real experience and the other is 24 with bags of experience and contacts) are awesome.
Great lookers, fun and bubbly, both local, both prepared to work hard, both like the plan I have laid out.
Asked James and Simon (drummer and guitarist respectively) for their opinions and they were very unhelpful in that they couldn't offer me a reason to hire one over the other! Gonna sleep on it.
On other news, my mic stands have all broken. My fault for buying sh*tty cheap ones. Will get some Hercules ones wen I've got some money together. Also expanded my PA with a gate; should help with the snare.
Made inroads into gigging last week by ringing up some old friends, got a few pencilled in for march and April; pubs, not amazing money bit should be good for getting used to each other in a live setting.
Worked through 10 songs today, decided to drop 4 and 6 came out really well. Looks like it's gonna be tough finding songs suitable for a fourpiece band.

Update next week!!

Alex

Edited by Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1355091003' post='1893981']
Now have a dilemma, both singers (one is 18 with no real experience and the other is 24 with bags of experience and contacts) are awesome.
Great lookers, fun and bubbly, both local, both prepared to work hard, both like the plan I have laid out.
[/quote]

Hire both of them. It'll drive all the old men crazy and the girls can have fun working out harmony parts and little dance-moves and stuff with tambourines and sh*t. And if one goes over the side, you've got a spare who knows the set.

Besides, function bands always have two singers. It's the law.

[color=#FFFFFF].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1355091587' post='1893997']
I agree, but I dont want to pay two singers!! But on the other hand, a higher quality band will get more work.
[/quote]

Or...get them both to learn the set,so that you've got a solid dep.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1355091003' post='1893981']
[/quote]
I know I'm a newb to the forums but isn't the answer pretty simple when you analyse what's really important? You know the strengths of each, and even your band members were struggling to choose one over the other. The answer I believe is staring you in the face. Just choose the one with the biggest breasts? :)

Edited by simpleman

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1355091456' post='1893994']
harmony parts and little dance-moves and stuff with tambourines and sh*t. [color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

Take notice of what Skank says, it'll be much better with two

Edited by spike

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1355161025' post='1894840']
Well I got in touch with both of them and offered them both the job!

Looks like we'll have to see how it all pans out!! Have first full line-up rehearsal this Friday evening. Well looking forward to it!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

[/quote]

I was trying to think of some bands which featured 2 female vocalists, as that could be a starting point for some interesting stuff : Abba obviously, Rumours era Fleetwood Mac, Heart, The Corrs (kind of), errrr ......... Any more? Probably loads, and I'll kick myself for forgetting.

Edited by The Admiral

I'm thinking more of girl band kind of stuff; Girls Aloud, Spice Girls, Pussycat Dolls etc. Beyonce, Katy Perry and such like also becomes possible due to having female backing vocals.

What is nice, is the older one has a really mature Etta James-esque voice so we can do all the lovely old Motown-y soul stuff justice and the younger is certainly influenced by newer pop singers; she's got a really clean, straight style. None of the acrobatics that I've come to expect from other amateur vocalists so we can get the pop tunes down pat.

There's certainly lots to think about!!

Truckstop

That, and the support they can give each other on every level. Worth gold, imho.

You may just have made a very, very good decision there.

Yeah, do some Spice Girls songs. Berated as they may be, that first album contained some great writing. Notes, that is. I'm lyricsdeaf.

best,
bert

Hmm, call me a pessimist, but I have a bad feeling about the '2 female singers' thing. Two possibilities spring to mind:[list=1]
[*]They learn to harmonise together, become best buddies, get fed up with splitting the money so many ways, and leave the band to go and work as a duo with backing tracks.
[*]They become ultra-competitive, argue over who sings what, start to hate one another, and get involved in an on-stage cat-fight at a wedding gig, which ends with them knocking over the 7-tier wedding cake and rolling around on the floor of the marquee.
[/list]
Might never happen of course....