Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - Voting Time!

charic

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1354144140' post='1882827']Heh! Quite a bit of development and artistry in Electronic Dance Music, but I don't want to make a big deal out of it... ;)[/quote]

Oh f***sticks! I'd just written a long - and what I'd thought intelligent! - post about songs, instrumentals and the often misunderstood world of proper electronic music (not friday night meat market sh1te) and my damn computer just wiped it before I could hit send. So I'll summarise:

I agree with Discreet. My background is in electronic music and there's a world of stuff out there that people don't get to hear. Much of it massively more imaginative and pioneering than the vast majority of traditional guitar-based bands. But that's a big ol' can of worms right there... best close the lid and move on.

Do people connect more with songs than instrumentals? Maybe. Songs are probably more memorable and I'd wager the majority of people prefer something with lyrics over something without. My own personal top ten (which changes daily) would list probably more instrumentals than songs - but that's a reflection of my misspent youth in clubs and raves during the 90s. Halycon days :)

It's funny, 'cos I normally make the sort of music that most people here would hate! I've had very little feedback on basschat to my electronic stuff, apart from the likes of 51m0n, Shep and co who always chip in with comments on the production (always greatly appreciated!). So I've taken these challenges as an opportunity to go way off piste - for me anyway - and have a stab at songwriting. I'm genuinely surprised by the support I've been getting so far - and to be honest I'm going to stick with the vocal tracks for the time being as I'm having a lot of fun making them, learning new stuff and seemingly picking up some new friends along the way.

Anyway... this has turned into a long post when all I wanted to do was pop in and say "nice one" to everyone who voted today and got the total back up.

Right, I'm outta here. Night all.

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354145916' post='1882860']
I am taking the p.ss no offence meant, you seem like a really cool guy with some really nice values and i respect that. This is why i hate getting into conversations in text they are always taken out of context. :(
[/quote]
Cool :)

I've never come across a Spiritual Healer before, what's involved mate?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354146167' post='1882863']

[/quote]
I thought all that spiritual healing was a load of bollocks. I had a problem with my shoulders, the girl i was seeing at the time was into it and took me to see her spiritual healer and she sorted it out. Spooky!

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1354146317' post='1882866']
I thought all that spiritual healing was a load of bollocks. I had a problem with my shoulders, the girl i was seeing at the time was into it and took me to see her spiritual healer and she sorted it out. Spooky!
[/quote]
Must be a sekshall ting :lol:

[/quote]

Same happened to me. I knew a woman who was a spiritual healer & she offered to have a go at my right knee when I mentioned I'd had problems with it for years & nothing had helped.
A couple of minutes of her working on my knee (she never even made actual contact with it) & it's been fine ever since (this was in 1993).

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354146167' post='1882863']

[/quote]

Big big answer mate to complicated to get in to on here but heres a simple version, everything is energy at some level and in my view everything has potential for change, a healer (hate the term because healing sometimes helps people die peacefully and isnt always about cures or positive change), is normally a person with a natural ability to connect to levels of energy that the average person doesnt percieve or is aware of that help bring a persons subtle energy into a balanced state and this in turn allows health to return. The problem nowadays is healing or healing ability can be bought on the shelf from the new age supermarket, everyone you meet is a Reiki master nowadays, i think you are born with a natural ability and you will end up using it if you choose to do so, i taught martial arts for 22yrs and was a total skeptic and now heal full time. Not through looking to do it but through where life led me, Life is sometimes very strange :D

There is masses of double blind scientific test results to support it but it gets ignored by mainstream science. I get results, i cant guarantee results but i get a very high sucess rate on many things doctors have said cant be changed. Have also worked with the a doctor of the record and he backs my work to this day.

[/quote]

I thought it was all a load of bollocks mate too and its now my life! What i would say is though is its not SPOOKY, its just natural and not understood, its only spooky because we have been programmed by society to think it is.

Edited by Stephen Houghton

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354147039' post='1882877']
Big big answer mate to complicated to get in to on here but heres a simple version, everything is energy at some level and in my view everything has potential for change, a healer (hate the term because healing sometimes helps people die peacefully and isnt always about cures or positive change), is normally a person with a natural ability to connect to levels of energy that the average person doesnt percieve or is aware of that help bring a persons subtle energy into a balanced state and this in turn allows health to return. The problem nowadays is healing or healing ability can be bought on the shelf from the new age supermarket, everyone you meet is a Reiki master nowadays, i think you are born with a natural ability and you will end up using it if you choose to do so, i taught martial arts for 22yrs and was a total skeptic and now heal full time. Not through looking to do it but through where life led me, Life is sometimes very strange :D
[/quote]

Thank you, very interesting! You are one of those rare people who has natural ability, recognised it, and used it.

Funny innit, my Sensei had to give up teaching martial arts a few years ago because he developed a very bad back, now he shifts heavy computer equipment about for a living and still has a bad back.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354148576' post='1882897']
Thank you, very interesting! You are one of those rare people who has natural ability, recognised it, and used it.

Funny innit, my Sensei had to give up teaching martial arts a few years ago because he developed a very bad back, now he shifts heavy computer equipment about for a living and still has a bad back.
[/quote]

I taught traditional karate and kick boxing, had a bike smash and ended up as a result doing what i do now, with a damaged spine as a result of smash, i was a bike freak as well, Its kinda like the energy you can use to break things can be used to fix things. Everything is in a state of infinite potential and the choice is ours to choose that potential on some level, this applies to illness as well.

I will send you a link to my web page privately and you can check it out you may find it interesting.

Anyway deffo going now,night!

off topic slightly, but does anyone else think that the painted face in the second picture looks like Benny from Crossroads (actor Paul Henry) :)

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1024&bih=677&tbm=isch&tbnid=eF8XeQCdI89NdM:&imgrefurl=http://www.chronoglide.com/WWWS_MiniPages/MPPaulHenry.html&docid=JQSaV5yvdBBW7M&imgurl=http://www.chronoglide.com/WWWS_MiniPages/images/PaulHenry_Pic1.jpg&w=450&h=442&ei=pDm3UPT5C9TD0AHsiICwDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=488&vpy=137&dur=682&hovh=222&hovw=227&tx=137&ty=136&sig=101392249341243984574&page=1&tbnh=137&tbnw=134&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:91"]http://www.google.co...29,r:3,s:0,i:91[/url]

some seriously great work here guys - really impressed with Nige's effort and Walman's too - amazing stuff peeps - I've voted but not telling who, oh alright then it was Lowdown - Garry I really admire your studio skillz geezer - some great sounds and ideas on that track.... WELL DONE all to the exceptional effort and enthusiasm you've all mustered for this - hopefully I'll have time to enter the next one - I look forward to seeing the pic (I think).

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1354140798' post='1882758']
Close arsenic, I like to think its about development. Of your creative skills, your ability to interpret an abstract subject, work to a timeframe, take and give criticism and a wholebload more. Basically developing as a composer.

For example it seems entries with vocals are doing doing particularly well. Now how are people who cant sing going to get by this? I dont know about you but Im eager to find out :)
[/quote]

Oh! I quite agree about the overall intention of the competition - I was just pointing what the fun element is, for me personally.

Vocals, as you say, seem to be a big selling point at the moment. I never had a particularly good voice (read: bloody awful), but since I had surgery a few years ago (through the throat) I wouldn't stand a chance in a croaking competition. (now looking for frog smiley)

Right, here's my effort at a final push for votes. I'm traveling for most of tonight and away till late tomorrow, so I've just put out a call for 'last orders' on [url="https://twitter.com/skol303"]Twitter[/url] and the [url="http://soundcloud.com/groups/basschat/discussion"]BC SoundCloud[/url] page. Very nearly 100 votes in which is bloomin' great.

See y'all on the other side...! :blink:

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354149963' post='1882905']

I will send you a link to my web page privately and you can check it out you may find it interesting.

Anyway deffo going now,night!
[/quote]

I'm very interested in hearing more about this too. Would you be able to send your link over to me too? I remember building a website for a spiritual healer in the early 2000's and the guy came across as extremely genuine and also slightly puzzled himself as to how it worked.

[quote name='Elvis Valentine' timestamp='1354207806' post='1883661']
So when does this whole thing finish?
finally. once and for all. lol
[/quote]

Sorry you can't finish the competition until I have a vote :D

Although I'm looking good for the booby prize!

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1354208423' post='1883669']
Sorry you can't finish the competition until I have a vote :D

Although I'm looking good for the booby prize!
[/quote]

lmfao.
Dude its a sin. Your track is really good. I mean they all are but no votes is silly.
I want to say best of luck but i dont want it to sound like im taking the pi55 :) .

[quote name='Elvis Valentine' timestamp='1354207806' post='1883661']So when does this whole thing finish?finally. once and for all. lol[/quote]

This is just the first round. Next comes the traditional clog fighting, following by a staring contest and then a game of strip poker to finish off...

But in all seriousness it's Friday at midnight.

Edited by Skol303