Why become a member? ×

Suggest me something to play

goblin

In the process of preparing for my second year performance at uni which is in a couple of weeks. Last year I took it easy and played Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick, and Sir Duke and did really well with them. Want to up my game a bit this year, I've already got Sledgehammer down. Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Cheers :)

Not that is consider it to be less off a bass line at all but the first two tunes you mentioned are far more challenging a play through than Sledgehammer IMO!

Think outside the box, every year someone will play Sir Duke or Master Blaster for their performance module, your lecturers will appreciate a break with something a bit left field. Tried any Anthony Jackson parts?

not really a classic by any means, but a good driving baseline- look around by RHCP. some of their new stuff is immense. or you could go for a real classic, like californication, but that might bore people to sleep, because it's quite slow and sparse. Do you have a band during your performance, or is it just solo?

EDIT- also just noticed you have a wal bass... maybe something BSSM era?

Or yeno.... there are a couple of other bands out there too. never listenened to any of them personally.

Edited by MiltyG565

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1353525926' post='1875690']
Not that is consider it to be less off a bass line at all but the first two tunes you mentioned are far more challenging a play through than Sledgehammer IMO!

Think outside the box, every year someone will play Sir Duke or Master Blaster for their performance module, your lecturers will appreciate a break with something a bit left field. Tried any Anthony Jackson parts?
[/quote]

:lol: yeah I noticed there were some 2nd / 3rd years playing it whilst I was in first playing it, kinda set the bar really :P With regards to Sledgehammer, it depends how you look at it, as you've got to get the right feel and sound as well - not as easy as some would have you believe. Anyone can play the notes, but it's how you play them that also matters.

I've checked with Fred (Baker) and he's said that Sledgehammer would be more than adequate, I might just go fetch the Grade 8 Rockschool book from the library and do a bit of sightreading. Choose it on the day :lol:

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1353531216' post='1875789']
cocky bstad
[/quote]
Is it just me who doesn't think that 'Rhythm Stick' is the pinnacle of bass playing?

Why not try some kind of solo piece? Maybe a standard arranged for solo bass? Or a Bach Cello
suite?

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1353533370' post='1875831']

Is it just me who doesn't think that 'Rhythm Stick' is the pinnacle of bass playing?

Why not try some kind of solo piece? Maybe a standard arranged for solo bass? Or a Bach Cello
suite?
[/quote]

I don't think it's the pinnacle , just haven't heard many say playing it well is taking it easy

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1353530061' post='1875760']
:lol: yeah I noticed there were some 2nd / 3rd years playing it whilst I was in first playing it, kinda set the bar really :P With regards to Sledgehammer, it depends how you look at it, as you've got to get the right feel and sound as well - not as easy as some would have you believe. Anyone can play the notes, but it's how you play them that also matters.
[/quote]

I suppose what I meant was that if you thought the Ian Jury tune and the Stevie stuff was easy in terms of 'feel', then Sledgehammer is going to be a piece of piss, as great a bass line as Tony Levin played. Not saying don't play it, but maybe get out of your comfort zone, play something that you'll feel at the end has truly upped your game as opposed to something that you're mildly to very comfortable with.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1353578591' post='1876170']
For feel and groove, how about "Good Times" by Chic...
[/quote]

Really? I was worried about playing that last year as I thought it was too easy :o That, or I've been playing it for so long I've stopped noticing haha.

Definitely some erm interesting suggestions here :lol:

Having done the whole bass/pop music degree myself recently I can say that it's best to avoid soloing or using loopers and stuff. A complex part, an involved technique and a an innate understanding of playing for the song will get you through.

Assuming you're playing to examiners who know your playing you really need to show that you've worked on something new or outside your comfort zone.

Personally, anything prog fits. Something by Chris Squire/Yes?