Why become a member? ×

Playing with ashtrays on......

LemonCello

I bought the (missing) neck pup tray for my Jazz and I must say it looks the part, so I took it to rehearsal last night with both ashtrays on. Have to say, it wasn't [i]that[/i] difficult to play (I almost never use a pick) resting my thumb on the top rear edge of the neck tray and playing 'in the gap' as it were. The minute I tried to play with a floating thumb though I found it difficult to get it back to where it was?

Whilst not too tricky with both trays on it did feel slightly restrictive. Just wondered whether anyone else plays with them on?

Apols if this has been done before.

LC

I have one Precision with both ashtrays in place and, as you say, floating thumb can be a bit challenging.

On t'other hand, I'm perfectly happy with a thumbrest and the pickup tray does a very fine job in that regard. It also makes a great palm rest for when I want to use the tugbar and play with my thumb.

It helps that I still have the foam mutes in place on that bass. Otherwise I'd probably get too much unwanted "ringing".

I've fallen head over heels for them. Have them on two basses, one being my main 4 string, and have two more on the way. Would love to have one on my Precision, but after having one on an old bass found that I can't palm mute comfortably - the P cover being that bit wider than the J version. Absolutely love them and love playing with the floating thumb. Also love that it makes me clean up my left hand technique to stop unwanted strings/notes ringing.

I like the neck pickup one on my Jazz Basses-I've got them on my main 4 string Jazz and my Marcus
signature and don't have any problems with them. I'm not really a fan of the bridge cover though,
especially on the Jazz..I find them a little too big.They look pretty cool on a Precision though.

I never really considered them until I bought a '57 RI precision with both front and back ashtrays. To me, it looks so lovely I don't want to take them off.
Unless I'm playing fretless I tend to avoid playing open strings so any damping I do can be via the fretboard hand.

You obviously like a challenge. I feel they are a example of 'Style over function'. I bought a set for my Jazz because they looked pretty. Then I realised that they seriously compromised the way I played and off they came. They're in a draw gathering dust now.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1353357163' post='1874236']
You obviously like a challenge. I feel they are a example of 'Style over function'. I bought a set for my Jazz because they looked pretty. Then I realised that they seriously compromised the way I played and off they came. They're in a draw gathering dust now.
[/quote]
I don't find them challenging...at least not the front one alone. The only compromise I can find is there are
3 or 4 false harmonics that I can't reach because the cover is over the node point. Not really a big deal
though.

Don't like them on Jazz basses, look pretty cool over the neck only but they really restrict me. I think they look incredible on P-Basses but once again, they totally restrict me, I move around too much from song to song for it to even be worth considering keeping trays on. I'd leave the bridge on only at the P if I didn't palm mute so much.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1353360857' post='1874296']
What are pickup covers actually for?
[/quote]

What? You don't know? Ha! I already knew this when I was a young boy! It was told us kids specifically that they're so you can't reach the pickups with your fingers and get electrocuted to your horrible and untimely death.

True story. We believed it of course. Boys 'n' all that.

best,
bert

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1353360857' post='1874296']
What are pickup covers actually for?
[/quote]

Apparently back in the 60's they though it cancelled hum or something... also the original bridge covers used to include foam mute pads to damp the sound. For some reason they never include the pads anymore though, or even the other ones that screw into the body.

Personally it depends on the bass, my main Jazz (see dp) has a pickup cover because it looks the business, but I'd never use a bridge on a jazz without the mute as they're massive. Had a Jamerson style P once that had both covers, looked and sounded boss.

Easy answer from me. It's a certainty that they restrict playing ability. If you have , I dunno - maybe a foot and change of right hand plucking area and you take 5 or 6 inches of that away - you're left with much less playing area. No brainer really. Not opinion - fact.

Factor in mid gig string change. Maybe not a huge concern for most - but.... With the bridge ashtray on a Fender you can't put a new string on without removing it. In fact you can't even get the old one off.

Mine got tossed years ago - and rightly so.

One of my clients plays a P bass and a Jazz and doesn't cover the bridges with an ashtray. He plays quite aggresively. This is what happened during a recent gig;

[url="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.28712004583.39479.657669583&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=10151099044329584&set=a.28712004583.39479.657669583&type=3&theater"]http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.28712004583.39479.657669583&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=10151099044329584&set=a.28712004583.39479.657669583&type=3&theater[/url]

Yes, that is blood!!!!

On my custom made Rothers Punk bass I have the ashtray bridge cover on. I think it just improves the aesthetics.

I have them on my old Squier. They actually look quiet good with the sunburst and tort guard.
However, I dont play it in my covers band, I use it my cabaret band playing fingerstyle over the 2oth fret to get an old fashioned bassey thump.

Hi There,
Tried putting one on my Squier Jazz. I like the look, and it doesn't get in the way of my kind of playing. I tried it out first by sticking the cover on with a bit of double-sided carpet tape, before drilling the new holes though

A few minutes extra faff if re-stringing, but I can live with that. I can imagine that a cover on the neck pup might get in the way though.

Mick