Why become a member? ×

My gig with Mark Knopfler... now with video!

wateroftyne

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1375135352' post='2157233']
Followed this thread from the beginning, what an amazing thing to have done :) . But I have to ask, did you drop any bollox at all ?
[/quote]

Nope - somehow I got away with it!

Even when I was reading from my cobbled-together cheat sheet (see earlier post) it was one of those gigs where the planets aligned. The four solid days of rehearsal paid off, I think. The incredible on-stage sound helped, too.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1375169319' post='2157380']
That Joe McElderry laddy can't half belt out a tune. Great voice.
[/quote]

Can't he? I've done a couple of things with him now, and he's been fantastic every time. He deserves to do well.

• 11 months later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1405598217' post='2503418']
*THE THREAD FROM THE DEAD*

Happy days...

I've just found out I'm playing with Mr. Knopfler again, at a gig to celebrate the millionth entrant into the Great North Run in September. This time it's going to be live on BBC2.

Yay :)
[/quote]

woohoo! should be able to catch you on iplayer too then...sweeeeeeet :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1405610015' post='2503632']
Does this mean you're Mr Knopfler's go-to bassist? How cool is that?!!
[/quote]

If Glenn Worf ever throws the towel in, I imagine I'll be as high as 9357th in line to replace him. But, if it happens again for a third time I might get cocky. Ha ha.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405610402' post='2503641']
Great, let us know when it's on!
Are you going to be using the Limelight Jazz?? :)
[/quote]

Well, the reason it caught my eye in the first place was because it looks like John Illsley's, so it would be rude not to. :-)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1405615687' post='2503712']
Well, the reason it caught my eye in the first place was because it looks like John Illsley's, so it would be rude not to. :-)
[/quote]

Excellent. Mark will be very pleased, I'm sure. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've just stumbled on this thread and read it through.. What a truly amazing opportunity - or even two opportunities you've had! Well done!! It's got me inspired to push my dep work harder to try and develop some opportunities. Nothing of this league though, thats just stuff of dreams! ;-)

Ah, I thought I'd posted this already, but apparently not.

There's been a change of plan for the September show, and he's bringing his UK-based band up instead.

I'm gutted, but given the lack of a rehearsal and soundcheck I totally understand. Hopefully I'll have another opportunity further down the line.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1407606648' post='2522311']
Ah, I thought I'd posted this already, but apparently not. There's been a change of plan for the September show, and he's bringing his UK-based band up instead.
I'm gutted, but given the lack of a rehearsal and soundcheck I totally understand. Hopefully I'll have another opportunity further down the line.
[/quote]

Well... that's a bummer. :( Keep calm and carry on, I suppose.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1407606648' post='2522311']
Ah, I thought I'd posted this already, but apparently not.

There's been a change of plan for the September show, and he's bringing his UK-based band up instead.

[/quote]A fine attitude displayed there in spite of how much it must sting.