Why become a member? ×

Playing root octave.

Marvin

Generally index and little fingers because it's less of a strain on the hand especially in the lower
positions.
At the top of the neck I sometimes play index/ring or middle/little if it's brief,but for the most part I
still use index/little.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1352145288' post='1859402']
I always thought I was wimping out by using index and little. I can stretch to use my ring finger, but it's not particularly comfortable and doesn't always sound good tbh.
[/quote]

One-finger-per-fret is more of a guideline than a rule... I go with whatever's comfortable for whatever position I'm in.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]One-finger-per-fret kind of goes out the window below about 5th position. I seem to recall an article by Jeff Berlin where he recommended backing up your pinky with your 3rd finger in the lower positions - the pinky makes the note, but most of the hard work of holding the string down is done by the 3rd. [/font][/color]

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1352145288' post='1859402']
I always thought I was wimping out by using index and little. I can stretch to use my ring finger, but it's not particularly comfortable and doesn't always sound good tbh.
[/quote]

It is not a case of "macho versus wimp". You are playing music, so play in way
that is both comfortable and is not going to cause injury.

Took me a while to get that you were talking about the fretting hand :-D

Anyway, I'm a bit of a stickler for one finger per fret, and I find that with practice, index and ring is both comfortable and articulate.

If playing the Phrygian or locrian modes, the second/ninth octave would be played with middle/pinky respectively.

Edited by Roland Rock