Why become a member? ×

URGENT : Deposit money for venue

charic

Hi all,

A venue we are booking is asking for a deposit against damages. Originally this was a returnable cheque but none of the bank have a chequebook. It has since been mentioned that we could give them some bank details in case anything does happen.

Any other suggestions? If I do share bank details what details are safe to share?

Thanks in advance!

Well I certainly wouldn't leave any of my bank details with them! I'd be worried that they'd get into the wrong hands. At least with a cheque it's for a set amount of money!

Dont any of your parents have a chequebook?

Come to think of it, why do they need a deposit off you? Arent they insured?

Truckstop

I've never heard of a venue asking for this. Sounds dodgy to me on a couple of counts

a) is this just pay to play in disguise (you won't get your deposit back?)
B) what kind of venue is this or who they think you are to expect things to get damaged???

If it were me.. I'd avoid and move on. But that's just me.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1351892319' post='1856761']
Well I certainly wouldn't leave any of my bank details with them! I'd be worried that they'd get into the wrong hands. At least with a cheque it's for a set amount of money!
[/quote]

If you give someone a cheque then you're also giving them all your bank details.

Giving someone your bank details is usually to allow them to pay money IN. They can't take money out unless such a transaction has been authorised, e.g. a direct debit.

But that's just a detail really. I tend to agree with the other comments that it does seem strange to require a 'damage deposit'.

More context is needed, what sort of venue are you booking, are you organising the event for yourselves or is a promoter / venue owner asking? My other half books large village halls (not music, in fact most unlikely audience to do damage lol), sometimes until they know us they require 'damage deposit'. Sadly I have damaged a village hall once :( ran heavy table corner into plaster above door, they were very understanding however.

It's a rugby club that we have booked the hall from to use for a gig (reasonable price, good size). It was on the standard forms so I suspect its all above board. I think its to insure that we don't encourage punters to wreck the place. It's probably more things like broken Windows etc..

I'm not too concerned about there legitimacy, more how we can do this safely. We heard about this at other venues too.

We had this in the UK when booking village halls for our own gigs. It was normal to lodge a deposit as they were normally run by some Parish council. However, we did lose our deposit (£100) on one occaision as they said someone had set off a fire extinguisher.

We didn't know about this until we tried to reclaim our deposit and by then, we couldn't prove it was the truth or not.

If you do end up paying, you need to make sure that you are the last to leave, along with someone from the hall or club who will verify you left it as you found it.

Handing over bank details does not entitle anyone to remove money from the account unless authorised by the account holder so I think it's just so they have some official ID and some form of contact in case there is a problem.

Sounds ok and above board. Next questions to ask, how many others have lost their deposit? can you find out, as in does venue play fair? The big one, what are your punters like? I remember getting very close to being thrown out of University after 'bad' rag ball gig. Something to do with band's singer making provocative remarks resulting in several fights, fire extinguisher discharges and main hall stage curtains being trashed. I was only playing bass at the time.

Our punters are generally an alright lot, plus we've got some of our own mates who are working security for us (they do this for a living too), as well as the possibility of some of the rugby lads pitching in too :)

I think you're right about it just being an official form of ID but what details can I hand over "safely"?

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1351893267' post='1856776']...ran heavy table corner into plaster above door...[/quote]

You've said too much to not tell the whole tale. Heavy tables were being thrown about..? Spiritism..? A very low door, as in Alice in Wonderland..? Intrigued; please share... :)

How about if I fill in something like this?

With the added proviso that this is to act as a written agreement only and not actually as permission to withdraw the money also that the form is to be returned straight after the event?

[attachment=122644:Bank Details.png]

Or should I just attempt to draw up some kind of contract as to what constitutes a return?

Something like,

[i]I [Name],[/i]

[i]Agree to pay upto a maximum of £350 in the case of undue damages caused by attendants at the event held at [venue] between the hours 20:00 and 00:00 on the 30/12/2012, if the responsible party can not be held responsible. The sum paid shall be directly related to the cost of any damage caused and shall not exceed this. No payment will be made without a receipt for repairs of the damage in question.[/i]

Kinda get stuck there though...

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1351896045' post='1856816']
Have you got a printer? Pop to hobbycraft & get some beige 200g paper & print a cheque.

What about a P.O? fair enough it costs a few £ more, but if it's gonna get you the gig...
[/quote]

This is the closest you'll get immediately, A cheque is just a promise to pay same as a bank note. If you put all of the details on a note & signed & witnessed (if need be) it's valid.- convincing them of that is another thing.
I know someone who many years ago paid an outstanding poll tax bill written with a cheque on a pair of knickers. It was accepted - begrudgingly.

edit; alternatively, since I presume you don't need it tonight - the postal order idea is good since if it's not needed you'd be able to cash it back in yourself, or you can go to one of the band's banks that does Sat. opening tomorrow and get a banker's draft (last I heard they charge about £12 for one though) - or at a push - in the distant past when I worked in a bank we had "mini-cheque-books" holding just 5 cheques which the bank stamped up with your details while you waited - this [i]may[/i] not still apply since they're trying to do away with cheques though.

Edited by Big_Stu

Your idea of a contract worded as you have is ideal.

If both parties sign it, then you have a legally binding contract.

Deposits are standard when you hire a hall these days. I have hired our local village hall a couple of times.
Someone suggested that before you hand over the keys, get them to check with you that no damage has been done.
I would do this plus get them to sign a release stating all was well.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1351939158' post='1857041']
If you're hiring the venue, then I'd expect something like this to be a factored cost.
I'd get them a dated cheque but if you don't trust them, don't book it....
[/quote]

I trust them but none of us have chequebooks :lol: perfectly reasonable etc. I've asked to meet to Exchange details and discuss terms.

Thanks guys

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1351898825' post='1856852']
You've said too much to not tell the whole tale. Heavy tables were being thrown about..? Spiritism..? A very low door, as in Alice in Wonderland..? Intrigued; please share... :)
[/quote]

Nothing so exciting, sadly. The table concerned was made with 8 x 4 x 18mm ply sheet. Heavy, very heavy, in fact $*7^ heavy. Yours truly misjudges door entrance whilst struggling with said &6%$ table and makes large dent in plaster above the door. The gig with tables being hurled about by rogue spirits who randomly change door aperture size sounds much more fun. A sort of Witches of Chiswick gig that Robert Rankin would write :D

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1351892033' post='1856757']
If I do share bank details what details are safe to share?
[/quote]

Well, a cheque contains your name, your bank name, sort code and account number, so those details must be pretty safe to share because millions are doing it all the time.

No one can legitimately withdraw money with just that information.