Why become a member? ×

Useful clamp : £2.99 at Aldi

The Admiral

+1 for Aldi - they have bargain Chinese power tools in there sometimes too. I've bought a drill press, router table and bandsaw from them, quality isn't brilliant but they're more than good enough for hobby or occasional use. Keep an eye on the Thursday and Sunday specials - yesterday they had an arc welder for £40!

[url="http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_27223.htm"]http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_27223.htm[/url]

Edited by ChrisB

I bought the one from Maplins a number of years back and the weld joints between the clips and the arms failed after 6 months of intermittent use. Complete waste of ten quid. I'd reconsider for three though. Just shows what kind of margin Maplins had.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1351243750' post='1849085'] Picked this up yesterday : £2.99 at Aldi Just the thing for holding pots, sockets and pickups for soldering. Not the worlds finest piece of engineering, but for £3.00 - very useful. [/quote]

Just went out and got one. Definitely worth £2.99. Let's just hope the bottle of vino tinto I picked up for £3.99 is equally serviceable. :unsure:

[quote name='hollywoodrox' timestamp='1351364232' post='1850611']
Lidl had a similar thing in last week but with a bigger magnifier with the plastic surround, it was prob about £6 but I think it had a light too, they always have cool stuff, the chocolate santa's are quite nice too
[/quote]

The Chocolate Santas - good band name that.

Lidl's Parkside power tools are made in a couple of the sites that are also subcontractors who build Bosch gear I'm told (don't quote me on that tho as I have no proof) and many of their power tools are good. I'm a cabinet maker and amongst all my makita kit is a Parkside air nailer and it's bloody brilliant. Bought it over a year ago as a temp stop gap replacement and it's been so reliable. Never jammed once and buries even long brads very well.