Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Basses with neck pickups

thisnameistaken

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1350991704' post='1845886']

[b]And my Squier VM TB has one of the hotest pups and best necks I've ever had my hands on![/b]

[b][/b]
[/quote]

I like the look of the Squier, is it a heavy or lightweight bass and does the bridge cause problems in setting the intonation?

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1350994151' post='1845930']
I like the look of the Squier, is it a heavy or lightweight bass and does the bridge cause problems in setting the intonation?
[/quote]

Very light bass, surprisingly, looks like it should be a fatboy!.... by far & away the lighest of my bunch.

No probs with intonation from open to octave 12 fret on all the strings, I understand why you would ask, sharing saddles.

Good low action and the only bass where I haven't had to dress the nut down as I like it real low.

Beware, the OE Fender TB pup is so hot I have to wind down the amp's gain when plugging her in, frightening if I forget after coming from another bass, even an active....and this is after I have lowered the pup! These TB's seem real popular over the pond in the US, I have read that some fit a darkstar for more highs, for me the OE pup is all I'd ever need.

This is a real keeper, lovely looking thing, bit different & stonking value too.

Edited by iconic

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1350996015' post='1845964']
Very light bass, surprisingly, looks like it should be a fatboy!.... by far & away the lighest of my bunch.
[/quote]

Thanks, it sounds like my kinda thing and I need a lightweight bass.
There aren't many around now it's an older model and they seem to go for about £280 on line.
Some stores describe it as a Precision and others a Telecaster, which is a bit confusing and Fender call it a Precision, so I guess that's what it is?
[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/vintage-modified-precision-bass-tb"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/vintage-modified-precision-bass-tb[/url]
I presume it has a chunky Precision neck and I wonder how it compares to the new Fender modern player telecaster.

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1351020617' post='1846357']
The biggest and baddest of neck 'buckers.....

Ovation Magnum
[/quote]

Greg, you have the best taste in basses of anyone I know. I am moving to Wales in two weeks and will be regularly driving past Swansea, you've been warned. That Magnum has been on my 'watch list' for a long time :rolleyes:

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1351021082' post='1846366']
Greg, you have the best taste in basses of anyone I know. I am moving to Wales in two weeks and will be regularly driving past Swansea, you've been warned. That Magnum has been on my 'watch list' for a long time :rolleyes:
[/quote]

That he does, I couldn't find a Magnum in decent condition after 6 months of hunting :( . What a tone B)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1351021082' post='1846366']

[/quote]

Hehe, swap for the DB??? hope you bought those waterproofs Chris.....

Forgot the Travis Bean

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1350993800' post='1845923']
I'd forgotten about that Godin, I like the look of those.
[/quote]

I've played the PJ configuration ones and thought they were very nice. Stupidly good value for a Canadian built bass. Store price is between £750 & £850 for the 2 pickup version.

The 5 string ones will be in the country soon as well :)