Why become a member? ×

Backdrops and banners

lurksalot

I am looking to provide a backropdrop or banner for the band, nothing fancy or flash (due to costs) but not overly cheap and nasty either , but cheap and cheerful might work !!

My thoughts were centred around some white artwork printed onto black lightweight cloth that could be threaded on a telescopic rod like a fishing pole . this could be hung from, or over, lots of stuff on the back of a pub wall .
with a size of about 8 x 5 ft will that work? any thoughts from the collective?

Thanks in advance

I am sure that is value for money but I would have thought a backdrop would go the other way round , by the time we have the backline you would not see half of that unless it is on a high box behind the drummer and then could be limited by a ceiling height.
I like the lightness and ease of use though, but could possibly do with a bit more size and a little less 'cleverness?'
thanks for the link Stu

Ours cost about £40 and is made from a black cotton sheet with iron on printer paper from staples. I just printed the letters, cut them out and ironed them on. My wife tidied up the sheet edges by stitching a hem all round. The top hem is a big loop so we can either run a pole thu it, pin it up or gaff tape it to the wall behind. Since this pic was taken we splashed out another £5 to have our website address ironed on. Works a treat as now any pics taken of us in pubs don't havre dart boards, lamps, brass tack, specials menu etc in the background
[attachment=121743:IMG_3523.JPG]

Point taken; though I know they (or companies like them anyway) do orientation either way. I did think that 8 x 5 ft was a bit small, usually one's I've seen before are like mrtcat's kind of thing, but I remember seeing one roughly 8 x 4-ish hanging off a third lighting gantry behind the drummer.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1350839392' post='1844086']
What would you say was too steep?
[url="http://www.rollerbannerstands.com/banner-stands/Barracuda.html"]http://www.rollerban.../Barracuda.html[/url] ?
[/quote]

IMO not really robust enough for anything but the most polite of gigs. I've had clients who have managed to completely destroy these simply putting them up and taking them down at a handful exhibitions...

Not sure some cloth is robust enough but that decision aside...
you need to understand where you can use it and how often ..and this means
you need to know the stage area and confif.

Ours is about 8x 2 feet.. no idea why it came in this measurement but it works ....
At some places, it is inadequate.... but at others we just can't use it...hence the more important
decision is in the use of, IMO...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1350848983' post='1844292']
IMO not really robust enough for anything but the most polite of gigs. I've had clients who have managed to completely destroy these simply putting them up and taking them down at a handful exhibitions...
[/quote]

Ouch! - I've a few clients been using the same banner(s) for a number of years; they might have a tier system of manufacture like a lot of things.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1350853024' post='1844373']
Ouch! - I've a few clients been using the same banner(s) for a number of years; they might have a tier system of manufacture like a lot of things.
[/quote]
Maybe a tier system of roadies might be the issue here , but breaking down in the early hours with any 'helpers' having had a few jars, will test them

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1350848020' post='1844271']
Ours cost about £40 and is made from a black cotton sheet with iron on printer paper from staples. I just printed the letters, cut them out and ironed them on. My wife tidied up the sheet edges by stitching a hem all round. The top hem is a big loop so we can either run a pole thu it, pin it up or gaff tape it to the wall behind. Since this pic was taken we splashed out another £5 to have our website address ironed on. Works a treat as now any pics taken of us in pubs don't havre dart boards, lamps, brass tack, specials menu etc in the background
[/quote]
this is brilliant , it obviously works a charm and a route worth pursuing .cheers.

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1350851380' post='1844343']
Banners are frequently a pain when it comes to finding somewhere to secure them - many happy hours balanced on top of speaker cabs and drum stools...
[/quote]
Microphone stands are your friend! -

My lads band have a banner about 8 x 2 and a couple of boom mic stands adjusted to max height are just right. - and the pole through the top sits nicely in the mic clips.

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1350858701' post='1844474']
Microphone stands are your friend! -

My lads band have a banner about 8 x 2 and a couple of boom mic stands adjusted to max height are just right. - and the pole through the top sits nicely in the mic clips.
[/quote]

Quality , great idea

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1350862407' post='1844521']
Try to find fireproof cloth, if you can. Should have a certificate attesting to it's worthiness for public area use. Some venues could be a bit wary of non-certified stuff.
Hope this helps...
[/quote]

I will will ask at Tranters market stall for an appropriatte rating certificate , but I may keep a bit schtum to the venues though , I shall store it with all the PAT certificates for our kit ;)

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1350848020' post='1844271']
[/quote]

Nice professional result, with little outlay, nice one

We tried having a large banner for a while - it looked good at a couple of outdoor festival-type things we did but was hopelessly OTT for pub gigs.

We now have two small banners, one 4 x 3 (the main one) which mounts on a lighting pole and is relatively easily squeezed between the pub piano and the door to the Ladies (or whatever) and the other 3 x 2 which mounts on the front of the Roland e-drums when we use them.

If you're playing "proper" venues with stages and stuff then 8 x 5 can work, but for pubs you'll waste half your set-up time trying to sort out the bloody banner instead!

Securing tips?

[url="http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_256931_langId_-1_categoryId_255230"]http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_256931_langId_-1_categoryId_255230[/url]

[url="http://www.toolbank.com/135/p/STA084113"]http://www.toolbank.com/135/p/STA084113[/url]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1350907097' post='1844833']
I hope we're talking metres rather than feet for these sizes otherwise they seem a bit on the small side. The last time I was in a band with backdrops we had two approximately 3m x 2m and needed both of them at all but the smallest pub venues.
[/quote]

Stonehenge moment......

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1350907097' post='1844833']
I hope we're talking metres rather than feet for these sizes otherwise they seem a bit on the small side. The last time I was in a band with backdrops we had two approximately 3m x 2m and needed both of them at all but the smallest pub venues.
[/quote]

Actually I find that the 2 x 8 feet banner works really well. At that size, and in a typical pub/small club type venue, the top can be just below ceiling height, and the bottom is well clear of the drummers head. - so it doesn't get in the way on a small stage- and it rolls up to about the size of a small sleeping bag. Anything much deeper and it starts to get lost behind the back line and band members (ooer missus!).

All IMHO of course.