Why become a member? ×

My Top Ten Most Played Songs by Pub & Function 'Covers' Bands.

thebrig

Don't know whether this has been done before, but here are the songs I hear most when I go and see a live 'covers' band.

Admittedly, they [u]were[/u], and still [u]are[/u] great songs, but do WE still want to keep playing them, and perhaps more importantly, do the PUNTERS still want to keep hearing them?

It would be interesting to see what songs you guys/gals come up with, and to hear your thoughts on playing the same old songs over and over again.

1. Mustang Sally
2. Brown Sugar
3. All Right Now
4. Born To Be Wild
5. Black Night
6. Sex On Fire
7. Brown Eyed Girl
8. Honky Tonk Woman
9. Maggie May
10. Can't Get Enough

Edited by thebrig

Start playing [i][b]Mustang Sally [/b][/i]and then count the number of punters who wince or groan or walk off the dancefloor. It won't take long to spot that no one does. At 11pm in a crowded pub, doesn't matter what your opinion is, you can't go wrong by playing [i][b]Mustang Sally[/b][/i]. Again.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1350643673' post='1841594']
Start playing [i][b]Mustang Sally [/b][/i]and then count the number of punters who wince or groan or walk off the dancefloor. It won't take long to spot that no one does. At 11pm in a crowded pub, doesn't matter what your opinion is, you can't go wrong by playing [i][b]Mustang Sally[/b][/i]. Again.
[/quote]
I know, I know! :dash1:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1350643512' post='1841588']
Don't know whether this has been done before, but here are the songs I hear most when I go and see a live 'covers' band.

Admittedly, they [u]were[/u], and still [u]are[/u] great songs, but do WE still want to keep playing them, and perhaps more importantly, do the PUNTERS still want to keep hearing them?

It would be interesting to see what songs you guys/gals come up with, and to hear your thoughts on playing the same old songs over and over again.

1. Mustang Sally
2. Brown Sugar
3. All Right Now
4. Born To Be Wild
5. Black Night
6. Sex On Fire
7. Brown Eyed Girl
8. Honky Tonk Woman
9. Maggie May
10. Can't Get Enough
[/quote]

That is a function set.... a pub band wouldn't do very well with a set like that around here

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1350643673' post='1841594']
[/quote]

You guys manage to fill the dancefloor without having to add Mustang Sally to your setlist, though! :D B) :sun_bespectacled: :i-m_so_happy:

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1350646641' post='1841672']
+ the 1.
[/quote]
+2
I would say the set list you put up there would be more an "older" rockers setlist.
The current way I'm seeing is

1.Valerie
2. Dakota
3. Sex on fire
4. All right now
5. Run to you
6. Livin on a prayer
7. Sweet child o mine
8 Dont stop me now
9 . Billy Jean (badly)
10 summer of 69

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1350644473' post='1841615']
That is a function set.... a pub band wouldn't do very well with a set like that around here
[/quote]

I beg to differ, at least with pubs in & around London. We play (or have at some time routinely played) [i]Mustang Sally, Brown Sugar[/i], and [i]Honky Tonk Women [/i]at our normal pub gigs. All are very well received by most audiences, and pretty good singalongs.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1350649116' post='1841719']
ha ha ... that seems like an older set to me as well

Not a great lot of thought in that...to be different from a 1001 other bands doing the same circuit...
[/quote] started an 80s function band. Only one other good band doing the same in east Anglian. Except we have female and male box whilst they are just male.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1350649986' post='1841748']
started an 80s function band. Only one other good band doing the same in east Anglian. Except we have female and male box whilst they are just male.
[/quote]

was going to say that most of those songs are 20 years old ..at least.

I do find the set choices quite fascinating...why peoplepick what they play, on what criteria and what do they expect out of it.

My general take is... if people want me to play what they want/expect, up the rate..
Doing a gig for £50 in a pub and they get what I want :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1350650608' post='1841760']
My general take is... if people want me to play what they want/expect, up the rate..
Doing a gig for £50 in a pub and they get what I want :lol:
[/quote]

You've just identified the difference between a Pub band and a Function Band..
Pub band - Play what you like for £50
Function Band - Play what the punters want for more.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1350650870' post='1841766']
You've just identified the difference between a Pub band and a Function Band..
Pub band - Play what you like for £50
Function Band - Play what the punters want for more.
[/quote]

Not really.... we tell functions what we will do and they can see our set list which we will play for 2 hrs max.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1350650608' post='1841760']
I do find the set choices quite fascinating...why peoplepick what they play, on what criteria and what do they expect out of it.
[/quote]
We got hold of the Top 30 charts in a number of different Genres, ( Soul-Motown-Pop etc. etc.) as voted for by working DJ's at DJ Online and picked our set-lists from there.
One of the agencies we work for suggested this route and provided all the info. And Mustang Sally and Brown Eyed Girl etc. are on there.