Why become a member? ×

Not another pick v fingers thread!

Greggo

I imagine this topic has been done to death, but in the real world outside of n00b comments on youtube does anyone actually give a monkeys about whether a bassist on stage uses a pick or fingers?

Coming from guitar, when I first picked up bass over 10 years ago I used to be exclusively pick because I hadn't learned fingers. I played in a number of bands and whilst I was never commended for my playing (as I imagine most players aren't on bass in typical bands - nature of the beast) but no one ever said anything about not playing with fingers.

I did learn fingerstyle and in my new band I am now exclusively fingers with the odd pick dabble here and there. Even though I feel I could probably excel in my playing by using a pick more, I still have this thought in my head that although pick playing can sound awesome, that fingers just looks better on the stage.

So I'm wondering, does anybody actually care? After all who notices the bassist anyway? ;)

For me it just depends on the type of music and what kind of sound you want to get. I am a fingerstyle player but I sometimes wish I am able to play with a pick as it would give a nice edge to some of the songs we have in my band.

I wouldn't worry about how it looks either if you feel your playing can go further with pick playing and that's what you enjoy more than go for it. I would personally try and get equally as good with fingers and pick which would probably take your playing even further :).

Depending on the type of gigs you do, it probably doesn't, but to me it's the same as the slapping debate. Some songs need a pick to sound authentic, whereas some need fingerstyle or slapping. Horses for courses in my book and I think most gigging bassist can switch between to suit. For the record, I love digging in with a pick on my p bass as much as I like rolling off the tone and thumping out some fingerstyle Motown vibes.

I suppose its better to use all techniques where applicable. There are a few songs we do where bass would probably be better picked because they are more dirty upbeat rock sounding, but some which need a fatter finger sound. Im learning one finger style at the moment a la tim commerford and i find this produces meaty results with a more pulsing tone.

Thumbs up to all of the above, versatility is the key if your band has a diverse range of songs, most tones can at least be partially replicated via amp settings and the way you attack the strings (high treble and gain played at the neck gave entwhistle a sharp aggressive tone with no plectrum on sight) I regret not learning to use a pick but its got to the point where I don't consider it "my voice" if you are in a covers band it probibaly pays to switch things up.

Use both - sometimes depends on the pace of the song, sometimes depends on the needs of the song. Using fingers lets me control the dynamics much more though.

Main thing is it's good to have the option to use both as needed

Funnily enough when "noodling" at home, it seems to be mostly fingers.

Edited by Fuzzbass2000

If you play driving 8ths, then it pretty much must be pick, otherwise fingers covers the other bases better.
That is withiout getting into how many other digits you then employ.

To duplicate driving 8ths... which is a typical rock sound and requirement, you might do better to play with a double stroke single
finger to get that tight consistant metronome this...??

Depends on the limit of your imagination and desire, IMO.

Use which ever technique gives you the right sound and feel. Neither is better than the other. To be able to use both makes you a better musician, but ultimately it doesn't matter provided that the end result sounds right.

For me it's all able the feel, some things feel right when played with a pick and some right when played with fingers. Live in a band context for me the difference in sound is so minimal that I'll used which ever one is easiest. In the studio I'll use both and decide at mixing which fits best into the song. Sometimes it's one part pick and other parts fingers.

I have no problem getting just as much in the way of dynamics out of a pick as I do with fingers, and driving 8ths (or 16ths) can be just as effective finger style. As I said its all about the feel.

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1350623573' post='1841312']Coming from guitar, when I first picked up bass over 10 years ago I used to be exclusively pick because I hadn't learned fingers. I played in a number of bands and whilst I was never commended for my playing (as I imagine most players aren't on bass in typical bands - nature of the beast) but no one ever said anything about not playing with fingers.

I did learn fingerstyle and in my new band I am now exclusively fingers with the odd pick dabble here and there. Even though I feel I could probably excel in my playing by using a pick more, I still have this thought in my head that although pick playing can sound awesome, that fingers just looks better on the stage.

So I'm wondering, does anybody actually care? After all who notices the bassist anyway? ;)
[/quote]
My route into bass playing was identical to this.

Most of the audience won't hear or understand the difference (even assuming they can tell which is the bass guitar :rolleyes: ), but in terms of the satisfaction of getting a sound that makes you feel good, I try to match my playing style to the idiom/band/whatever. And this approach gives a much-overlooked variation: [quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1350626924' post='1841330']
For a lot of rock & pop songs it probably doesn't matter, you can roll the top off so the pick isn't so clanky if needs be.
[/quote]

My old band did a song where I used pick (one of very few) as it didn't sound right with fingers. It needed that clanky punk edge to it.
Some songs I just couldn't play as well with a pick as I could with fingers, such as alternating octaves & arpeggiated chords or even trying to tap a run without dropping the pick.
I think double thumbing is a good technique for driving basslines. I'm still practicing it, but not yet good enough to use it live.

Pick or fingers doesn't matter; it's how you make them sound that matters.

I hate pick payers that clank. If that's your sound then OK, but to me it's just nasty.

Tex Comer, ex Ace bass player, plays locally on a P bass and has always played with a pick. He sounds great because he makes it sound like Duck Dunn with more definition.

Just do your thing!

I don't really care if other people notice or not, but I notice & if something sounds better with a pick, I'll use a pick, we played some blink 182 stuff last week which just doesn't sound right with fingers. Although anything really fast or stuff with octaves, arpeggios or lots of string skipping has to be played with fingers regardless to sound, my pick playing isn't good enough to play that stuff.

I've had a handful of people praising me for being able to pick quite fast with my fingers, and getting an aggressive attack sound with them. Often the same people have said that they 'only' play with a pick. So I guess pick playing is still seen as less challenging.

I usually tell them I can't play with a pick to save my life :lol:

Edited by chrismuzz

I always use a pick for everything. I can't use my fingers properly, I get terribly lost. Plus, because I never use my fingers I find I start to get blisters about halfway through anything, so I have to pull the pick from behind the scratchplate anyway. A lot of my favourite tones seem to be picked, too - Chris Squire, McCartney, Mike Mills, even Serge Gainsbourg's 1960's bands.

But ultimately I agree with everyone else - it's horses for courses in the end, and the only people that care are other bassists anyway.

In essence, ignore this post.

some idiots have idiotic prejudices. I don't think any half-intelligent person will care what you're using as long as it sounds good.

As far as looking cool, it depends what you're playing. If it's thrash metal then the bent-wrist-bass-up-by-tits look isn't going to work. If you're playing funk then wailing your arm around thrashing the strings with your pic isn't going to look very cool.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1350642330' post='1841566']
some idiots have idiotic prejudices. I don't think any half-intelligent person will care what you're using as long as it sounds good.

As far as looking cool, it depends what you're playing. If it's thrash metal then the bent-wrist-bass-up-by-tits look isn't going to work. If you're playing funk then wailing your arm around thrashing the strings with your pic isn't going to look very cool.
[/quote]

Regardless of genre, when would either of those postures look cool? :yarr:

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1350639568' post='1841508']
Although anything really fast or stuff with octaves, arpeggios or lots of string skipping has to be played with fingers regardless to sound, my pick playing isn't good enough to play that stuff.
[/quote]

And I find all that stuff generally much easier to play with a pick. It's all down to what you are used to and feel.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1350623573' post='1841312']
So I'm wondering, does anybody actually care?
[/quote]

I'd be amazed if anyone really does care, just as I'd be amazed if anyone really cares about what type of bass, strings, amp, cabs and cables are used.

I can understand having a favourite bass tone, but surely people don't dismiss music on the basis of picks/fingers/strings/amps/cabs etc?

I feel a video coming on :lol:

For me 90% of the time it's a pick, just because that's what I am most comfortable & fluent with, but for the country gigs/deps I am leaning towards fingers for most.

But really as ever it's whatever suits the job at hand (and for me I can manage with my knackered right hand)

Edited by WalMan

The people who notice most are your band members IMHO . Wouldn't think the crowd would, except for the odd beard twitcher.)

Personally , I do. both , which is always handy.
It means that if I were to join another band, I'd be able to adapt to the preferences to my band mates quickly.

Pretty much all of my favourite players when I started played either fingerstyle or slap,so naturally that's what
I gravitated towards.Even now,I can name maybe a dozen players who I really like who are pick
players compared to tons of who predominantly aren't.
I can comfortably play with a pick-I did it all the time when I played in a Foo Fighters tribute band a
while ago and I've done a couple of shows (specifically The Full Monty) that has a number of tunes
that specify pick with palm mute. It's not a problem,but I've literally never practiced using a pick.

Thanks for replies. Ill be honest I'm probably my own worst enemy. I was in a rock/metal band and I used to do pick only until I started learning fingerstyle, then I did a gig playing same songs nearly all fingerstyle and I could tell that the sound wasnt right but I wanted to look better (8 or 9 years back). I did used to have this notion that finger playing was more professional. This notion quickly got deadened though a few years ago when i saw a band called everything everything live. I was convinced his lines were finger but he played with a pick - that guy lays down some lovely lines and it got me wondering whether it was so wrong after all!