Why become a member? ×

First Experience with Rickenbackers

fezzza

I was just having a general look about the forum, and stumbled across the "notice to all owners of Rickenbacker copies" forum, and had a good read of it, worked myself up a little reading all the posts about how strict they are with copies, as someone who could never scrape together 1500 easily as i'm barely making enough to pay the bills, it annoyed me a little that Rickenbacker seem to be a bit of an exclusive club ( obviously you could say this about any high end bass, WAL, Fodera, etc )

I get the impression with Rickenbacker you're paying for the shape and the name on the headstock. nevertheless I found myself curious and went into a guitar shop this evening just before work to try out one. I'm ashamed to say it's the nicest bass I've ever played, it played so easily, the neck width was ideal, the sound, the look, just everything. Better than a lot of high end Fenders, Musicman basses, etc

I find myself at a bit of a dilemma, I love the bass, but I kinda disagree with the ethic, I just feel Rickenbacker try to market themselves as an elitist club, and then there's all this copy business.... Just wondering what everyone's opinions on the matter are

I own 3 Ric basses (below) and a 12-string Ric guitar. I certainly DON'T consider myself an elitist in any way, or to be a member of some exclusive and cosy club. I bought them years ago, well before the price doubled. They are very nice basses, but the current cost of them would make me think many times before ever buying one. If you have bad GAS for one, save. While you save, try other basses - you never know what will be the one to get you to buy. It may not be the Ric, but if it is, excellent - enjoy.

Are they worth what they currently cost? I am not sure. A lot of basses have gone up in price and those at the cheaper end are getting better and better. Ric don't really market themselves as elitist that I've seen, but I agree that some people do perceive them as such. That's an illusion. They are just tools - pieces of wood with strings on, same as a Fender or Gibson. Also, their quality control recently has been a debacle (see the topics re Musicians Friend's infamous Ric sale in the USA). So many faulty basses, so little time.... They were actually accused of shipping a whole batch of seconds quality basses to MF. Ric aren't supposed to make seconds quality basses!

What sets a Ric apart from other basses is "the unique Ric sound", but only if you can dial it in. If you don't set an amp up properly to get a lot of mid out of it, you may as well buy a Precision. The best bass I ever played in my life for getting a Ric sound with no difficulty is a Burns Bison reissue. Go figure!

Ive fallen foul of their QC with another bass i owned... 'twas a brand new 4003 which was the most amazing easy neck id ever played on... Then the paint started coming away at the bridge! Had to go back to the shop, very disappointing as i still havent played one with a neck as good, and that includes the two currently sitting in my house,

I dont see it is an elite club either really, if they feel and sound right to you then you owe it to yourself to get one :)

The best advice i could give would be to try a few out. Just like any brand there are some right old dogs out there, but you might just stumble across something amazing. The second bit of advice i would give would be to buy a second hand one from BC as they tend to keep their value quite well, so you wont lose out financially id you decide its actually not for you.

Of course if the one you played in the shop is brand new, and its *The One* then... Well... You know what to do ;)

Edited by Stag

I wasn't Specically calling ric owners elitists, just I feel that the way JH goes on, I get that kinda impression, sorry if It came across as me having a rant.

But by a country mile they are the best looking, sounding, and easy to play basses ever, I'd probably be after one second hand if anything, times are tough

Very jealous of your collection by the way, and of the fireglo especially

Edited by fezzza

That's life mate, whatever your into be it basses, cars or fishing, there are always brands out of most peoples current price range

Not sure how old you are or where you are in life, but I'm sure one day you will be able to get enough together for a ric, buy 2nd hand and you'll be able to get your cash back if needed

In the meantime there are plenty of decent basses for a 5th of the price you state

Rickenbacker are a business at the end of the day

Edited by lojo

I have one (a 4001 from '73) and yes: they are too expensive for what they are (especially when you know that [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEuqgZzKxC4"]virtually all woodwork nowadays is done by a CNC mill[/url]. They just have to align dowels, glue it together and slap some hardware on it). On the other hand, the same applies for Fender & Gibson in terms of pricing. I also owned a nice copy from the seventies (if I recall correctly it was a Aria). It was neckthrough, toasterpickup,... Only it had a maple fretboard. Did some AB testing, and it sounded exactly the same as "the real thing from the USA" in EVERY aspect. The playability was even better (but that's personal ofcourse).

Rickenbacker is so picky about copies because in the USA, you have to ACTIVELY protect the copyrights you own. Fender lacked to do so, that's the reason why there are so many other builders who have Fender-models in their catalog. Rickenbacker also chooses to keep the demand high by refusing to beef up production. And they'll get away with that. It's a businessmodel that is questionable, but totally legit.

Edited by MrFingers

[i]hi iv just bought a rick 4003 and got to say it plays really well but iv always played fenders and just love em but a few weeks ago i bought a musicman and got to say how suprised i was at how good they are so all i can say is before you buy a rick try a musicman ,saying that i still love my precision but its horses for corses .Good luck to you all whatever you buy.[/i]

[b]Forgot to say a special thank you to lefty for telling me about a ricky on gumtree ,i bought it and the guy gave me the bill of sale for over £1400 and told me he only played it 3 times and i believe him because its that good so thanks lefty i owe you one mate.[/b]

Last time I was out at the Ric plant, they weren't CNCing anything. Still making them the old fashioned way, which is why it takes them so darn long. Also, they have so many back orders that they are good financially for a while. Of course, add the (lack) of supply and the (excess) of demand, and you get the price for a nearly handbuilt, made in the USA iconic bass.

The truth is that nothing sounds like a Ric, and while you can come close to emulating it, you just can't do it exactly.

My 1969 4001 rarely sees anything out of the studio anymore. Because I can't replace it.

Whilst I did think it was the best, most playable bass ever, i've got to say I haven't tried much out of the £500 bracket, being the proud owner of a MIM fender and a sterling ray 34, I'm not too sure if a made in usa fender or a proper musicman would fare up against it, mind you I'm still very drawn to them, mabye the look, mabye the unique sound, It'd take a long while to get the money together as I tend to only end up with about 100 a week in pocket through work after expenses paid, etc, so I'll probably have to put this dream on hold for a little while

There's a barely played jetglo 4003 on eBay at the moment for £1300. Still a lot of money in grand scheme of things but still well below new price in UK. IIRC I got mine in early 2000's using money left to me by an aunt when she passed away, probably one of the reasons I don't want to sell it.

12stringbassist and I must be two of only a handful of UK bassists who own a 2002 Ric 4003 BlueBoy. They didn't make many of these at all and very few made it to the UK [they were a limited edition apparently "not for sale in the USA" and mainly marketed in Japan]. I loved my Ric but I very rarely use it these days - I haven't gigged it in over six years - I'll probably just hold on to it until about 2025 and hope that it'll contribute towards my pension (I'm already 52, sadly).

Elitist? I wouldn't say so but they ARE a bit special.

Here's mine...

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img237/5518/img0104editedresize.jpg[/IMG]

I waited 11 years to get one there was just something about, the body shape & headstock and that shine on the fretboard. And my Girlfriend bought me a secondhand 1992 4003 back in 1998 from a local guitar shop, where we used to live for £650 I love it. It is 20 years old now and still plays great, even though the paintwork is a little worn in places. But as much as I love them I doubt that I would buy a new one I could not justify it, not now that they cost almost 3 times what mine cost. They are iconic & I think that is part of the allure of wanting/owning one.

Edited by luckman67

I`ve only ever played one Ric. I bought an amp, and the guy in the shop let me use a fairly low-end bass. I suppose, once he saw I could play, went and got a Ric and said, use that. No idea which model it was, but it was great, really liked it.

I've never really been here nor there on Rickenbacker basses. They sound great through a cranked amp for playing rock, but then most things do. They looks do nothing for me. The thing that really bothers me is the way the company conducts business now. I respect their right to protect their trademark but they go about it in a fairly ugly fashion.

I have also played Ric copies that would blow a proper Ric into the weeds, so I'll be unlikely to shell out top whack for one any time soon.

being a Metalhead that plays stoner type stuff, I have a ridiculous hankering for a Rick!!!!!!!!!

I've only played one and found the neck a bit fat and the body a bit sharp, not like my beautiful ergonomic [s]girlfriend[/s] Geddy Fender Jazz :gas:

I still want one though. Al from Om/Sleep (google ;) ) makes Rick's look like that cadbury's flake being eaten by that woman in that bath.

I reckon I could go a grand on one and if I cant live with it, move it on at no significant loss... but do I wanna blow a grand when I have a ton of other things I could spend on?

only live once though, and why should everyone else have all the toys? I'm 39, I work, I was austere before austerity measures. Gimme toys!!!

You should buy something because you like it, no other reason.

FWIW I love Ric ergonomics and don't tend to get on with Fender so well. Each to their own.

One thing I don't understand is that people go on about how much they cost. IME you can pick them up for a similar price to a Stingray Classic and a custom shop Fender will cost you a fair bit more. Oh, and a new one will cost a fair bit less than either of my '72s. ;)

Edited by 4000