Why become a member? ×

Bassist magazine (I wish it was still going)

daz

The debate about the UK's only current bass guitar magazine (and Bass Player from the USA) and its various plus or minus points, has long raged on this forum. In this debate came up the name of [i]Bassist magazine[/i]. An old sadly now defunct UK bass magazine, which I had never heard of. So i took it upon myself to get hold of a few copies and was blown away by the quality and number of interesting things to read and study in that magazine. As i dont have a scanner anymore ~I will have to put the contents page up here for all to see. This is from the September 1998 issue (£2.95)

[u]Faces[/u]
JahWobble -Interview
Girls girls girls - Article on female bass players with profiles
Steve Harris from Iron MaIden - Interview

[u]Gear[/u]
Godin BG IV
Mesa Boogie wedge combo
J -Retro 01 active - passive preamp
Korg AX300B multi fx pedal

[u]Features[/u]
Elvis Costello - Everyday I write the book (bruce thomas) including notation/tabs
Death Metal article
begining bass - regular section
My bass is.... regular section
Classic bass - Vox phantom IV
Workshop -How to change a pick-up

[u]Techniques[/u]
Reading made easy (including The Temptations Papa was a rolling stone, and Get Ready notation/tabs)
Soul Man: Fontella Bass - Rescue me take me in your arms notation / tab
Harmony and theory: Majors n Minors triads
Advanced rock techniques: Colin Hodgkinson, the man who taught Stanley clarke how to slap!

[u]Regulars[/u]
Editorial
News pages
Readers Ads
Readers letters
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I dearly wish this was still going, as the 3 copies that i have will be pawed over for a long time I'm sure.
ps: anyone wants to get rid of any I will gladly pay postage :) (cheeky quip) :)

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1349616949' post='1828304']
The debate about the UK's only current bass guitar magazine (and Bass Player from the USA) and its various plus or minus points, has long raged on this forum. In this debate came up the name of Bassist magazine. An old sadly now defunct UK bass magazine, which I had never heard of. So i took it upon myself to get hold of a few copies and was blown away by the quality and number of interesting things to read and study in that magazine. As i dont have a scanner anymore ~I will have to put the contents page up here for all to see. This is from the September 1998 issue (£2.95)

[u]Faces[/u]
JahWobble -Interview
Girls girls girls - Article on female bass players with profiles
Steve Harris from Iron MaIDEN - Interview

[u]Gear[/u]
Godin BG IV
Mesa Boogie wedge combo
J -Retro 01 active - passive preamp
Korg AX300B multi fx pedal

[u]Features[/u]
Elvis Costello - Everyday I write the book (bruce thomas) including notation/tabs
Death Metal article
begining bass - regular section
My bass is.... regular section
Classic bass - Vox phantom IV
Workshop -How to change a pick-up

[u]Techniques[/u]
Reading made easy (including The Temptations Papa was a rolling stone, and Get Ready notation/tabs)
Soul Man: Fontella Bass - Rescue me take me in your arms notation / tab
Harmony and theory: Majors n Minors triads
Advanced rock techniques: Colin Hodgkinson, the man who taught Stanley clarke how to slap!

[u]Regulars[/u]
Editorial
News pages
Readers Ads
Readers letters
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I dearly wish this was still going, as the 3 copies that i have will be pawed over for a long time I'm sure.
ps: anyone wants to get rid of any I will gladly pay postage :) (cheeky quip) :)
[/quote]

I remember that issue, I enjoyed learning the elvis costello lines, it really helped me in a formative development time in my playing! Cracking magazine, shame it's gone :(

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1349618384' post='1828318']
I think I have every copy tucked away somewhere round the house, but didn't it really morph into BGM, or did I imagine that?
[/quote]

NAH you must have done, as the two seem as different as can be to me ? They look and read very different.

I absolutely LOVED that magazine & still remember buying my very first issue. It was issue 2 at Xmas 1994 & when I went home for Christmas my Dad had got me issue 1. I bought every issue since and I kept them all. In a way I'm pleased they stopped as I'd need a bigger house by now. Just a truly great music magazine.

I also recall going into my local corner shop and asking if they had Bassist magazine. The Indian lady serving had a great sense of humour and she said to me "you want me to sell you Racist magazine?!" Both hilarious and awkward :)

• Haha 1

Still got every issue here. Every couple of years I get them down from the wardrobe, give em a dust down and have a good few days reading matter on those miserable winter days.

Content aside I just find it easier to read than BGM, mostly due to the size and style of typeface I think.

I just had a look on ebay and got one with Kip winger and Tom hamilton in it for about £3.70 and £2.00 postage. I like Bass Guitar Magazine, it helps that I recently won an Iriffport and a dave ellefson app in a recent issue. just gotta get an ipod/pad now, I was getting the ipad at xmas with some money Ive been saving all year but looks like i wil be getting a second hand macbook pro now as My G4 Ibook is getting a bit slow. I can get a good deal on s/h 4g ipods tho.

As I keep telling anyone who will listen...my print debut was in the Mark King Issue where I wrote a lengthy and fairly turgid article about my Jaydee Supernatural Roadie Bass and enclosed a rather embarrassing (now) photo showing my arse cheeks in a mock-up of a Roadie complete with bottle of Brown Ale! The photo is even worse than it sounds!

I used to have loads of these, but kindly lent them to a 'mate' who was starting to teach himself bass, who moved flat and threw them all out. :angry:

I still have the first copy I ever bought, with Entwistle on the cover - Nov '95 I think it was. It's amusing to look in the for sale ads at the back, old Rickenbackers and Gibsons going for £400.

Bassist was a great mag when it first came out. The interviews & lesson articles were very good, and some of the reviews of the gear that was about were ok too. Sadly, as time went on, the quality of the mag started to decline. Final nail in the coffin was a totally unfunny cartoon which ran in the mag for about a year before the mag remerged with Guitarist.

I pulled all of mine apart & kept all the stuff I was really interested in and binned the rest of it (ran out of room to keep them).

It was a great mag. I miss it.
I wrote a long and turgid article about my Hamer 12-string bass for the 'my bass is...' feature.
I got some bass strings for submitting it. Not a 12-string set, sadly, but what the hey...
I managed to have a few nice conversations with Roger Newell who wrote for the mag.

The mag was absorbed into Guitarist and my subscription was honoured with copies of that.
I cancelled it when they started to forget what a bass looked like.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1349736146' post='1830008']
It was a great mag. I miss it.
I wrote a long and turgid article about my Hamer 12-string bass for the 'my bass is...' feature.
I got some bass strings for submitting it. Not a 12-string set, sadly, but what the hey...
I managed to have a few nice conversations with Roger Newell who wrote for the mag.

[/quote]

I've always wondered it that was your bass!