Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass players

Lfalex v1.1

Got to pipe in with Alex Griffin of Ned's Atomic Dustbin, the 'lead' bassist of the two. Rarely if ever see him mentioned, which is a real shame. Not a conventional player by any means but definitely my biggest influence, the first player to open my eyes to the different possibilities of the instrument.
Big plus one for Morgan Nicholls too :)

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1317835079' post='1395211']
Funnily enough we now work for a Belgium based company but we are in the UK!
He also played bass on a Joan Armatrading album and his own band which IIRC was called Happyhead.
As I say he now plays with Paul youngs c/w band...he normally plays bass still but in that vid he's playing acoustic guitar.
[/quote]

I recall seeing him in a c/w band while looking out for him on Youtube...together with Mick Karn and Palladino, Steve Greetham was such a source of inspiration and his phrasing was pure joy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T-6kPargPU[/media]

Here's my nominations:

Ewan Vernal - Deacon Blue
Mike Visceglia - Suzanne Vega
Jim Fielder - Blood Sweat & Tears
Kevin McCormick - Melissa Etheridge / Jackson Browne
David Hood - Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section
Dave Bronze - Be Sharp / Eric Clapton / Art of Noise
Roscoe Beck - Robben Ford & the Blue Line
Dick Nolan - It Bites

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1317780071' post='1394538']
I'd like to add Paulo Jr from Sepultura, if I may, who has created some very tight lines over the years
[/quote]

I wouldn't say he was a forgotten great, but he has done a few good metal basslines over the years. He used to play an Alembic at one point too, IIRC, so bonus points for that!

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1318322052' post='1400380']
Here's my nominations:

Ewan Vernal - Deacon Blue
Mike Visceglia - Suzanne Vega
Jim Fielder - Blood Sweat & Tears
Kevin McCormick - Melissa Etheridge / Jackson Browne
David Hood - Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section
Dave Bronze - Be Sharp / Eric Clapton / Art of Noise
Roscoe Beck - Robben Ford & the Blue Line
Dick Nolan - It Bites
[/quote]

Good to see Jim Fielder get a mention. I went to see Neil Sedaka at the Hexagon several years ago and was pleasantly surprised to find Jim doing bass duties with him. Jim's line in Spinning Wheel was quite ground-breaking at the time.

[quote name='Cow' timestamp='1317836145' post='1395230']
Got to pipe in with Alex Griffin of Ned's Atomic Dustbin, the 'lead' bassist of the two. Rarely if ever see him mentioned, which is a real shame. Not a conventional player by any means but definitely my biggest influence, the first player to open my eyes to the different possibilities of the instrument.
Big plus one for Morgan Nicholls too :)
[/quote]
Plus 1 on both off these. Alex is such a great bassist and Morgan did great work with Muse and Lily.
I have had the pleasure of sharing many stages with both of these bass players.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1318328599' post='1400526']

You're right there Garry, I know he's a bit of a jazzer & he does a bit of work with Capercaille (sp?). Has any mag ever done a decent interview with him?
[/quote]

Louis, I think somewhere back there was an interview with him in one of the Bass mags.

Jazz, rock, funk, the whole lot. He is such a rounded player. A few years back he picked up the Double bass in a couple of weeks, and was up & gigging.... :)
One player that slipped under the radar.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Chris Childs - Thunder, Bad Influence, Then Jericho, Go West, The Ultimate Eagles.......... A great all rounder and a thoroughly nice bloke.

Oh and Roscoe Beck- Robben Ford, Eric Johnson, Leonard Cohen.........

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1317243322' post='1388682']
Again, less contemporary, but here goes..

Glen Matlock. Look at his playing on the show 'So it Goes', very dexterous and strong. Who said punks couldn't play? Testicles, I say. And no matter what folk say, he turned up to play on 'Never Mind the Bollocks', just the album that stopped everything, and started it again.

[/quote]

Glen Matlock only played on two Never mind the bollocks tracks. Steve Jones played the others (in a power chord root and fifth fashion, as per his guitar work) when it became clear that Glen was not going to turn up, despite being paid up front by Malcom Maclaren. It was Glen's two fingers to the people who never stood by him. He spent those two days in various pubs staying out of the way so he couldnt be found. He admits all this himself in his autobiography.

For several years the rumour was that he had turned up and played on the album, because everyone knew Sid didnt do it. Even Johnny Rotton thought this had happened, as he was only there to put his vocals on top, he just assumed that Glen had turned up, and slagged him off for it. But it was just a dumb rumour the same as the one that stated that [color=#000000]Chris[/color] Spedding played on NMTB as well as behind a screen when on tour playing live!! :)

The truth of who played on the album is also confirmed on [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Albums-Pistols-Never-Bollocks/dp/B00007DWOQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1318361722&sr=1-1"]The Classic albums DVD [/url]for Never Mind the B0llocks, where the band and the producer Bill Price talk us through the album track by track.

The [size=4]spünk[/size] bootleg has a few more of Glen Matlock's tracks with some early Denmark street recordings on it and a live track from 1976.

Glen's work can still be heard on a load of early bootlegs though most are rough.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1318361922' post='1401231']

Glen Matlock only played on two Never mind the bollocks tracks. Steve Jones played the others (in a power chord root and fifth fashion, as per his guitar work) when it became clear that Glen was not going to turn up, despite being paid up front by Malcom Maclaren. It was Glen's two fingers to the people who never stood by him. He spent those two days in various pubs staying out of the way so he couldnt be found. He admits all this himself in his autobiography.

For several years the rumour was that he had turned up and played on the album, because everyone knew Sid didnt do it. Even Johnny Rotton thought this had happened, as he was only there to put his vocals on top, he just assumed that Glen had turned up, and slagged him off for it. But it was just a dumb rumour the same as the one that stated that [color=#000000]Chris[/color] Spedding played on NMTB as well as behind a screen when on tour playing live!! :)

The truth of who played on the album is also confirmed on [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Albums-Pistols-Never-Bollocks/dp/B00007DWOQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1318361722&sr=1-1"]The Classic albums DVD [/url]for Never Mind the B0llocks, where the band and the producer Bill Price talk us through the album track by track.

The [size=4]spünk[/size] bootleg has a few more of Glen Matlock's tracks with some early Denmark street recordings on it and a live track from 1976.

Glen's work can still be heard on a load of early bootlegs though most are rough.
[/quote]

That seems a bit nit-picking, but, OK, He turned up and played on only two tracks of the 'Never Mind the Bollocks' Album. Which was certainly two more tracks than I (or anyone else, apart from Jones and Matlock)) did. I've not read his autobiography, I just got my information from what Glen told me himself, but maybe the truth got in the way of a good story. There was a guy around them at the time called Ed Tudor-Pole, he sang on a couple of post-Lydon tracks, who I did some work with, and his comments certainly concurred with Glens'. Anyway, still a great unsung hero in my book, and a bloody nice guy to boot.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1318360378' post='1401191']
Rainy from Discharge.
[/quote]

Always loved the quote from the first (I think) Discharge album.. 'Cal Rainy Bones, thanks to no f**cker!' Pure Class. How about the bass at the start of 'The Serenade is Dead' by Conflict? Not sure who played it, but a classic.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1318335390' post='1400690']
Are the likes of Eddie Gomez, Tommy Cogbill and Roscoe Beck really forgotten?
I suppose maybe in the UK.

Garry
[/quote]

The OP was refering to the amount of discussion bass players receive on BC and as such Tommy Cogbill gets very little. I wouldn't have thought he would have made many Bass Player Top 20's either side of the Atlantic though I'd be delighted to be proved wrong!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1318366440' post='1401316']

The OP was refering to the amount of discussion bass players receive on BC and as such Tommy Cogbill gets very little. I wouldn't have thought he would have made many Bass Player Top 20's either side of the Atlantic though I'd be delighted to be proved wrong!
[/quote]

Ah......
Could be they have not heard of him, and I suppose if they ain't heard of him - they can't really forget him then..... :)

Garry

2 unsung players who influenced me and I rarely see mentioned:

Andrew Bodnar - Graham Parker, Pretenders

Fernando Saunders - Jeff Beck, Lou Reed

Both great fretless players as is Steve Greetham mentioned earlier in the thread. I still have the red fretless Stingray I bought off him in the early 90s when I was just starting out. I recall he put on an Annabel Lamb Cd so I could hear the bass. Thanks for the memories!