Why become a member? ×

Best Chromatic Tuner

yepmop

[size=3]Hi All[/size]

[size=3]i know it's not strictly an effects pedal but i'm after a Chromatic tuner that is easily visible in a gig situation.[/size]

[size=3]I don't want to spend loads of dosh on it, but any guidance would be great.[/size]

[size=3]one I've been looking into is the [b]Behringer TU300[/b] [b][color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif, Verdana] [/font][/color][/b][color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif, Verdana]but have read mixed reports bass wise, as some report it has difficulty with the E string?[/font][/color][/size]

[size=3][font="Arial, sans-serif, Verdana"][color="#000000"]Any advice much appreciated.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font="Arial, sans-serif, Verdana"][color="#000000"]Cheers[/color][/font][/size]

I haven't bought one yet, but after looking at a lot of video's on Youtube, the TC Electronic Polytune or Polytune Mini look very good.

You can strum all the strings at once (even on a bass) and it'll show you exactly which strings are out. Playing a single string will then zoom in like a normal tuner.

The Mini doesn't take a battery, so is only a good idea if you're running a pedalboard.

[quote name='JMM' timestamp='1349047450' post='1821200']
I haven't bought one yet, but after looking at a lot of video's on Youtube, the TC Electronic Polytune or Polytune Mini look very good.

You can strum all the strings at once (even on a bass) and it'll show you exactly which strings are out. Playing a single string will then zoom in like a normal tuner.

The Mini doesn't take a battery, so is only a good idea if you're running a pedalboard.
[/quote]

You can't strum on the PolyTune mini, as far as I know.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1349071477' post='1821249']
You can't strum on the PolyTune mini, as far as I know.
[/quote]

You can, but it doesn't track that well on bass. Tuning strings individually as normal tracks fine though. Only difference between the mini and the normal Polytune is that the mini won't take a battery, It has to be powered by psu.

For my two penneth I'd advise you get a Boss TU-2 second hand. They are cheap, gig proof, tune accurately and can be seen easily on stage.

That said, the Sonic Research tuner is the best, but not the cheapest.

Edited by NoirBass

[indent=1]I had the behringer pedal tuner for a while, and didn't find it particularly responsive in live situations, especially when drop-D tuning was required. I then bought the Harley Benton TU-100 pedal tuner and I have to say I'm very happy with it. It's really cheap too, which helps![/indent]

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1349073752' post='1821262']
You can, but it doesn't track that well on bass. Tuning strings individually as normal tracks fine though. Only difference between the mini and the normal Polytune is that the mini won't take a battery, It has to be powered by psu.
[/quote]

They must have changed it then. Originally they said no polytune in bass mode.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1349096167' post='1821666']
They must have changed it then. Originally they said no polytune in bass mode.
[/quote]

Perhaps thats why it won't track well for me then? it's somewhat of a gimmick though, I bought it for the size more than anything.

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1349116385' post='1822064']
Perhaps thats why it won't track well for me then? it's somewhat of a gimmick though, I bought it for the size more than anything.
[/quote]

I have the full size one and never use the polytune bit.. I've found it's a tad inaccurate.

I've just finally got around to ordering my Polytune mini.

Something else I have just noticed is that the Boss TU-2 has an accuracy of +/- 3 cent, the TU-3 has a better accuracy of +/-1 cent, but the Polytune is +/- 0.5 cent, so 6x more accurate than the TU-2.

Many thanks for the advice guys, at least my search is narrowed down to about 3 now :)
the Pitchblack, TU2/3 and [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Polytune mini.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Now to surf around for deals.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cheers[/font][/color]

[quote name='JMM' timestamp='1349120050' post='1822138']
I've just finally got around to ordering my Polytune mini.

Something else I have just noticed is that the Boss TU-2 has an accuracy of +/- 3 cent, the TU-3 has a better accuracy of +/-1 cent, but the Polytune is +/- 0.5 cent, so 6x more accurate than the TU-2.
[/quote]
I believe the Polytune is only that accurate in strobe mode...

Pitch black all the way for me. The TU3 was good but three gigs later, the white casing looks scruffy and the stomp button on the pitch black is a lot nicer than the rocking pedal thing on the TU3.

Edited by skej21

Here's another vote for the TU-2/3. There's one from May in the Effects for sale section
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/176159-fs-boss-tu-2-tuner/page__p__1817894__hl__tu%202__fromsearch__1#entry1817894"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/176159-fs-boss-tu-2-tuner/page__p__1817894__hl__tu%202__fromsearch__1#entry1817894[/url]
No indication it's been sold and only £45

Pitchblack. No question. Nice simple chunky well built pedal, really big, bright display, several display modes, (I've only ever used one, but it'll probably be different to the one you use!), kick the foot switch to change basses, great! Works well with B string too.

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1349073752' post='1821262']

For my two penneth I'd advise you get a Boss TU-2 second hand. They are cheap, gig proof, tune accurately and can be seen easily on stage.

That said, the Sonic Research tuner is the best, but not the cheapest.
[/quote]

Mmm... I tried the Sonic and didn't like it at all, it was fast but visually it wasn't clear.