Why become a member? ×

Hurrah Guitar Guitar! NBD for me.

Cosmo Valdemar

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the Fender 50s Precision bass. I've been lusting after one for quite a while now, and after selling some bits and bobs on here (and more importantly, getting blessing of the Mrs), I decided to treat myself! My heart was set on the sunburst model but they seemed few and far between - however a call to Guitar Guitar in Epsom bore fruit as they had one.

I drove over there this morning to find two out on display, one in black and the other 'honey blonde'. Or babysick as it's sometimes lovingly called. The sunburst had only just arrived so a helpful chap called Sean went off to find it in the stockroom, offering me a go on any of the others while I waited. So I idly got the 'blonde' down and plugged into the Aguilar rig set up. Well, I knew straight away this was the one. Sounded amazing, and that fantastic neck! The maple has an amazing stripe/flame, running all the way up the neck and headstock. It's quite tricky to capture in pictures and reacts differently in light, but it's so beautiful.

I had a go on the sunburst but it just didn't feel quite as right. And while there's nothing wrong at all with the usual maple necks, the one on the blonde is just so special. I'm a bit in love, and still amazed I came away with this finish, it looks very odd and a bit drab on the websites but it's very attractive in the flesh (wood?). And the neck profile feels perfect for me - nice and chunky, and wide at the nut, but very cofortable. I think I'm going to change the metal scratchplate though, it feels horrible, like a blackboard. I wince every time I catch my fingernail on it. Maybe black, or a nice dark red tort.

I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow. I am very happy.

Also, I was extremely impressed with Guitar Guitar. I was expecting a Guitar Centre-style operation, but the place had an extremely relaxed and friendly vibe. I was left to try out anything I wanted, without hassle or dirty looks. Lots of lovely basses in stock, cool staff, it's well worth a visit. I also tried an Epiphone Jack Casady (want one), an Epiphone EB3 (junk), a G&L Tribute (too complicated), and an Ibanez SR505 (felt like a toy, very weak B string, only had a go because I like Dave Pegg). I quite liked the Aguilar too.

Nice one Ben, I had one of those for a while, and they are great basses - and agree about the colouring, the maple looks a lot nicer with the blonde. Re scratchplate, the 50s ones have the 10-hole fixing I think, so be prepared for a bit of a search, or maybe The Bass Doc on here can help.

Bootiful :)

Agree with Lozz about the scratch plate, I have a Fender Custom Shop Pearl that should have fitted straight on my AV '57, but not all the holes lined up perfect, it wouldn't lay flat.

Uncle Horrid does make lovely plates, he's your best bet for a quality replacement.

Cheerz, John

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1349000276' post='1820436']
Well here's some pics. Phone pics I'm afraid but it's the best I can do at the moment.
I've tried to capture the maple figuring on the headstock, without much success - you can just see the stripes along the top edge, but it' far more noticeable in person. Ditto the stripes on the back of the neck.
[/quote]a very nice bass with some lovely wood used. Congrats.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1349001190' post='1820452']
Bootiful :)

Agree with Lozz about the scratch plate, I have a Fender Custom Shop Pearl that should have fitted straight on my AV '57, but not all the holes lined up perfect, it wouldn't lay flat.

Uncle Horrid does make lovely plates, he's your best bet for a quality replacement.

Cheerz, John
[/quote]

Who is this Uncle Horrid?

Lovely looking bass mate! But wait...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1348961572' post='1820251']
I also tried an Epiphone Jack Casady (want one), an Epiphone EB3 (junk), a G&L Tribute (too complicated), and an Ibanez SR505...
[/quote]

G&L Tribute [i]too complicated[/i]!? Well ok it does have more than 3 controls :rolleyes:

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1349023445' post='1820785']
Lovely looking bass mate! But wait...

G&L Tribute [i]too complicated[/i]!? Well ok it does have more than 3 controls :rolleyes:
[/quote]

If a passive vol and tone does the job, then three knobs and three switches is overkill for me - especially as I struggled to figure out what most of them did. ;)