Why become a member? ×

This is the maddest bass I have seen!

Angel

There was an article on the Conklin website (dunno if its still there) about this instrument. The number of strings is one thing, but the sheer weight of it must be unbearable. If you want lots of strings, tap across 5 octaves and so forth...play a Chapman Stick! Your back and wrists will thank you!

Are you absolutely sure that this guy isn't some kind of John Pattitucci tribute act thats gone a bit too far off the rails ? If I went to a gig and someone got that thing out in front of me I would be worried as to the mental health of the bass player in question , especially if you think about what this thing must have cost. He doesn't give off the air of a happy and well-adjusted man.

I live in the same area as Dan Conklin. I know him. He's a great guy. In his early days, he did some custom work on another instrument for me when I didn't have a workshop to do it myself. A friend of mine has one of his seven-string basses. It sounds great. It's not really that heavy. Yes, the fretboard looks like an airport landing strip or the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.

Joking aside, there are others who do sound good on a multi-string bass. It's not just the access to the extreme high notes or low notes that a bass like this has. It's the technique of being able to switch positions laterally rather than longitudinally (across the neck instead of up and down the neck) for increased faculty (easier to play) on patterns, scales, intervals, leaps, and other advanced techniques that most of us, including me, don't really ever get into, but can appreciate.

I'll go back to my 4-string trench now....

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1348913675' post='1819685']
Honestly, the three minutes I heard was completely unmusical. If i did what he did on a guitar I'd be seen as a beginner, do it on a ten string bass and I would be seen as a 'proper musician'.

Why does almost everyone I've ever seen playing one of these start on the top string, do some lame scale patterns on the high strings, then some badly played elementary jazz chords (while closing their eyes and 'emoting') with some guitar style 'expression', then a bit of crap slapping, (edit: I almost forgot the dreadful harmonics!) and almost forget there are bass strings on it?

These people seem to be very confused and don't have much to say on the instrument. I think they get one made and quickly realise they are pointless white elephants so resort to showing us on YT how unplayable they are.
[/quote]

As much as I usually defend people to take a different approach... I can't find myself disagreeing with any of this if i'm honest!

I discovered a couple of years ago that a 6 string is my limit. I can play musically on it, and I don't see having extra strings as having any benefit. There are some players who can make great use out of 7+ string basses (dood is a fine example!), but I'm not one of them... And judging by the video in the OP neither can that guy!

To poorly quote Billy Sheehan on anything with more than four strings "I have a couple of five strings at home. I find most people dont give enough time to get good on a four string first" *interviewer* -"How long is that?" *Sheehan* - "About 20 years"

or something like that

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1349562871' post='1827854']
It's the technique of being able to switch positions laterally rather than longitudinally (across the neck instead of up and down the neck) for increased faculty (easier to play) on patterns, scales, intervals, leaps, and other advanced techniques that most of us, including me, don't really ever get into, but can appreciate.
[/quote]
This defence always comes up,but to be honest,I don't particularly buy it that much (except in the case of Anthony Jackson who is
probably the only guy to actually make great use of that).Great you can play 2 octave scales in one position,but that's no big deal-you
can do it on a 4 string with only one shift. There are tons of players who can,and have been able to play extended scales,intervals etc.
on 4 and 5 strings,it's not that difficult if you know your instrument.I've also never seen anyone that plays an instrument like this use
any 'advanced techniques' that can't be done on other instruments.
Like I've said before,I've got no problem with extended range instruments,but for the vast majority of players they are about the extreme
lows and highs (then again,there are lots of 5 string players who are all about the lowest notes too).

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349644691' post='1828740']
...for the vast majority of players they are about the extreme lows and highs (then again,there are lots of 5 string players who are all about the lowest notes too).
[/quote]

I've always avoided using the B string too much... It's so much more effective when used sparingly! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Human nature often makes the assumption (rightly or wrongly) that bigger is better, which can lead to misunderstanding and unhealthy feelings (superiority or inferiority).
Truthfully a number of the ERB You Tube videos, whilst not necessarily wrong in themselves, have done little to aid this understanding.
However, we need to remember:[list]
[*]Variety is typically useful, enabling one to choose carefully the instrument that really fits ones needs (I choose to drive a smaller car but that does not mean that the bigger cars are any less valid a choice for someone else);
[*]Basses with more strings does not necessarily equate to being a better player (driving my smaller car does not necessarily mean I am any better, or worse, at driving than those in their bigger cars);
[*]Not every string has to be used every time an instrument is played (who uses every seat in their car for every journey they make?)
[/list]
Looking at my avatar you could quite naturally guess I’m a virtuoso or a show off. In reality you could not be more wrong, it’s taken a long time / lots of effort to get used to the extra strings and there is absolutely no chance of me making a You Tube video or posting a recording of myself.

My first ERB was built out of an open minded curiosity, leading to the discovery I personally feel more musically creative on ERBs than I ever did on my 5 string I had for the previous 13 years. I never expected this, or how much of a different type of instrument it felt compared to the 4-6 string basses I’d previously tried (my “its just a 6 string bass with a couple of extra strings” view soon changed but only after I’d got the bass).

Everyone in the band knows I have no intentions of being anything other than the bass player. However the guitarist and I have found greater friendship, as this old dog slowly learns additional techniques that can be used alongside what he is doing in a way that benefits some of the music we are all playing together.

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1349601436' post='1828043']
To poorly quote Billy Sheehan on anything with more than four strings "I have a couple of five strings at home. I find most people dont give enough time to get good on a four string first" *interviewer* -"How long is that?" *Sheehan* - "About 20 years"

or something like that
[/quote]
I remember watching this Billy Sheehan interview and thinking to myself that even though I am playing 25 years (it's 6 yrs since I ventured into 5 / 6 string land) I still couldn't play remotely like Billy Sheehan on a 4 stringer. I actually self critiqued and felt inadequate at the finger dexterity I had just watched.
Some people were made to play Bass like Billy Sheehan, Mr Aircraft carrier sized bass is clearly not one of them.
Neither am I for that matter, but I stay off Youtube.

Edited by bassman344

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1349601436' post='1828043']

or something like that
[/quote]

Ah yes, from "IMHO", he speaks about "The Flinch" and this is one topic.
I play no less than 5-string and mostly 6-string in my main band and he makes a good point, indeed I haven't gotten the most from a 4-string...But then playing one in my current band would be impossible.

That being said, "The Flinch" goes both ways and I know that Billy can't play a 5-string+ as well as his 4-string, which is heavily modified to his needs so bad that he has a twin neck just so one bass can be tuned BEAD. X-D
In other words, Sheehan himself is also "flinching" from 5-string as much as he says modern players "flinch" from the 4-string. :-P
Love the guy, he's wise way beyond his experience and far from the shredder people think he is (He also speaks about that's all people post on Youtube from him) but I do have to criticise also haha.

On a different point. You could just light a fire and fuel it for two winters with the neck of the bass alone. Then kill a cow and float it downriver on the body wood to the slaughterhouse and get enough meat to justify the size of the fire you will make with the body of the bass. feed my neighbourhood too.
Just a thought.

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1348919329' post='1819761']
that drummers awsome
[/quote]

He rocks the kit hard. There's an awesome comment on the vid: "That cowbell fill at the end was sick"

P.S. I want a fretless version with a 40 inch scale and 20 strings (10 string pairs with octave up strings above each one).
Should be fun through a practice amp.

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1348913675' post='1819685']
Honestly, the three minutes I heard was completely unmusical. If i did what he did on a guitar I'd be seen as a beginner, do it on a ten string bass and I would be seen as a 'proper musician'.
[/quote]

+1 The means deployed here do not bring anything a beginner guitarist wouldn't bring. So why bother.... I wonder :o