Why become a member? ×

Stanley Clarke's unusual upright bass rig

Clarky

I was reading about SC and his upright playing and came across this article. Turns out that to amplify his upright he uses an Underwood pickup through a full-blown Ampeg SVT rig, which is certainly not a standard choice for the DB community! Sounds like a recipe for feedback to me but who am I to argue with the man!

Http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Aug/Stanley_Clarke_A_Bass_Man_and_His_Upright_Desires.aspx?Page=4

I played a stage at Camp Bestival this year where the provided bass amp was an Ampeg SVT with a 4 x 10. Sounded great with no feedback problems. The dude from the John Butler Trio uses a SVT/4*10 rig as well. Admittedly, neither he nor I are as jazz cattish as Stanley Clarke.

He's never been one to adopt the latest gear - for a long time he was still using the old Fishman BP100 pickup. He's a low action player, and was struggling with this mic/pickup/amp stuff back in the late 60's.....so everything probably still feels like an improvement!

I remember erading a thing a thousand years ago when Clarke discussed hus thenrig. He said he had this major rig with crossovers and all sorts of bells and whistles but that, one day, he realised that no-one had ever actually complimented him on his sound. SO he simplified it a lot (can'r actually remember what to, I am afraid).

I play mine through my Eden Metro and have no feedback probs (includes a Fishman Plat Pro).

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1348818722' post='1818558']
True but they are all slapping against the background of loud guitars and drums. Seems like overkill for a jazz/fusion guy!
[/quote]

fair point

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1348947574' post='1820101']
I remember seeing him on telly in the early 80's and he had this plexi-glass sphere covered in small speakers?
[/quote]

i definately need to see pics of that

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of years ago at the Womad festival, I was blown away by Soil+Pimp Sessions (Hi-energy Japanese jazz band) whose bassist Akita Goldman was playing his DB through two SVT rigs. As you can imagine, the sound was immense. And still recognisably a double bass sound.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe Mark Knopfler's URB man is Dudley Phillips, a very nice guy and terrific player! I used to have lessons with him at the Welsh College. I've played double bass through an SVT and 810 and quite liked the sound, very rich and smooth down to the low end. I guess the main reason double bass players aren't often seen with stacks of speakers is the overkill factor on most gigs.

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1352629373' post='1865236']
I believe Mark Knopfler's URB man is Dudley Phillips, a very nice guy and terrific player! I used to have lessons with him at the Welsh College. I've played double bass through an SVT and 810 and quite liked the sound, very rich and smooth down to the low end. I guess the main reason double bass players aren't often seen with stacks of speakers is the overkill factor on most gigs.
[/quote]

Glenn Worf is touring with him at the moment.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1348818722' post='1818558']
True but they are all slapping against the background of loud guitars and drums. Seems like overkill for a jazz/fusion guy!
[/quote]

Maybe...but by their own admission,Return to Forever are a loud band.

['BassBod'
[attachment=121451:stanleyk4uo.jpg]

Try this - I'm guessing this was mid 70's Stanley gear. I think the multiple tiny speaker thing was copied/borrowed from the Alembic Wall of Sound PA.

MB1.
Indeed
Remember seeing this Globe setup, looked very sci fi !
Lee Rocker (Stray Cats) had 2 Ampeg SVT 810 rigs on stage...No Feedback!

Saw a gig at the Festival Hall tonight with a bassist switching between DB and a Fender P (looked like a Pino) all evening.

Both basses went through one rig with what seemed to be a simple A/B pedal.

The rig was an SVT Classic into an 8x10 (laying on its side).

Big suspended wooden stage and not a hint of feedback all evening :)

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1350568066' post='1840618']
[attachment=121451:stanleyk4uo.jpg]

Try this - I'm guessing this was mid 70's Stanley gear. I think the multiple tiny speaker thing was copied/borrowed from the Alembic Wall of Sound PA.
[/quote]

Wall Of Sound?

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/WallOfSoundVocals.jpg[/IMG]

Naaaaah.

I reckon it's based on this:

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/BigAmplifier.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1348946105' post='1820077']
I remember reading a thing a thousand years ago when Clarke discussed hus thenrig.[/quote]

Cool! I've been a fan of Hus Thenrig's for a long time - good to hear that Stan is a fan too.... Not enough about Norwegian bass players on here! B)