Why become a member? ×

Using an iPad for charts etc

tonyf

Didn't know whether or not to stick this posting in here or in the Miscellaneous Equipment and Accessories but here we go.

I've just started a new project where I want to use my iPad to store my charts, song sheets and notes etc rather than the usual "tatty uncoordinated folder of scribbled A4" approach.

Does anyone used an iPad do this? If so, how do you do it? Are there any apps to organise a setlist using charts, add-hoc notes etc?

T

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1348564281' post='1815134']
The keyboard wizard in my band uses an iPad to skip between notes and charts for each song. He just used the notepad function on the iPad and sorts the files in the order of the setlist before each gig.

He just props it on his keyboard stand.

Truckstop
[/quote]

I've gotta admit, I've been using GarageBand to spit the bass clef out into printed form from which I can then make notes over the charts and it's working pretty well but I want to organise it a bit better. The advantages of this are that where we transpose stuff to fit the vocalists ranges, I can simply adjust the midi file in GB before I print it out.

Maybe pdf'ing it and then using iBooks is all i need?

T

Thanks chaps for the pointers. Brilliant help.

Guess it's finding something that I'll be comfortable with. I've not been reading that long and I'm currently feeling my way into it at the moment, still relying on making notes on my charts as helpers to where chorus or verses etc fall and the occasional chord marking in places where I find i get stuck. I guess it's all about confidence. If I find something that will allow me to use those notes on the charts, that'll probably make it easier for me.

The pdf and iBooks path seems to be quite common, I've just spoken to my keyboard player who uses this approach.

T

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1348566354' post='1815166']
Have a look at ForScore too- I use it all the time.
Then add these (with a mic stand) and you're off.

[url="http://airturn.com/"]http://airturn.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_19712_ipad_halterung.htm?sid=a0f9589b31a70d9b63d043cb172beeef"]http://www.thomann.d...3d043cb172beeef[/url]
[/quote]

What a great tool.

iRealB is fantastic, having so many charts that can be transposed in realtime is a blessing. However, since I bought the app originally, they no longer include all the charts with the app, this is for legal reasons. The app only now comes with 50 generic charts, you have to download the charts from the forum if you want them. I have the preference file saved separately on my Mac so I can always reinstall all of them should I lose the app. You do this through iTunes with the iPad or iPhone connected.

PM me if anyone is interested in the file and I'll send it to you.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='derrenleepoole' timestamp='1348566982' post='1815178']
iRealB is fantastic, having so many charts that can be transposed in realtime is a blessing. However, since I bought the app originally, they no longer include all the charts with the app, this is for legal reasons. The app only now comes with 50 generic charts, you have to download the charts from the forum if you want them. I have the preference file saved separately on my Mac so I can always reinstall all of them should I lose the app. You do this through iTunes with the iPad or iPhone connected.

PM me if anyone is interested in the file and I'll send it to you.
[/quote]

This is perfectly correct but almost makes it sound worse than it is. On the forum (you don't need to register) with a couple of clicks you have downloaded hundreds, if not thousands of jazz/function charts. Soooo easy. Best £5 I ever spent, no doubt!

• 3 months later...

One band that I regularly work with are totally on tablets now for all the charts. Ignoring programs like
iReal,which is great,all the charts are in pdf format and emailed to the band. We've got a huge amount
of tunes in the set (some charted,some not) but none of us have to carry a pad anymore,which saves a
lot of weight when travelling. Also any new charts can either be emailed or transferred straight to the
tablet,saving the hassle of the MD printing a ton of pages. It's great.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1359890596' post='1961528']
We have a samsung galaxy tablet that I'm thinking of using for charts...any idea whether those apps are available on android too?
[/quote]

I was just looking to find out, seems so, I haven't tried it yet though

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.massimobiolcati.irealb&hl=en

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1359890596' post='1961528']
We have a samsung galaxy tablet that I'm thinking of using for charts...any idea whether those apps are available on android too?
[/quote]
I just use Adobe Reader for my Galaxy. All the charts are in PDF form so it's easy.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1359920295' post='1962091']

I just use Adobe Reader for my Galaxy. All the charts are in PDF form so it's easy.
[/quote]

I've tried that and it absolutely works, I'm just wondering if there's a smoother way of moving between songs than having to either make one pdf of the whole gig in order or finding the next song in the changeover...?
Some app that lets you select which song pdfs to call up and does so in the right order, also letting you save setlists

Yeah that's the app one of the guys I know was talking about. Shame I can't recall the name as I want it too ! Anyone know of the other app where just touching the screen will change pdf's without swiping ? You can also add a bluetooth pedal which will move the charts forward and back