Why become a member? ×

herbie flowers still going strong

jhk

[size=4][size=5][i][b]just spent a delightful afternoon,watching herbie flowers,chris spedding plus band playing for free in open air on beach front ,in our village in rottingdean,east sussex.........[/b][/i][/size][/size]
[size=4][size=5][i][b]he`s now 74 years old!!!!!..............and just as enthusiastic as ever ........ a joy to listen to, on both double and electric bass....................blimey!! ...I hope I last as long as him......[/b][/i][/size][/size]

[size=5][b][i]it was a gig ,celebrating the recent opening of a beachfront performance area.There`s been a series of gigs this summer at this venue................... herbie lives just up the road in ditchling,but is often seen gigging around brighton area..........................it was quite surreal listening to space oddity and walk on the wild side(both herbie`s sessions)and looking out to a shimmering sea....[/i][/b][/size]

Herb is a lovely bloke, great raconteur, and a superbly generous educationalist. I've seen him play with Chris several times, and Plux has literally spent weeks with him over the years at his Brighton Rockshop events: he even lent Plux his infamous Jazz bass for just about the entire week and the final performance, just because Plux was so into it (and because he plays db and so can actually get one of those telegraph cables to touch the neck at all).

An absolute gent.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently Gainsbourg used a few bass players during his classic era, including Russ Stableford and also Brian Odgers, ( basically, along with Herbie , the top session players in London during this era) but a lot of tracks were Herbie Flowers . As might be expected, there is by now some disagreement as to who played on the final version of which track ( similar to the whole Jamerson-Carol Kaye controversy/debate). The upside is that they were all great.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1347801989' post='1805134']
....out of interest, what rig was he using?
[/quote] I'm not sure what he uses these days,but I always loved the sound he got from his old Wallace amp in the 70's At one point he used Trace Elliot and also had a Roland cube.None as good as the Wallace...:)

Hear one of his talks a few years ago at the Portland Pub in Brighton & Hove and he was fabulously entertaining.. Told me off for chewing gum when I walked in the room IIRC!

By the end of his talk he had everyone singing and playing along to 'Walk on the Wild Side'..

He started off as a tuba player in the army he said and has just gone on from there.

Sort of bloke that should be Basschat's Patron or something..

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1347809506' post='1805268']
I think the bass on the Serge Gainsborough records was Russ Stableford, certainly on Je T'aime.
[/quote]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Some posts from his son [size=3][[color=#000000]Glyn Stableford][/color][/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Herbie joins in i think.[/font]

[url="http://freakytrigger.co.uk/ft/2006/07/the-love-affair-everlasting-love/"]http://freakytrigger.co.uk/ft/2006/07/the-love-affair-everlasting-love/[/url]

Garry

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1347879053' post='1805959']
Hear one of his talks a few years ago at the Portland Pub in Brighton & Hove and he was fabulously entertaining.. Told me off for chewing gum when I walked in the room IIRC!

By the end of his talk he had everyone singing and playing along to 'Walk on the Wild Side'..

He started off as a tuba player in the army he said and has just gone on from there.

Sort of bloke that should be Basschat's Patron or something..
[/quote]

Was that the Brighton Bass day thing?

Was a great day that, and Herb really ought to be the Patron Saint of Bass ;)