Why become a member? ×

The hardest part...

gafbass02

I just wrote this for something and it occurred to post it here too...

I swear the hardest part of being in a band isn't the years and years of learning the instrument, it's not the hours upon hours of writing and arranging and practicing the material, it's not the nights spent writing biogs and emailing and getting the schedules of each band member to match up, it's not the time spent away from family networking or travelling to and from gigs and carrying gear, it's not the two or three hour sets on an empty stomach or the rushed (or absent) sound checks with landlords asking you to 'turn the drums down', or watching the volume limiter kill your expensive amp every time someone flushes the loo, it's not even the drunk guy shouting 'oasis' in your face all night and trying to play your precious instrument. 
It's getting those landlords and venues to simply answer the phone, or text, or email or return your call with a gig. 
That's it. That's the single hardest part in my twenty years gigging experience! 

What's yours fellow muso's?

I must admit that's my close second. Not sure it's always easy if the band is good though, (It comes a bit close to 'if it's hard it's cause you're crap', which certainly isnt always the case) but that could well depend on other factors, who you know, local tastes etc. but as ever ymmv IMHO ime, etc :)

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1345014450' post='1772235']
Getting gigs is easy if your band is any good.
[/quote]

That's a little harsh :lol:!! I think it's as much to do with having someone on your side with the necessary drive, persistence, tact, guile, powers of persuasion and personality to make all those cold calls and tramp around the venues to bring the gigs in. That person isn't always someone in the band or easy to find. Being in a good band helps of course!

Edited by ikay

The hardest thing for me - at 50 , married , other interests etc - is continuing to sacrifice my weekends by arranging my life months in advance because of gigs. I wish I could go ' Oh - I fancy playing tonight then going off to party tomorrow' etc etc but you can't. You're ruled by a diary.

Nobody ever asks me anywhere anymore because they got sick of me saying 'Sorry , I'm playing'. We get a good weather weekend out of the blue and Mrs Doc et moi want to take advantage by going off somewhere but I can't because I'm playing.

That's the hardest thing for me. I don't resent it but it's a bastard sometimes.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1345026108' post='1772397']

[size=5][b][url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/bargal/3460619031/"]this[/url][/b][/size]
[/quote]

Brilliant! :-)

My quilt commission had to be abandoned, apparently you can't stitch rotten fruit together.

I'd say the hardest thing is to get all the band members to pull in roughly the same direction.
[/quote]

100% agree with the later part... Seem to be plenty of very average to slightly poor bands tripping over bookings though and I know of a few acts who are great who struggle to get bookings. Nice soundbite but I'm not sure it's the whole picture.

Certainly though one rogue band mate can really drag down a whole act if the band isn't careful.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1345027067' post='1772422']
100% agree with the later part... Seem to be plenty of very average to slightly poor bands tripping over bookings though and I know of a few acts who are great who struggle to get bookings. Nice soundbite but I'm not sure it's the whole picture.

Certainly though one rogue band mate can really drag down a whole act if the band isn't careful.
[/quote]

Quite agree Tim - nice to see you back in Basschat land, btw.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1345013528' post='1772228']
It's getting those landlords and venues to simply answer the phone, or text, or email or return your call with a gig.
That's it. That's the single hardest part in my twenty years gigging experience!
[/quote]

Yes, yes, and yes!!!

I'd say the hardest thing is to get all the band members to pull in roughly the same direction.
[/quote]
Well, the thing is, we are good, very good in fact with out blowing our own trumpets. But venues just don't seem to want to book us, some won't even entertain the idea of a discussion.
And I kinda agree with your second point, it does bloody help!

Dan

[quote]
[/quote]

'Good' is a highly subjective term. I've seen some real dross that seems to go down pretty well and some really good bands that bomb. Often it's more about being the right band for that particular venue/night/event.

I also think it depends on the area. I've said this before, but back in the 80's when I started playing, there were plenty of places around my home town of Birkenhead and the suburbs where you could get gigs doing original stuff, hell we even got paid for most of them too. Now there aren't (covers only seems to be the policy) and the only gigs my current band has had locally have been charity things...all the others have been over in Liverpool. That's fine to a point - it's not exactly far away, but some of the venues can be a bit cliquey, and we've been let down on a few gigs because the promoter decided to change the line up at the last minute so he could put his mate's band on instead.

So yeah, broadly agree with the OP, dealing with venues, promoters etc is a huge pain in the derriere. A bit more courtesy would be nice, even if it's to say no thanks, you haven't got the gig.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1345023092' post='1772348']
The hardest thing for me - at 50 , married , other interests etc - is continuing to sacrifice my weekends by arranging my life months in advance because of gigs. I wish I could go ' Oh - I fancy playing tonight then going off to party tomorrow' etc etc but you can't. You're ruled by a diary.

Nobody ever asks me anywhere anymore because they got sick of me saying 'Sorry , I'm playing'. We get a good weather weekend out of the blue and Mrs Doc et moi want to take advantage by going off somewhere but I can't because I'm playing.

That's the hardest thing for me. I don't resent it but it's a bastard sometimes.
[/quote]yup.. A big + 1 on this