Why become a member? ×

A bit of a dilemma....

jackers

So, I recently acquired a 2012 USA P-bass, which I absolutely love, looks amazing, sounds amazing and I can't put it down.

The downside to this is that I have not touched my USA Jazz bass once since I got the P-bass. The Jazz is an amazing instrument, it looks beautiful and I love it, but I am really struggling to see when I would ever choose to use it over my P-bass.

Try as I might, 'that' sound which I get from the P-bass into my Tech21 Landmark just doesn't come out of the Jazz, and that does kinda put me off playing it, cos I'm quite picky about tone. So I think it will just end up in its case gathering dust. (and the money would be quite useful right now.)

On the other hand, it is an amazing instrument, it looks gorgeous and I am slightly worried about regretting getting rid of it in years to come.

Any suggestions/advice/comments telling me to man up etc are welcome :)

One day you will be listening to a funk song and want to play it, some sounds can only come from a Jazz. I wish I had one- like you I don't know if I would ever play it mind! :D

on the other hand, I think you manned up the day you bought the P bass!

If you can afford to keep the Jazz, keep it. One day you will yearn for that oh so sweet sound that can only be had from a Jazz. I know and have been there many times. At the moment, having sworn never again to purchase another Jazz, a Jap 75 re issue is all I can think about.

Damm you GAS!!! Why must you mess with my mind!!

:P I get terrible GAS, haha. I have promised myself (and my girlfriend, lol) that the P-bass will stay with me for life, as it is the first bass I have bought new. After starting this thread, I got the Jazz out of the case to have a play on it, and it is definitely staying :) I dunno what I was thinking, haha.

I had a similar experience late last year. After playing my trusty US Jazz Bass for almost 10 years I bought an old P-bass style Ibanez Roadstar as I felt it might better suit the type of music I was playing at the time. I instantly fell in love with the P Bass style - sound, feel, simplicity etc. I sold the Jazz a few months later and have since only played and bought P basses.

The reason I sold the Jazz at the time was because it wasn't rare or out of the ordinary. Maybe you're more attached to your Jazz, but to me, mine was just a bog standard Jazz, that I could replace at any time if I ever feel the need. Happily, despite resisting them for years, I'm now hooked on the P Bass and don't think I'll ever buy a new Jazz!

The only time I don't need the P tone is when I very occasionally need a bit of bridge pickup honk, so I bought the Roscoe Beck to cover all basses (so to speak).

I really don't need my '71 J any more, but I can't sell it. Every time I look at it, my heart misses a beat and I go weak at the knees.

Same here, got my '71 Precision last year, barely used anything since, and I have 3 other Jazzes, including a '73 Jazz.
That's the bass I feel most guilty about......I dont't think the '73 Jazz has done a gig since the P joined me :(....even my Jazz5 and my '03 Jazz have had a look in.

But I will keep the '73......unless someone wants to part ex a 60's Fender?! :-D

Oops
Si

So P Basses are currently "flavour of the month". It wasn't that long ago that it was MM Rays and everybody had to have one, same was true of Jazzes not long before that. Anybody remember when you couldn't sell a Wal? Now they're silly/sensible (take your pick) again.

Hang around long enough they'll all come back...