Why become a member? ×

Singers man!!! WTF is WRONG with these people??

Grassie

So, after what seems like an eternity rehearsing, and finally we're ready for gigs, the singer bails out on us. Cheers then, great timing...
He also sings in an originals folky type duo, and recently did a local gig at a mini-festival down here. I think it may have gone to his head. He was the singer in my last band and when we were hunting for a vocalist for this new band his name came up because he is pretty good at fronting a rock band (albeit a covers band). So we got him in. Now, there has been a bit of a break for four weeks because two of us have taken time out for family holidays, plus the rehearsals have to revolve around mine and the drummers shift patterns (not an easy thing to sort). Singerboy has been aware of this but has spat the dummy cos no-one has phoned him to tell him when the next rehearsal is. I sent him a text today to let him know that we would be reconvening on Thursday, and received his resignation in return. Nice of him to wait until I've booked the rehearsal room before he decides to tell me he can't be bothered anymore... I think communication works both ways though... we've not heard anything from him either. Dare I ask if any of you lovely people have had similar experiences....?

Going through it now mate. The singer in one of my bands seems to get the impression her ideas and thoughts aren't welcome all the time. She can be very difficult, I won't go into details on a public forum, but trust me it's a headache not worth having.

I feel for you I really do.

Dan

The simple truth is that decent singers make or break a band whereas bass players are ten a penny and a reasonable degree of competence is often all that's required.

In other words - a frank , recognition of where the real power lies within a band is an asset to a gigging musician.

What's pointless - is yet another thread bemoaning singers and their seemingly prima donna ways.

My answer has always been to learn to sing. Become the singer yourself. All it takes is the same degree of practise that other musicians put in. Sadly , when I say this I get shot down in flames but I don't really care. I figured all this stuff out years ago and went and did something about it by learning to sing - mostly by practising , some by bluffing until the practise caught up.

Some will say that playing bas while singing isn't possible. I say 'bollocks - of course it is'.It just takes practise.

Please don't feel picked on or victimised , Grant. Not my intention. You're obviously very frustrated. My intention is to encourage musicians to think differently and not just have a go at singers.

I hope your current situation resovles itself - honestly I do. But I suspect more of the solution resides with you than you think.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1344871994' post='1770418']
Going through it now mate. The singer in one of my bands seems to get the impression her ideas and thoughts aren't welcome all the time. She can be very difficult, I won't go into details on a public forum, but trust me it's a headache not worth having.

I feel for you I really do.

Dan
[/quote]
Been there with the female singer... too much red wine during gigs, that was her problem.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1344872230' post='1770427']
My answer has always been to learn to sing. Become the singer yourself. All it takes is the same degree of practise that other musicians put in. Sadly , when I say this I get shot down in flames but I don't really care. I figured all this stuff out years ago and went and did something about it by learning to sing - mostly by practising , some by bluffing until the practise caught up.

Some will say that playing bas while singing isn't possible. I say 'bollocks - of course it is'.It just takes practise.
[/quote]

Dr. Dave - he speaks the truth.

The only excuse for having a dedicated vocalist in a band (IMHO) is if they are also a really great front-person, someone who can 'work' an audience, establish a [i]rapport [/i]with them.

If they just stand there and sing, then you are better off learning to sing and ditching the vocalist.

Singing while playing bass is a real challenge, especially in the early days, so you choose material which makes it easier for you ... easy basslines involving simple shuffles and straight eights, and then move up to simple walking basslines and so on.

My answer has always been to learn to sing. Become the singer yourself. All it takes is the same degree of practise that other musicians put in.
[/quote]
We've been there. But it takes more than you've mentioned. You have to be a certain type of individual to have the confidence to front a band. If it was just about technique and being able to hold a tune then I'm sure a lot more musicians would be doing it. I get your point though. Although i disagree with your idea that this is "another pointless thread". It's neither "pointless" or "another". It's mine.

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1344872761' post='1770439']
We've been there. But it takes more than you've mentioned. You have to be a certain type of individual to have the confidence to front a band. If it was just about technique and being able to hold a tune then I'm sure a lot more musicians would be doing it. I get your point though. Although i disagree with your idea that this is "another pointless thread". It's neither "pointless" or "another". It's mine.
[/quote]

Anyone can front a band- all it takes ( at the start ) is a person who is comfortable being out of their comfort zone. Very easy to get into. I used to front a band or two, whilst playing bass simply because the singer we had wouldnt do anything interesting, and also kept losing their voices on the day of a gig.

Its just practice, like anything.

Would never class myself as a real singer though. They are a different breed.

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1344872761' post='1770439']
[/quote]

Respect to your thread as an individual thing but it's a common story round here - someone already mentioned to get ready for a flood of similar storie.

Yes , you have to be a certain type of individual. The type that gets sick of being at the bottom end of a power struggle that hampers their opportunities to make music and decides to get to the top of that food chain because the end result justifies the means. I assure you - all that takes is practise - but for some reason many of us think practising bass for 2 hrs a day for years is worth the trouble - but practising singing isn;t. We expect to be able to sing or not straight off the bat and the journey ends if we can't.

Confidence?? Front man skills?? All can be learned and all can be bluffed during the learning process.

If we don't want to sing - fine. But let's not tell ourselves we can't.

This weekend I'll be out playing while many musicians wish they were but were let down by a singer. I'll be playing and singing not because I'm gifted but because I believe in myself and I practised.

The simple truth is that decent singers make or break a band whereas bass players are ten a penny and a reasonable degree of competence is often all that's required.

In other words - a frank , recognition of where the real power lies within a band is an asset to a gigging musician.

What's pointless - is yet another thread bemoaning singers and their seemingly prima donna ways.

Please don't feel picked on or victimised , Grant. Not my intention. You're obviously very frustrated. My intention is to encourage musicians to think differently and not just have a go at singers.

I hope your current situation resovles itself - honestly I do. But I suspect more of the solution resides with you than you think.
[/quote]

This.. On the nail.

Course it helps if you can actually sing in the first place. Trouble is, people who front bands need to be highly strung people with a certain ammount .. well front. Which comes hand in hand usually with too much self esteem. Learn to deal with it.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1344873140' post='1770450']
Anyone can front a band- all it takes ( at the start ) is a person who is comfortable being out of their comfort zone. Very easy to get into. I used to front a band or two, whilst playing bass simply because the singer we had wouldnt do anything interesting, and also kept losing their voices on the day of a gig.

Its just practice, like anything.

Would never class myself as a real singer though. They are a different breed.
[/quote]
Mmmm.... something to think about I suppose, although the reason we wanted a singer in the first place was because I had a go at it when we started, and it wasn't pretty....In my head I thought I sounded awesome, reality bit me on the arse! :)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1344873315' post='1770455']
Respect to your thread as an individual thing but it's a common story round here - someone already mentioned to get ready for a flood of similar storie.

Yes , you have to be a certain type of individual. The type that gets sick of being at the bottom end of a power struggle that hampers their opportunities to make music and decides to get to the top of that food chain because the end result justifies the means. I assure you - all that takes is practise - but for some reason many of us think practising bass for 2 hrs a day for years is worth the trouble - but practising singing isn;t. We expect to be able to sing or not straight off the bat and the journey ends if we can't.

Confidence?? Front man skills?? All can be learned and all can be bluffed during the learning process.

If we don't want to sing - fine. But let's not tell ourselves we can't.

This weekend I'll be out playing while many musicians wish they were but were let down by a singer. I'll be playing and singing not because I'm gifted but because I believe in myself and I practised.
[/quote]
That's quite inspirational actually... seriously. Perhaps not such a pointless thread? Thanks man... like i said, something to think about. :)

Get yourself along to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179031-south-east-bass-bash-no6-surrey-saturday-29th-september-2012/"]SE Bass Bash[/url] &/or a Skype sesh with [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179031-south-east-bass-bash-no6-surrey-saturday-29th-september-2012/page__view__findpost__p__1694208"]McGraham[/url] - something I ought to progress, but whilst I can bellow at gigs I fear to inflict a Skype lesson on my family :blush:

As elsewhere I backed into taking a lead vocal on Saturday night .... and promptly forgot the words :lol: Still ought to persevere, though must remember not to record the results!!

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1344873598' post='1770468']
That's quite inspirational actually... seriously. Perhaps not such a pointless thread? Thanks man... like i said, something to think about. :)
[/quote]

I can assure you , Grant , that it comes from having been in the same shoes you're in now once too often and deciding I wasn't going to be forced into wearing them any longer.

It might not be the solution for you - others may be able to offer different possibilities - but what I think's important is that we try to find better ways forward than just complaining about an issue that's just not going to go away.

Unreliable or useless people will get known for that and therefore find their own level.

Most outfits realise that the whole deal takes more than just being to sing or play well. Of course, this are very important
and can define the band on that alone, but no one wants to work with anyone that is too much like hard work...

Arrogance in a certain way is necessary but you don't need a total jerk about it so you are best off without him..he'd let you down
in another instance anyway, sooner or later.

The band needs music chemistry and personal chemistry as well

but sure, even when you think you have those components it still needs work to keep things going..and you have good and bad times.
But I'd let this guy go, from the tone of your post... no question and he has probably done you a favour.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1344883548' post='1770654']
Having worked with two singers who were, shall we say, difficult people, I`ll never work with their like again. Life is too short, and music is my hobby, so I won`t spend my life/hobby with people who detract from it.
[/quote]

Yay, an instrumental band :D Play off the backline, don't bother carrying a PA around :lol: