Why become a member? ×

Chris Wolstenholme @ The Olympic Closing ceremony...

ken_white

So i was sat watching the closing Olympic closing ceremony on tv last night and on came Muse..

Was anyone else surprised to see Blue LED's on Mr Wolstenholmes bass??
Which leads me on to my next question..

What bass was it? or has he modified one of his existing basses??
For some reason i think it an Alembic bass but i'm not too sure.

Anyone else got any ideas??

Cheers Ken

It's an all graphite Status S2 Classic that's been built to Chris' spec.... there's more info on www.status-graphite.com

Here's my prototype 5 stringer:

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/AllGraphite.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/AllGraphitecloseup.jpg[/IMG]

I'm sure I could only see one string on his bass?!
Muse hate miming, so it may well have been his middle-finger to the organisers no-doubt asking them to behave lol.

Perhaps I was seeing it wrong though

Oh, it was a Status

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1344873062' post='1770448']
I'm sure I could only see one string on his bass?!
Muse hate miming, so it may well have been his middle-finger to the organisers no-doubt asking them to behave lol.

Perhaps I was seeing it wrong though

Oh, it was a Status

Si
[/quote]

Red White and Blue strings apparently but could only really see the white one.

So it's a custom status, and i'm sure it had more than 1 string on it from the photos i've found lol

[url="http://www.thestate.com/2012/08/12/2398183/2012-olympics-closing-ceremonies.html#.UCk6CKGPWuI"]http://www.thestate.com/2012/08/12/2398183/2012-olympics-closing-ceremonies.html#.UCk6CKGPWuI[/url]

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1344870994' post='1770401']
It's an all graphite Status S2 Classic that's been built to Chris' spec.... there's more info on www.status-graphite.com

Here's my prototype 5 stringer

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/AllGraphite.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/AllGraphitecloseup.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]lovely...

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1344875405' post='1770502']
Was one of his Statii, i think all of his Status basses have LED's don't they. On another CW related note, as i mentioned in another thread earlier, the fact that they dumped an SVT and 810 behind him made me laugh, especially as i don't think it was even plugged in.

Liam
[/quote]
Wasn't there a picture of him in the studio recently playing a Status that also had an SVT next to him?

Deffo a status. And the LEDs are great! I have some in my Streamline.

(Amp fan boy alert) his rig splits his signal into 4, all running at the same time - a variety of preamps and amp heads. That Ampeg was just for show.

Lovely seeing the Dickinson amp behind Matt Bellamy though. Awesome things.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1344883995' post='1770665']
Wasn't there a picture of him in the studio recently playing a Status that also had an SVT next to him?
[/quote]

In studio, yes, he has used SVT's, along with Markbass and a few others, but live he only ever uses his 3 Marshall DBS rigs. I've never seen him gig with anything else.

Liam

Just a bit irritated by the blatant tape covering Ampeg on the head and cab, then noticed that Ashdown was covered up for Madness bassist, then Fender covered for Pete Townsend back line. I didn't notice that the Logo Police had covered up the RR and Spirit of Ecstasy on the three cars!! I was wondering whether they'd have to cover Fender on the headstock of the Strats.

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1344887552' post='1770726']
Just a bit irritated by the blatant tape covering Ampeg on the head and cab, then noticed that Ashdown was covered up for Madness bassist, then Fender covered for Pete Townsend back line. I didn't notice that the Logo Police had covered up the RR and Spirit of Ecstasy on the three cars!! I was wondering whether they'd have to cover Fender on the headstock of the Strats.
[/quote]

All non Olympic sponsor brands were banned from any Olympic event. Any logos not covered would have been left visible as the manufacturers would have paid a handsome fee to the IOC.

Edited by mrtcat

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1344895675' post='1770923']
All non Olympic sponsor brands were banned from any Olympic event. Any logos not covered would have been left visible as the manufacturers would have paid a handsome fee to the IOC.
[/quote]

Yup - even the athlete's trainers if they were wearing the "wrong" brand got taped over.

Bellamy's use of a Dickinson amp may have been inspired - the logo is laser cut into the metal - taping over it means the speaker is taped over.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1344887142' post='1770720']
In studio, yes, he has used SVT's, along with Markbass and a few others, but live he only ever uses his 3 Marshall DBS rigs. I've never seen him gig with anything else.

Liam
[/quote]
But Beadie Eye, for instance, had 2 Marshall Plexis, 2 Marshall bass heads and 8x10s and 2 vox AC30s; Bellamy had his own amp and The Who had their own backline - seems odd that CW would be the only one to be handed something that wasn't his choice - so perhaps he's made the shift to Ampeg live?

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1344947912' post='1771468']
But Beadie Eye, for instance, had 2 Marshall Plexis, 2 Marshall bass heads and 8x10s and 2 vox AC30s; Bellamy had his own amp and The Who had their own backline - seems odd that CW would be the only one to be handed something that wasn't his choice - so perhaps he's made the shift to Ampeg live?
[/quote]

And Madness had Ashdown...

I only know that because of their facebook post.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1344895675' post='1770923']
[/quote]

Presumably that means that if anyone had used a Rickenbacker, as the shape is trademarked, it would have to be played inside a sack.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1344947912' post='1771468']
[/quote]

It's a possiblity, but there's no way i can see that Chris could condense all of his rig into one signal, and the Ampeg wasn't even plugged in. I did notice as well that there seemed to be a lot less stage space for Muse compared to Beady Eye and The Who. I think it would be a substantial farce to set up Chris' rig in 5 minutes anyway, you'd probably need about 10 people. The amp Bellamy had on stage isn't really part of his main rig, it's something that he uses to create feedback when he feels like it. The monitor engineer just sends a guitar signal to it when Matt goes near it.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1344948897' post='1771489']
The amp Bellamy had on stage isn't really part of his main rig, it's something that he uses to create feedback when he feels like it. The monitor engineer just sends a guitar signal to it when Matt goes near it.
[/quote]

What a waste :angry: ... can't they install a proximity sensor? :P