Why become a member? ×

Damned GAS

Guest MoJo

Listening to the tracks we play in my 'classic rock covers' band, particularly the Lizzy tracks, I felt the simplicity of a P-bass would suit better than the Stingray I am currently using. Rather than lay out the necessary for a 70's or 80's Precision, I convinced myself that an Ibanez Blazer would be the tool of choice so I started trawling the ads on the forum and on eBay. Incredibly I own a Yamaha BB414 and BB300, both of which do a damned fine P-bass impersonation so why am I thinking a Blazer would do it any better? Damn you GAS

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1344244746' post='1761531']...I convinced myself that an Ibanez Blazer would be the tool of choice so I started trawling the ads on the forum and on eBay. Incredibly I own a Yamaha BB414 and BB300, both of which do a damned fine P-bass impersonation so why am I thinking a Blazer would do it any better? Damn you GAS[/quote]

Don't worry - GAS has no sense or logic - that's the nature of addiction. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1344244746' post='1761531']
I convinced myself that an Ibanez Blazer would be the tool of choice so I started trawling the ads on the forum and on eBay. Incredibly I own a Yamaha BB414 and BB300, both of which do a damned fine P-bass impersonation so why am I thinking a Blazer would do it any better? Damn you GAS
[/quote]

It might be better. You'll never know till you've owned one.

:ph34r:

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1344246297' post='1761552']

It might be better. You'll never know till you've owned one.

:ph34r:
[/quote]

Thanks Spinynorman :lol:

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1344244746' post='1761531']
why am I thinking a Blazer would do it any better?[/quote]

Because you're a logical, self-sufficient person.
If the Yammies were any better, Ibanez wouldn't have made the Blazer of course. That would not be logical.
Get the Blazer!

blaze,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1344256267' post='1761745']
Because you're a logical, self-sufficient person.
If the Yammies were any better, Ibanez wouldn't have made the Blazer of course. That would not be logical.
Get the Blazer!

blaze,
bert
[/quote]

But then if the Blazer was better, Yamaha would've stopped making their basses! Either way, buy the Blazer, you can always sell it on if it's not for you.

Liam

You guys are not helping. You should be saying, "the tonal difference between the Ibby and the Yam would be so small as to be almost indistinguishable to your tired ears"

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1344257506' post='1761770']
I reckon you need a yamaha attitude instead :rolleyes: or a Dingwall B) or maybe a Shuker? :P
[/quote]

You're barred :lol:

Just work the BB300 - a reversed P pickup sounds better than the regular P layout in my humble opinion anyway. I've just done my last two gigs with my BB300 and it sounded reet good (to my ears anyway).

But on the other hand, if you want it, get it. If you don't like it, sell it.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1344259137' post='1761794']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I reckon the tonal difference between the Ibby and the Yam would be so small as to be almost indistinguishable to your tired ears. :D[/font][/color]
[/quote]

HEY! Giving him what he asks for is not the same as giving him what he needs! Show some responsibility, man! :)

best,
bert

[quote name='Commando Jack' timestamp='1344260018' post='1761815']
...If you get something that will imitate a P, it will start to grind on you and you'll eventually just want the real thing.[/quote]

This is very true - particularly if you're shallow, like me.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1344257506' post='1761770']
I reckon you need a yamaha attitude instead :rolleyes: or a Dingwall B) or maybe a Shuker? :P
[/quote]
[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1344259105' post='1761793']
You're barred :lol:
[/quote]

Brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave