Why become a member? ×

Need some interesting grooves to learn

newbass1000

Just an inquiry here, I've spent my last few months pretty much focusing on learning prog ( rush in particular ) so after nailing yyz, spirit of the radio, strangiato, etc, i've found myself pretty rooted to that style and unable to break out

really eager to learn some funk/soul to boost my repertoire, I don't think i've actually found a song I enjoyed learning in a good few months, last one was rhythm stick by the blockheads I believe,

Just wondering if anyone can reccomend any artists or songs which take a fair amount of technicality and have a pretty tight groove ( nothing crazy like teen town )

Cheers!

[quote name='newbass1000' timestamp='1343914652' post='1757244']
Just an inquiry here, I've spent my last few months pretty much focusing on learning prog ( rush in particular ) so after nailing yyz, spirit of the radio, strangiato, etc, i've found myself pretty rooted to that style and unable to break out

really eager to learn some funk/soul to boost my repertoire, I don't think i've actually found a song I enjoyed learning in a good few months, last one was rhythm stick by the blockheads I believe,

Just wondering if anyone can reccomend any artists or songs which take a fair amount of technicality and have a pretty tight groove ( nothing crazy like teen town )

Cheers!
[/quote]

Nothing kills groove quicker than technicality. And if you can't feel the groove, you ain't grooving. Reggae bass lines are so simple, and dead easy to play, but there's an invisible line between giving someone the uncontrollable urge to dance, and pissing them right off. Groove is the same. It's a kind of magic.

Work on getting ONE note to groove, use space and accent to make that one note groove. Set up the simplest, mid tempo, Boom Tish Boom Tish drum pattern, see if you can make that one note groove. When you can, and you're getting excited by it, do something with that one note that stops it grooving. Switch between the two and try to work out what it is that causes that those feelings. Then add little things to your grooves, build it slowly. Feel it.

Forget all that technical sh*t for now, it will teach you everything about technique and nothing about playing bass. If you want to groove, leave your ego in the bedroom.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343916021' post='1757274']
Work on getting ONE note to groove, use space and accent to make that one note groove. Set up the simplest, mid tempo, Boom Tish Boom Tish drum pattern, see if you can make that one note groove. When you can, and you're getting excited by it, do something with that one note that stops it grooving. Switch between the two and try to work out what it is that causes that those feelings. Then add little things to your grooves, build it slowly. Feel it.
[/quote]

This :)

Here's a few I've learned, all very distinctive basslines to get your groove on (but to be honest they're fairly simple as I'm not a very accomplished player). As per what's been previously said, it's all about the feel, the groove, the space and the accents, forget all the technicalities, just feel the funk. (Also you can find tab for these easily enough on the internet):

Deee-lite - Groove Is in the Heart
Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band - Express Yourself
Herbie Hancock - Chameleon
James Brown - SuperBad
Curtis Mayfield - Freddies Dead
Donny Hathaway - The Ghetto
Rick James - Superfreak
Outkast - So Fresb, So Clean
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc - killer bass line and so simple.

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1343921641' post='1757393']
Forgot to say I also recommend a book/CD called 'Funk Guitar and Bass' by Pete Madsen - it's got both tab and notation and covers everything from James Brown, RHCP, Parliament/Funkadelic, James Jamerson, etc..
[/quote]

I like the sound of this book :D

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1343919831' post='1757358']
Deee-lite - Groove Is in the Heart
Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band - Express Yourself
Herbie Hancock - Chameleon
James Brown - SuperBad
Curtis Mayfield - Freddies Dead
Donny Hathaway - The Ghetto
Rick James - Superfreak
Outkast - So Fresb, So Clean
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc - killer bass line and so simple.
[/quote]

Beat me to it.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343916021' post='1757274']
Nothing kills groove quicker than technicality. And if you can't feel the groove, you ain't grooving. Reggae bass lines are so simple, and dead easy to play, but there's an invisible line between giving someone the uncontrollable urge to dance, and pissing them right off. Groove is the same. It's a kind of magic.

Forget all that technical sh*t for now, it will teach you everything about technique and nothing about playing bass. If you want to groove, leave your ego in the bedroom.
[/quote]

yup awesome advice :)

Hi i'm an old skool bassist and the people that inspired me were Pino Palladino( Paul Young and Gary Numan) and anything by Duran Duran.....dont laugh! From these guys you get an array of basslines that require a feel and they carry a groove. May sound simple but there will be more to it! Have a listen :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Grooves-Ed-Friedland/dp/0879307773/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343929709&sr=8-1

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anthony-Vitti-Funk-Bass-Fills/dp/0876391307/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343929743&sr=1-1

are my current groove bibles - some great 4 to 8 bar funk/soul grooves/fills with loads of ideas...

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1343930655' post='1757549']
nice simple groove from Erykah Badu's bassist
[/quote]

that's what i love about funk grooves - they don't seem much but when you feel them, and the magic starts happening, they are absolutely unbeatable!

[quote name='newbass1000' timestamp='1343915233' post='1757256']
Ashamed to say I can't read notation yet, the thought has crossed my mind though!
[/quote]
[quote name='newbass1000' timestamp='1343915233' post='1757256']
Ashamed to say I can't read notation yet, the thought has crossed my mind though!
[/quote]

2 birds with one stone?